Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

'Tree' quilt for camp

grammyp
12 years ago

OK everyone. I will be starting on the "tree" for camp tomorrow and am taking suggestions. Last year we talked about making a hanging to go over the fireplace in our work area. I was wondering if 3 x 5 ft would be big enough, or should I go bigger.

Also, for the background, should I make a "mountain scene" or just a solid color/print? I thought I may try my hand at a "landscape" and have an abstract mountain type scene behind the tree.

I think oak would make the most interesting leaf and offer a greater range of colors since they can be anything from yellow to red. We can also include green and brown if you like.

beverly

Comments (20)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I think 3x5 is plenty big. And your idea of landscape is fine if you want to go that far. She who makes tree should choose. (That's an old quilting proverb.)

Since we should consider security, it might need to be packed away or moved to an office each year for safety while we're gone. We could bring it out each year like hanging the flag.

I think we need a size of leaf. Jen's pattern is very small and maybe we should say 6" long or something. We need some room to write. Once you have tree drawn up, you can stand back and tell us what size would work well. And, do we want them all the same? Cindy mentioned maple as well so people might like to mix it up.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Once I get the tree size, I'll post a leaf size. I'm thinking 6 inches would be good. I thought of maple, but oak would offer a wider range of color options. We could choose a color family for each year. We could use maple leaves on the ground, after all, not all leaves are on the tree.

I think if they hung the quilt high over the fireplace it would be safe enough. We would just have them get it down so we can add leaves and hang in for the Saturday show.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I wanted to ask if they leave (no pun intended:) these quilts hung all year - or do they hang them during the retreat, so you "think" they are out all year.

Below is a link to an easy applique.

Mountains / landscape would be nice - but I agree with Linda's old proverb.

"Camp Cheerio" appliqued on wouldn't be too difficult-like the sign I've seen in the pics.

I really hope to be part of this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaves - applique

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Marsha~ They do really leave these quilts up. That's why we thought of adding one to our quilting space. Something for us to enjoy while we're there. As well as the scrapbooking group and the calligraphy group!

Can't wait to see what Beverly creates for us! You're the best!!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, at least we don't write on the windows.

I picked out fabrics and laid them out today. Tomorrow I will take another look at them and see if I still like them. I have to take DGS to the dentist in the morning so won't get to sew till after noon. Shall I post pics of the progress?

beverly

• polardream
    12 years ago

Oh yes! Yes! Yes!
    I really appreciate that you are designing - it will be great, I'm sure.
    Sue

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, here are the fabrics tossed on the floor for consideration. The idea is to "see" mountains in the background. The tree will actually have branches, and the colors are considerably richer.

beverly

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perhaps something more like this? This is the view from our work space. But I would change the pine tree to an oak.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Oh, I love the riding ring behind the tree! That really says "Cheerio!" I can do a fence with a decorative stitch on my machine if you want? And I like the foliage behind the tree, too. You could leave off the lamp post, mailbox, ect. but I like the road running along in the background.

Teresa

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome idea, Teresa. Should I do the background and let you do the fence before I put the tree on, or can you do it after? I want to try and have it as near finished as I can before I get there so can you do it after it is sandwiched? How about a wood border that looks like a frame around it?

Something more like this

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I think I can do the fence after you do the tree just fine. I'll bring my 12 wt. Sulky thread! Sounds like a plan!

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

You ladies have a BANG up plan!! I think this will be a master piece for sure!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

You girls are so innovative! It's going to be awesome!

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

If (big If) you were planning to do the Pine tree that looks like the real one - with riding ring and fence - it would be awesome. My dentist had a drawing a patient gave him of this huge dead tree you see outside of the window and it was so cool to look at that picture - then at the scene outside the window. The dentist moved - the building became a Safeway - the tree pic is in his new office. All that said - it would be very cool if you were planning on the pine tree & the multiple trunks.
    The colorful background could than be a collage of our leaves in front of the mountains.
    Just a thought.
    You are amazing and generous to do this for us Beverly!

P.S. I am now part of 'us'.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is what I have so far. It is 44 x 50ish right now. I'm gonna have to play with the tree to see what size it can be. Teresa, when do you think would be best to put the "fence" on? If you are happy with it, I can mail it to you now if you want to do it before camp.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Beverly,
    That is TOO COOL! You are doing a fantastic job on our behalf!
    Thanks so much!
    jen

• polardream
    12 years ago

Beverly,
    It's great! You are so creative to come up with a great quilt for the camp. Thank you so much for what you are doing!
    Sue

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Ahead is always better than the last minute - right? I've got over a month so I know I should be able to find the time to do it.

Looks great, Bev!
    Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

beverly-this is so good - thank you! Beautiful fabric choices!!

• gininmn
    12 years ago

That is going to be awesome! I wish I could join you and be there for the official hanging! And the quilt show, and the mice, and the games, and the quilting (heck, I could even make something with the HSTs I won last year), and, and... all of it.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA