Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO 2014 - August

K8Orlando
9 years ago

Welcome to the August LOTTO!

The lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. It's good practice and the winner will appreciate your efforts! Typically, the winner receives enough blocks to complete a nice size quilt. It could be YOU!

August - OCEAN is our theme this month - Waterwheel Variation block in watery shades of blue, green, purple. No white or beige in this one; use a pale shade of blue, green or purple for the light background squares.

Link to Waterwheel Variation block Waterwheel Variation

Here is our inspiration picture:

This shows the wonderful pattern this block makes:

The details:
- Each month there will be a designated block or theme; you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
- All blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation.
- Please include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
- If possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block. This is not a requirement, just a request.
- All blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing, unless you request that your name not be entered. Some months you might want to participate, but don't really want to win the blocks. That's OK.
- You have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Mail your block(s) to Valarie [littlehelen]. She will manage the collection of blocks and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Kate
Happy quilting!

Comments (27)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a couple blocks I made. In 'real life' the background of the second one is lavender; in this picture it looks kind of taupe.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Those are so pretty, Kate!! Fabric is washed n ready........ now......MAYBE can get them made up before August 31st!!!!! :)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Here's a few that arrived early...thanks to Kate, Theresa and Mary...

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Aaack!
    I see a mistake in my blue one. And I think the pinky one is really purple. Must be the lighting. Will try and redo the blue one. Why didn't I see that before?
    These blocks were made with leftovers from DGS's quilt. The fabrics are watercolour batiks. Appropriate for this month's block, I thought.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Theresa..it's the lighting, in person the block isn't pink...it's more grayish lavender and pretty. I did not notice the error in the block...we'd better call "Qat-quilt police detective extraordinaire" and have your cutter taken away ;-)

V.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

No, no, not that!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Ohhhhhh, those are going to be very pretty! Hope I have time when I get home to make a couple. I know I have shades of ocean as I did Bonnie Hunter's Blue Ridge Beauty pattern in it not too long ago.

SharonG/FL-IN

• redmary
    9 years ago

My August blocks

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Here's my August block. In the mail soon, Val.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

August blocks, done and ready to mail.........

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Beth, they look great...Lois your block arrived ...it's just as lovely up close. ....wow I've got to get my August blocks made!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey quilters! It's too hot to be outside! Go to your machines and sew up a couple of these lovely blocks for the August LOTTO. There's still time!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I have one to send.

SharonG/FL

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

mailed.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Mine was mailed the other day, Valarie.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    9 years ago

Sorry I won't get to participate this month - good luck to the winner!

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hi...who's online today...would someone pick a number from 1 to 8 inclusive so someone can win these 15 lovely August blocks.......

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Just came in from the HOT garden. How about the number FIVE ???? 5

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Number FIVE or 5 or V is Redmary...Congratulations to Mary on her August win!!!

V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Yay RedMary!! Congrats and enjoy those pretty blocks!!

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Good for you, Mary. Have fun with your new blocks. I was playing with some that I won last year just last night. I have to make a few more to get the size quilt I want. FIrst, I have to find the block instructions again. Another project for me.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Lucky you!
    Have fun with them.
    And I too just came in from the hot garden. Really humid today.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congrats, Mary!!!! Cool blocks for a hot summer day.

Lois, if you need instructions for any thing we did last year, let me know. I'm sure I still have them.

Kate

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kate. I found the block this morning. It was the Morning Star 2 from Quilters' Cache. The blocks are so pretty, but until last night I was stumped as to what to do with them. I have a plan now, I think.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Lois, Don't forget to use your color squares as leaders and enders. You'll have 2 quilts before you know it! :-)

ConGratz, Mary. Enjoy your blocks!

SharonG/FL

• redmary
    9 years ago

I am so excited to win August lotto! I am looking forward to doing something special with this group. Just need time to get back to quilting.
    Thanks!
    Mary

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator