Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay6271

Icing on the Cake - dan_the_mailman

kay6271
11 years ago

Here's where to post Dan's birthday blocks!

Comments (34)

• kay6271
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to post Dan's birthday!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Posting or not, I'm sending one! So watch out, Dan.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I'll be looking! Lol, this is fun!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Linda, it arrived today!
    And now I have a big decision to make... do I open the envies as they arrive, or wait and open them on the 13th? I want to wait until the 13th, but now I have one calling my name... Hmmm, can I make it 19 more days without opening them up? I don't know...

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Your block is headed your way, Mr Mailman!
    Hope your birthday is great!

• jackier123
    11 years ago

Posting your block tomorrow!

Jackie

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

this is just too fun!

is there any way I can have another birthday next month too??? lol, thanks everyone!

• kay6271
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mr. Mailman, your block has been posted!

Kay

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Jackie, I received your package today!

Now I've got two envelopes begging me to open them! I want to see what's in them, but I also want to wait until the 13th! What to do, what to do...

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Open every-other one, Dan! LoL!That way, you have 1/2 to enjoy now, and 1/2 to look forward to!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I'm gonna try to make it to my birthday before opening any. It's 2 weeks from today. Hopefully not 2 very long weeks...lol!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

2 more packages arrived today! Thank you Melissa and Virginia! WOO-HOO!!!

So far I've received blocks from Linda, Jackie, Melissa, and Virginia. I had myself an idea today. When they're all here, I'm going to lay out the packages like a lap quilt and take a picture. Then I'm going to lay out the blocks you all have sent in the same order, and take another picture, then post'em all. And telling you all what I'm going to do will help me keep from opening them up beforehand. Yep, that's what I'm going to do!

Everyone have a fun, safe, and fun holiday weekend!
    Dan

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I am making your block this weekend and mailing it next weekend when I am in NY state. Great idea for the pictures! Some years I opened the "squishies" as they arrived but the last couple of years I held off until at least my birthday. I enjoyed opening a whole bunch at once more than one every few days!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Kay, you're envie is safe and sound with the others.

Tuppermom, whereabouts in New York are you going? I visited a few years ago in the Adirondacks area and went to the Renaissance Village up in Sterling also. It was a great time!

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

We are going to Montreal for our daughter's final recital for her Master's Degree in Vocal Performance and usually go stateside and spend the night near Massena or Watertown. That way I can get my Joann fix and some other shopping done. It is also MUCH cheaper to mail things. We then cross back into Canada at Champlain. If we cross back into Canada any further west, we have to drive all the way through Montreal to get to DDs apartment. That's almost as bad as driving through Detroit....and the roads are almost as bad. lol

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Mailed your block last Thursday. You should receive it soon. I hope you like the relaxing beach scene in the middle square.
    Darlene

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I was too tired last night after a +9-hour out delivering mail, but I received a package from Patti! Patti, thank you for brightening my day!

Now I've got to start maintaining a list so I know what order to put everything in when I take those pictures...
    Linda
    Jackie
    Melissa
    Virginia
    Kay
    Patti

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Lois, your package is now on top of the pile. This is so cool!

Now I'm off to do some sewing for my fellow Virgos!

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Dan, your block will go into the mail tomorrow. Plans have changed and we aren't going into the states :(

I can't wait to see all of your blocks

Mary

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Today two blocks arrived in the mail! They were from Deanna and Mary.

That means my list now goes...
    Linda
    Jackie
    Melissa
    Virginia
    Kay
    Patti
    Deanna
    Mary

Dan

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Putting it in the mail tomorrow, sorry to be so late.

beverly

• wynative
    11 years ago

Dan - I found your envie! : ) Yes, I did misplace it... It will be on it's way to you Tuesday : )
    Marie

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Ladies, that's okay, you're just making my birthday celebration longer, thank you!
    If you're really feeling guilty, you can step in and take my birthday spanking if you'd like...rofl! Wow, can you imagine? Thankfully I don't actually get those anymore, but if I did, that'd be 47 swats! OUCH!!! The worst thing I have to worry about now is what happens at the restaurant when my parents and younger sister take me out to lunch. I hope the Outback doesn't do balloons or singing or anything. Anyone know?

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Forty-seven years ago, the nurse attending my birth wrote this note down on the corner of a page of a magazine so she'd know how to fill out my birth certificate. It's now in my scrapbook.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

That's great as long as you don't expect us to post our ages, too.

• kay6271
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dan's our Quilter of the Day!
    Happy Quilty Birthday to You,
    Happy Quilty Birthday to You,
    Happy Quilty Birthday, dear Dan,
    Happy Quilty Birthday to you!

May it be superb!

Kay

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Kay, that looks like an orange-flavored cake, which is what I'm getting for my birthday! Thank you, thank you, thank you! And even more thanks for not "baking" a chocolate cake for me! I love chocolate, but can't stand chocolate cake. It always tastes chalky to me...blecchhh!

I'm going to open up my envelopes later this afternoon after the mail comes, so stop back for pictures this evening! I can't wait!

Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday, Dan.
    Have a wonderful day!
    It will be great to see a picture of your blocks.
    (I don't know how people can wait until their birthday to open them. I am too impatient. LOL I'm sure it's a lot of fun to open them at once though.)
    Jeanne

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Have a great birthday, Dan. Enjoy your birthday blocks. I can't wait to see them. Lois

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Dan! Can't wait to see all of your blocks. I am sure you will make something fantastic from them.

Mary

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I've opened the packages I have today, and it was so much fun! I'm glad I waited because I just got more excited as I went along, sort of like a kid on Christmas morning, y'know? Care to see some pictures? Well then, let's start the show!

Here's the first picture I took of all the envies laid out like a 9-patch block...

Then, while I'm pulling out all the cards and reading them, my roommie finds one I dropped on the way to my bedroom...

I'll be able to put together an extra block thanks to those of you who sent extra pieces, thank you!!!

And here are the blocks I've received so far. When I receive Bevs, I'll post a picture of that block for you all to see.

Ladies, thank you one and all! The cards were great to read, and I'm looking forward to putting all these wonderful blocks into something which will keep me warm in the winters and remind me that summer is on its way! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME INDEED!
    Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

What wonderful blocks-
    Everyone will want to request your block in next year's swap!!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I've been thinking about how to quilt them into a lap quilt, and I think I'm going to do so with a 1-inch sashing between them. Now I have another dilemna, what color for the sashing? I've narrowed it down to either a white fabric, or one of beach sand. I have both, so it's just a matter of making that decision. Both fabrics have merit. The white would compliment the whites in each block, and the beach sand fabric would make the browns in the middle pieces of the blocks pop. I'm leaning towards the beach sand fabric... we'll see!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Bev's block arrived today, which means I can start sewing! Woo-Hoo!!!

Bev, thank you! I think how you used batiks to mimic the murkiness of water was fantastic! And copying the block to make the card? How cool was that?

Off to cut the sashing, and maybe squeeze some sewing in tonight...

===========================================================

AGAIN, THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR THESE FANTASTIC BLOCKS!
    -Dan

{{!gwi}}