Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Retreat requests?

grammyp
10 years ago

Tim will not be able to come to the retreat this year, :(
So I will be coming alone and will have lots of room. Can even bring the van if needed. Just thought I would see if there is anything I can bring for anyone. I have packages from Linda and Sharon packed and ready to go. I will also bring an extra iron, rotary cutters, and rulers. Let me know if there is anything else I can pack.

Also taking requests for snacks. The usual will be there and I will have a small cooler for ice, but if there is anything special I can bring I will be glad to.

beverly

Comments (30)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I can also do requests as I am driving too. I am going to try to get there around noon to help Jennifer set up tables. BTW plan on taking home lots of books and magazines....I am bringing a boatload of them for the freebie table. For those of you with small quilt groups or guilds you are welcome to take the leftovers to them. I am bringing an extra case or so of water since that is all I drink, some homemade chocolate chip walnut cookies and whatever else I am in the mood for between now and then.

Jackie

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I love books, thanks.

b

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Ummm.....pound cake? Please?

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, mam, you got it.

b

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Could you bring a larger cooler in which to drop drinks to get cold, or cheese, etc. to keep cold? I would bring mine, but I'm not sure what vehicle I'll be driving yet...may rent a car again which may not be big.

I will probably make brownies or cookies or something... If I think about it, may grab a can of peanuts...

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I can hardly wait!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I'm bringing a cheese spread and crackers. Will get some ginger ale and some chips of some sort.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Will someone please bring a dry Swiffer?
    Good idea to bring a big cooler!
    And more books Jackie??? I love books!!!! I enjoyed the few I got last year........can't wait.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have an electric cooler I'll bring and I'll pack a Swiffer.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

My request is that it be next Thursday morning, everything is packed and I don't have to think anymore. Can someone make 'that' for me?? Please?????

Jen (who's head is about to start spinning in circles)

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deep breath, it will be okay. You will soon be winding your way up the shady mountain side to spend a quiet weekend sewing with a room full of chatty, sleep deprived, dumpster diving, snack eating, coffee driven women. Think your head is spinning now, just you wait!

beverly

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Looks like the weather will be beautiful! Any break from 90 degrees will feel like a treat!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Looks like we'll need a sweater! YES!!!

Thanks for the weather report...Have thought about quilt stuff, but not yet about clothes. Guess I should bring some of those! ha ha

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Now if that forecast will just hold up and actually happen! Guess you can cancel the ark, Faye! We are very green and soggy in NC.

Teresa

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicated.
    beverly

This post was edited by grammyp on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 9:22

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, bummer. Guess I need to be clothed.

One or two sets should be enough if I quilt through the night. If I don't go to sleep, then I don't need to get dressed in the morning=less to pack! Got it!

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I am packing up projects this morning for retreat. I am also bringing a big pile of recently finished quilts for show and tell. I have two though that do not have binding on them yet.... anybody need some retreat projects???? LOL I hate binding! I can't really make up my mind about snacks so I might just bring a bunch. :) I do know I am making walnut chocolate chip cookies and bringing lots of water. I am off work until after retreat! I have been so busy this year at work I forgot to take any vacation time. I want to just pack up the car and start retreat today.

Jackie

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I'll be packing up some water and the flavor packets to go with it. I can bring a cooler as well.
    Jen, I'll grab some peanuts / nuts and something else, just not sure what that something else is yet?
    I really have nothing for display this year...the few things I made were given away. I have one lap size scrappy top,but that's it...maybe I'll bring it since it's a small group for the display.
    Jackie...can't wait to see the books! I have the books you brought last year for the Chinese gift exchange and love em!
    I so wish I was off until departure date...but it's not to be. At least I have this long weekend to get myself together...just a few days and counting! Oh yes...I will be packing clothing, maybe even a comb ...
    V.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

My vacation started Friday afternoon at 4:31pm. Aaaah... my assistant just started working for us 30 days ago so this is the first vacation I've taken where I don't need to worry about what's going on in the office while I'm away. I know he'll handle it or find someone who can. It's an amazing feeling of relief! I can just quilt and have fun!

