Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Updated Retreat Information

jennifer_in_va
12 years ago

Here are details for Retreat. More than you wanted or needed to know, maybe!

Retreat is in North Carolina Thursday Oct. 6 thru Sunday Oct. 9. We all arrive at various times in the afternoon and unload the cars and start setting up our sewing spaces. Our first meal is dinner on Thursday offered at 6:00p. After dinner we head back to our space and set up, sew, talk, eat treats, etc. Everyone sews until different times...ladies are often tired after their travel.

Friday & Saturday there really isnt' any real schedule, except for meals at 8:00, 12:30 & 6:00 (Or something like that). Beverly is usually up early to take a walk around camp, others often sleep in until the last minute (ME!) Aside from meals, it's really just relax...sew, talk, etc. Camp activities like horseback riding, archery, rock wall, etc. are at our disposal if we so choose, but I don't think anyone every has! We do have a short walk across grass to get to the dining hall, but some will take the driveway where it's level, and others have chosen to drive to make it easier (or in the rain)

Typically on Sunday morning most will start packing up. Our last meal is lunch, and they usually ask us to make a cold cut sandwich at breakfast time and pack it up with chips, cookies & drink in a cooler that they bring to our space for us. We are allowed to sew all the way up to dinner if we really wanted to, but most will clean up prior to lunch and then scidaddle out. A few of us sew to the very last minute! This all depends on travel times, flight times, weather, etc.

Bring any kind of projects that you want to work on. Most of us bring more than we could ever imagine completing! Except Linda/Toolgranny & Fran who fly! We have cutting stations, ironing stations, and large tables put together if you want to sandwich a quilt. I have a portable design wall I bring as well. Everyone gets a 6' table to themselves.

Our space has leather couches and a flatscreen tv if you wish to take a break, read a book or take a nap. (Ask Teresa how the napping is on those couches!)

Those that can bring treats & snacks to share. I usually bring a case of water. We can also fill coffee, tea and hot cocoa at will in the dining hall all day. Meals are not typical summer camp meals. We have a gourmet chef cooking for us. There is fruit and salad bar at all meals. In the past we've had homemade pizzas, pork roast with roasted veggies, smoked salmon, pasta with various sauces and homemade bread, roast & potatoes, lasagnas. Brownies, cakes & cobblers for desserts.

Most campers will bring a small gift for each of the other campers. Some of us (ahem, me, tend to work on it when they get there!) Could be sewing related (FQs, spools, tools, etc.) or not. But this is not required! Nothing to stress over.

Weather could be cool VA Fall mountains, rainy/dreary dampness, or hot summer! It's a crap shoot. The camp is on the top of a mountain overlooking the valley. We've had some beautiful views of Fall foilage down in the valley! And some beautiful sunsets too.

Rooms are hotel-style with private bath and an assortment of bed arrangements (twins, queen, bunkhouse, etc) Some are first floor, some are second floor. We've never had enough campers to need to double up in a room, and it wouldn't change the price.

Cost last has been $207, 214 and last year $221. This includes everything: rooom, food and sewing space. I will collect a depost in a few weeks, then the remainder is due at retreat (cash or check) I make one payment to camp following our weekend.

If you've made it this far, a deposit of $75 (per person) is due to me by Sept. 1st If you need my address, email me through my page at the top.

Toolgranny is working on the carpool from the Charlotte Airport. Please keep us posted on how many extra machines we need to bring for all you travelers. As well as any other requests...Us 'locals' will do what we need to to make you 'happy campers'.

Did I answer all your questions? If not, feel free to ask.

Comments (57)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue~ I've very excited you are coming and can't wait to meet you!! It's really cool that we have so many long-distance quilters willing to travel!

Don't have the details about the quilt camp yet, but you'll be able to make it before or at camp. Your preference... We put the quilt together and present it on Sat. so there's plenty of time.

• robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

Where is Camp Cheerio located?My sister lives in Gastonia.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gastonia is about 2 hours south of Camp Cheerio.

Mary Jo's fabrics is in Gastonia! A wonderful quilt shop from what I hear!

Those flying into Charlotte are stopping at Mary Jo's along the way.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Camp Cheerio is in the upper NW corner of North Carolina, I think the address is Glade Valley, NC. You would take I-77 North toward Statesville, then US 21 bypass N toward Roaring Gap/Sparta and then to the camp.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

We kicked around ideas for the camp quilt last year but didn't make a decision. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them. I have contacted Teresa for help deciding on this year's quilt and we will have an update soon.

I am planning on bringing the mice and oatmeal cookies again this year. If there are any special request from those flying in just let me know and I will do my best to take care of them. Tim and I are so ready for this!

beverly

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Sue, thanks for the offer to share but my sister lives in Charlotte and I stay with her.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beverly & others - what camp quilts have you done in the past? I recall Teacups, Bookcase - Blocks from States. What else?
    Who gets this one?

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Those are the ones we have done so far. We didn't do one the first year, just didn't think of it. The quilts stay at the camp and are displayed in different areas. The States quilt is in the counselor's dorm, the Teacups are in the kitchen office area, and the Bookcase was intended for Shean's (director) office, but not sure where it ended up. Last year we talked about making one to hang in our work area. Teresa and I thought we could make like a large wall hanging of a tree trunk and have everyone make a colored leaf to add to it each year. She thought we could add a squirrel or bird from time to time just for something different. The leaves would have the member's name and be raw edge appliqued to make it easier for us at camp.

How does this sound to everyone? We are open to suggestions and help.

Beverly

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Or....if we did leaves of med. green, light green, gold, yellow, orange, red, lt. brown and med. brown, the tree might be colorful enough w/o adding a blue bird or gray squirrel?

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest fall foliage and something to do with us! (I hope to be part of us:).

I like the Tree Idea. Past Participants could send in a leaf with their name & state & and year they attended. You could definitely add applique items under the tree (like a quilt), or lady sewing that would add some whimsy to the scene.

Great Idea!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Tree idea seems fine. I like being able to add leaves each year for a new attendee and us older folks just add another date to our existing leaf. We can scatter our leaves this year in such a way to leave spots for more leaves without damaging the layout. Then anyone new to retreat will get a snapshot of our tree so they can make a leaf to bring with them that will fit in nicely.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the idea of the tree. I can really visualize it full of colorful leaves!

I also like the idea of adding dates to the same leaf each year we come. If we should just happen to fill the tree, it'd be totally appropriate to scatter them on the ground below the tree as well!

Here is a great oak leaf pattern!

Here is a link that might be useful: oak leaf

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

And, now for the tree. Hmmmm.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Oh, Jen - I forgot. If you need another machine I may be able to sneak one out. Let me know.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

I like the tree/leaves idea too. That's a neat Oak Leaf pattern, Jen. Would you want all one type of leaf? or different? like maple, elm, etc. I know real trees don't grow this way, but it would add variety! ;)

• polardream
    12 years ago

No worries, Fran.

I like the tree/leaves idea also. I am open to anything.

Sue

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I love the tree/leaves idea and wish my name could be there this year. I'm very excited though because DH Jim has heard me whining about this for days and yesterday said we should plan on being there next year! I told my quilting buddy and she said she wants to come too. So please don't get so rowdy this year that they ban the group next year because I'll be there.
    Kate

• grammyp
    12 years ago

There is a new thread for the "tree" for camp.

beverly

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Or Kate, you can just plan one for Orlando. Those of us who fly don't care. Find a room at a hotel they'd let us use for a weekend and we can rope in Gwen, Sharon and anyone else in the neighborhood. Make it spring and we'd have TWO retreats, one for the northeners and one for southeners!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

YES YES YES!!! Two retreats.

beverly

• polardream
    12 years ago

I LOVE IT! DH will drive the RV and hang out in Orlando while I quilt ... Would have done that this year but we have too many things going on so I'm flying.
    Sue

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Well, I may have gone overboard with the northern/southern comment (maybe southern and way southern?) but a second retreat closer to our Florida bunch would be nice. Bev can get there by car and I know how to get to the airport.

I'd host a west coast one but most live back on the eastern half.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

But, but, but... the Florida people WANT to get out of the heat and go someplace where the humidity and the temp aren't both 96 at the same time! LOL

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Thats right, Kate...wouldn't it be great to take a FL carpool up to the retreat? mmm, I can dream about it...maybe we should plan it for next year ???

Gwen

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

It's Official ~~~~I'm Going to Camp Cheerio!
    Booked my ticket! Done deal!

• polardream
    12 years ago

YEAH! I am so glad you are coming Marsha! I am looking forward to meeting you.
    Sue

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Yay, Marsha - woot! woot! woot!

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are up to 13 quilters and 2 DHs!! YEAH!!!

VA Jennifer in VA
    VA Trish -
    VA $JustaMomofSix - Katherine
    NC Teresa nc7
    AL Grammyp - Beverly & DH
    CA ToolGranny - Linda
    CO $PolarDream - Sue
    OH Sandlapper Rose - Jeanne
    OH Carol
    OH quiltpartner - Cindy & DH
    NB Faytay - Faye
    NB Nancy - Faye's friend
    MD MRG - Marsha

MA Fran (still thinking about it)

Trish is a friend of mine from quilt quild and she's joined GardenWeb today. Hopefully she'll chime in here to introduce herself! She may find herself at Mary Jo's prior to camp, so all you fliers...keep your eyes open when you go!!

Faye is bringing her friend Nancy who has agreed to travel with her. She doesn't quilt (yet) but is an artist and will undoubtedly find inspiration in the view of the valley below!

I've received deposits from Sue & Linda. Thanks! And already had Katherine's in safe keeping.

I'll try to get details about camp necessities out soon. Does anyone have a preference on what to use to play Left-Right-Center? We've done strips & charms. Would we like to do some other size or shape this year? (winners of the game take home the 'pot' of whatever we choose to play with; we play multiple times)

More to come....

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Looks like a great group this year. I am getting so excited now. I vote charms, they are so versatile. Perhaps we can do neutrals, brights, and misc. I am taking orders for goodies. If any of the "fliers" have special requests, speak soon. The mice and oatmeal cookies will be there as usual.

beverly

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Do you think I would have trouble bringing my Featherweight as carry-on? I wouldn't want to check her.

Faye

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Faye- I bought a soft case made for my FW last year. I think if you wrap and stabilize it inside the soft case,
    it will just fit under the seat. The soft case is really much lighter to carry. I selected a middle seat (UGH)because those seats have more room under them.
    Also, remove the needle-tell TSA Security what you have - no surprises - make it so you can unwrap and rewrap easily.
    Pack the accessories in your checked baggage.

This may be my personal item (purse). I want to avoid putting it in an overhead.

Anyone else have suggestions?

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

No, what you said Marsha is right. I use a soft case as well. Homemade but it works just fine. You can always put the pedal in suitcase and you can even take the fold up end off and bring the parts and your screwdriver with you if necessary to make it fit.

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

I actually have a soft case. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for letting me know it CAN be done. :)

Faye

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Things are sounding so good for this year! Carol and I are still "on board" and will be mailing our deposits. However, we are in SC not OH. (Just thought I would put us in our place! LOL)
    Jeanne

• polardream
    12 years ago

I don't have a specific case, but I have a SMALL soft sided roller carry on bag that I will line with foam to carry my machine. (or fabric ...)
    I don't have a preference for strips or charms, but just let me know how much I need to have!

I subbed at my old school today & the principal asked if I could work on Oct 10-11 ... not sure how tired I will be ...

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!
    Sue

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

VA Jennifer in VA
    VA MzSantaClaus - Trish
    NC Teresa nc7
    CA $ToolGranny - Linda
    CO $PolarDream - Sue
    SC Sandlapper Rose - Jeanne
    SC Carol
    NB Faytay - Faye
    NB Nancy - Faye's friend
    MD MRG - Marsha

MA Fran (still thinking about it)

Jeanne/Carol ~ Sorry to have gotten your home base wrong. We now look even more 'worldly'!

I'm getting excited! Haven't started packing yet, but thinking about what to bring. Have one Jinny Beyer kit here now, and just ordered another one! Plus, I finally got my paperpieced star kit with hand dyed fabrics! Would love to do that one too!

The only thing I don't have is any new quilts to show! The few I've done this year were all gifts and I've nothing to show for it.

I'm having fun working on your little 'gifties'! Planning ahead this year, you see, so I don't spend my entire first day at camp working on them!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Heard from Marge today, she and Rip are still thinking about coming.

What a great group! I am so EXCITED!

beverly

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Just heard from Marge again and they are coming. One more DH for the group.

beverly

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

It will be good to see Marge and Rip again. Such fun.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Jennifer - check went to the post office this morning - just in case you don't hear from me for a few days.
    That was on my list for Hurricane Prep! lol
    Can you tell I am excited about the Retreat???

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol~Got your check today (Sat)...

Here's our current list:
    VA Jennifer in VA
    VA $MzSanta Claus - Trish
    NC Teresa nc7
    CA $Toolgranny - Linda
    CO $PolarDream - Sue
    SC Sandlapper Rose - Jeanne
    SC $Carol
    NB Faytay - Faye
    NB Nancy - Faye's friend
    MD MRG - Marsha
    RI/FL Buteau3 - Marge & DH Rip

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beverly & Jeanne ~ Got your deposits today! thanks

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know. See you soon.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marge & Teresa~ Got your deposits.

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

Nancy and I booked our flights today. :) I feel like we are on our way... Deposit going in the mail in the morning.

See y'all soon! ^_^

Faye

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yippee, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

beverly

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Jen,

So sorry! I haven't been paying attention - shame on me!! I'll get my deposit in the mail tomorrow! I've thought about it once or twice...just didn't act on the thought! (that happens more times than I care to admit)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's fine, Cindy.

I have the same problem as you...remembering! I have 5 different lists in front of me at the moment!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Add one more to the list!!!!

Fran's coming too!!!!!!

That makes 15 quilters and 3 DH's!

• jackier123
    12 years ago

I just want you guys to know that I am jealous. :) I so wanted to come this year, but with my son's wedding happening on the 14th it was just not possible.

Jackie