Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QofTD 08/09/11 New technique

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

Is there a new 'Technique' or 'Method' you have tried lately ~ or one that you want to try? It can be as simple as a template, a ruler, or an actual method.

I completed a top using Judy Sisneros "9 Patch Pizazz" cutting and design technique. I plan to make more, and recommend her book. Once you understand her method, it is fast, fun and very creative.

I am planning to try Machine Trapunto. It will be a combination of methods I have read in books, but basically it is the use of wool batting behind the motif and cotton batting like normal, heavily quilting around the motif. More to it, but that's the idea :)

I also want to try the multi layer chenille - but I don't see that in my immediate future.

Please share new techniques you have tried (the good - and the not so good) or a technique you want to try.

Comments (12)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I guess the most recent "new" thing for me was a guild fun night several months ago...we made a Card Trick table runner using a Quilt in A Day book. I have to say, I didn't much care for the QIAD technique. For some reason you cut squares and rectangles too big (like 1/2" too big) then trimmed them down. Also, instead of cutting & sewing triangles, they have you use squares or rectangles then cut the corners off. It seemed very wasteful to me.

I took a machine trapunto class about 18 months ago. I enjoyed it and will use the technique again.

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

It is not new to me, but the latest quilt I finished, the manly plaid quilt, was another project made by the nickel squares (5' squares) method. And the next commissioned quilt will also be a Nickel Quilt. This makes about 5 or 6 quilts I have made using Pat Speth's books and techniques. The more I make, the more I am a big fan of Nickel Quilts!

the Ozark Maple Leaf Nickel Quilt I made:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pat Speth's web site

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

New to me this year - Presidential redwork embroidery (once I have enough presidents completed, it will become a quilt or wall hanging) and techniques using the X-Block Ruler. I really love using the X-Block Ruler because of the versitility of patterns and designs.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I almost have everything I need for the Dear Jane quilt (waiting on CD for patterns), but looking at the instructions, I will have plenty of new techniques to learn. CD is supposed to be here Friday! I can't wait!!

Robbi

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Teresa, I love your maple leaf quilt!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Teresa I love the quilt!!! I have Pat's books and I have become a big fan of the nickel quilts. I have the twister pattern from an older book and I was surprised that it is so popular now. I have never tried it because of the waste, but now I love scrappy so I can turn the scraps into something lol!!!
    I tried machine trapunto and I want to make some pillows. The way I was taught was by hand and you 'stuffed' the design with yarn. It was a slow process but gorgeous!
    The other technique is redwork, I bought the thread over a year ago and something else always comes up.
    Rosa

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

I got Paula Nadelstern's Kaleidoscope Quilts book about a year and a half ago. She has detailed instructions on how to make her method with template piecing. I find this method very freeing and a major springboard to creativity. It is very tedious, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

A technique that I used today that isn't exactly new as I have started doing its a few weeks ago is when I need to be exact on meeting points, as in partial seams, I mark all the corners or points with an awl prick that seperates the treads a little. It is easier to see and match then pencil or pin markings. I still match with pinning pc. togeather. I also make my templates from tracing onto freezer paper and ironing the templates to the fabric.
    Teresa, your quilt is lovily. I like the way you quilt it. I have Pat Speth's book "More Nickle Quilts" but haven't made any yet. Strange as I got the book out Sun. and have been looking thru it.

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

My newest technique is using the Twister tool. I first used it in March and have more ideas to use with the other size tools. I bought the two smallest sizes but haven't had time to try them this summer.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: twister quilts

• karpet
    12 years ago

This year I've tried two new techniques.

The first was using folded fabric with both squares and triangles
    squares-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
    triangles-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y

The second was turning charms on-point that Sharon shared-
    http://piecefullife-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2010/09/turning-charms-on-point.html

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Teresa, Love your leaves!!

Guess I need to break down and get a Nickles book of some sort. I have the 9-patch Pizzazz...even have the fabric I want to use. Just haven't started the process, but that is a design I really want to try. Too many quilts need to be completed at my house......

SharonG/FL

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

My latest is a set of rulers - Tri Recs rulers. I don't normally recommend specialty rulers, because the few I have sit around unused. But these really work, and work well.

They are for putting an isosceles triangle into a square, or making a divided rectangle. Difficult to describe, marvelously easy to do with the two rulers. It's all in the "magic angle", which blunts a corner, making it ever so easy to line the pieces up.

I'll post post a link, but it's available all sorts of places, including Amazon.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tri Recs Rulers