I don't have much for show and tell either because I haven't been very quilt-productive this year. So I'm bringing the t-shirt quilt even though its just the top. I can't believe I don't have anything else. Where did this year GO?!?

Jackie, I'm so glad you are bringing a bunch of quilts! It will make the railing display that much prettier.

Minimal changes of clothing, minimal personal care products (comb, shampoo, make-up, etc), even minimal shoes!, but as much sewing stuff as I can cram into my suitcase! Woo HOO!

For snacks, I'm making Ghirardelli-chocolate dipped pretzel sticks. (Unless I eat them all on the way to NC.)

Kate

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll throw in a few extra quilts for the show. Most of mine have been shown or given away. But we want the show to look nice Saturday.

Gonna have some great snacks, guess we will have to run every evening to work them off.

beverly

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Jackie, I will bind if you will sandwich. I have one maybe 2 (if I can get the piecing done in the next 2 days!) to sandwich. And I do an awful job of that :-)

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I should have shipped a box! I didn't think about getting help with sandwiching my big t-shirt quilt but that would have been great!!! But I don't think I have room to bring batting, backing, etc. I'm not really a clothing-optional kind of woman, but I'm beginning to see the space saving advantages of not packing any clothes.

I had so much fun driving up with Sharon and Rosa last year, and was spoiled by having a big vehicle to stuff full of everything we thought of at the last minute. Flying is more of a challenge because of the luggage weight restrictions, but it would have been so easy to ship a box to Val's if I had gotten my act together just a week ago!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I think the only exhibit items I'll have are some scrappy quilt top UFOs. Earlier in August I taught a scrap quilt class for our guild, so I'm bringing some examples from that and the print-outs for our campers if they want them.

I like to do binding! Once a show judge even commented on my excellent binding!

If the stars align just right, I will be bringing my smaller loom to work on winter scarves for gifts.

Teresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Jen...any thoughts on how to display the challenge quilts? I have small diameter wooden dowels, they are 36" long and I have 8, that would hold 16 perhaps...should I pack them up just in case?

Kate...there's always 2nd day air w/ UPS, if they are shipping on Monday, arrive Wed...could be an option, pricey though..

I'm in clean up / organization mode today, still need to do that sleeve on the challenge quilt...ok signing off to get that done and oh yeah..the label as well....

V.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Is it too late to ask - someone please bring spray sizing / starch to share. I think I may need a little. Thanks!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have all the starch/sizing left over from last year so I'll pack that up!

Valerie, My intention (I think) is to string clothesline across one 'frame' of the porch and clothespin the challenge quilts to it (or feed through the sleeve). If the dowels are easily packed, though, maybe you'd throw them in so we have alternative options.

Still packing...hope Katherine has enough room in her car!!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have all the starch/sizing left over from last year so I'll pack that up!

Valerie, My intention (I think) is to string clothesline across one 'frame' of the porch and clothespin the challenge quilts to it (or feed through the sleeve). If the dowels are easily packed, though, maybe you'd throw them in so we have alternative options.

Still packing...hope Katherine has enough room in her car!!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I will be hitting the road on thursday am...so if anyone thinks of something needed, just post. I have a can of starch, i'll throw in the bag.

DH made the batter, bless his heart and I did the baking...I'll be bringing dark chocolate chip cookies with cheeries and some with cheeries and walnuts...I'm told theses are healthy cookies....anti-oxidents and some other good for you stuff...must be the flour :-).
    V.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I am also leaving Thursday in the AM. I plan to be there around noon. I am bringing peanut butter fudge, milk chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and probably some chips. I can also pick up some stuff if anyone needs anything. Or I can bring extra supplies if those of you flying do not have room.

Jackie

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm excited!!

b