Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh, No! Not me with a UFO!

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 10:05

I need intervention. I haven't finished FMQing this quilt and I'm thinking of starting another project. Actually, I did that yesterday, Grandkids were here, it was raining, and I got out some scraps and we each made a chicken pincushion. (They turned out cute!) Now I'm looking at a piece of batik that I've been thinking about using in a landscape quilt. I'm the devout hater of having UFO's around and I'm begging for some guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh, No! Not me with a UFO!

Rita, take a deep breath! If you haven't set a project aside, then it's WIP (Work In Process) not a UFO. I can comfortably have 3 or 4 WIPs at a time. It's not "unfinished" until it makes it's way into a box or closet shelf and gets almost forgotten.

When creativity strikes, you have to go for it! If those batiks are calling your name, say "Yes!".

Kate

o

Rita, Kate is right. Sometimes I need to have several WIP, because some quilts can be really boring (I hope no one heard that). Then I make myself do a half hour of boring stuff before I go to the fun stuff. Or, like what happened yesterday... I couldn't get my FMQ going well. After ripping out the FMQ on a block three times, I decided to go on to something else.

So, I don't think an intervention is necessary... at this time anyway. We'll be on the watch for more severe symptoms.

o

I say "PLAY"! There's nothing wrong in stopping for inspiration. It'll boost your energies so you can return to the FMQing in a more relaxed frame of mind.

So if you think about it, the batiks will aide you in your FMQing, so therefore it's therapy!

o

Yeah, that's right! It's THERAPY!

("We'll be on the lookout for more symptoms." LOL!)

o

Merriam Webster definition: Definition of ENABLER: one that enables another to achieve an end; especially : one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior.

(just sayin')

o

I don't know WHAT you are talking about ;~))

o

Who?? Not us?!!?

o

Rita...it is well documented among associates and close friends that K8's middle name is ENABLER....it's not a bad thing ... We like to refer to it as coaching or providing positive reinforcement to that which you know to be ones true self... Too philosophical??!?
Go for the batik project !!! .. A little WIP is ok.... If you only knew how many WIPS I currently have ... You'd shudder I'm sure! LOL
V.

o

Enabler? Oh no, I'm just being supportive!

This post was edited by k8orlando on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 21:53

o

o

UFO's are really hidden treasures for the creative mind.

o

Well stated Nanajayne!

o

Love the card, Kate! I agree with what everyone has said. Sometimes you need to have a couple of quilts going at a time to:
keep your interest
give you a break
allow creative juices to flow that must,
and for another other reason that you can think of. LOL

o

"UFO's are really hidden treasures for the creative mind."

Yes!!!

o

I think some of us (that should read me) are sitting on a gold mine, treasures galore.,,waiting for creativity to strike.
Theresa

o

I have a very slow project - the hand applique.
I have a planned but barely started project - the Dear Jane.
I have one UFO - really! only one! - that's a cat quilt I started years ago and hated. I've never tossed out the couple blocks I completed, but they've been in a box for a long time. Maybe I need to reconsider it as a 'treasure' and see if I can't revive it.

o

Well.... I hope you are all satisfied. I've got a piece of that batik on the ironing board with a live oak fused on it. The quilt I was FMQing is on the side desk, rumpled up, forgotten, taunting. I hope you are all soooo satisfied.

o

Good for you Rita! I have 3 WIPs right now - my parents' queen size Card Tricks quilt set aside until I get in the mood to cut over 400" of binding strips, my cousin's baby quilt set aside until I get in the mood to cut fabric for the last 4 blocks, and a Granny Square queen size quilt which I am hand piecing blocks for right now because they are pretty blocks in brights and neons and what I am in the mood to work on right now. It just gets monotonous and boring if you only have 1 project to work on. And yes I have a UFO - my Sylvia Bridal Sampler quilt.

Best to you and have fun with your quilting,
Sandra

o

There isn't enough room on the page to tell you about all my "set aside to be finished later" projects! lol [I'm going to start a new acronym... SATBFL]

It shows a creative, and energetic mind! Yeah. Yeah. That's it!

o

SATBFL...that sooo works for me! Thank you
My SATBFL
1). Nieces quilt ( will be delivering in person to upstate NY in sept...so that is a must finish)
2) started a postage stamp...it's sooo fun, hard to stop
3) FMQing my brothers Christmas gift
4) PP hearts of all different size hearts....need to assemble the top
5) FMQ the lotto blocks won Dec 2013 (top is assemble)
6) FMQ the marmalade quilt...
7) assemble my version of Star-fall quilt
Oh dear...I know there are more...this is embarrassing...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here