Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

wine in a basket

littlehelen_gw
11 years ago

Hi, A friend asked if I would make a quilt with a wine theme, so she could add it to her basket of wine for a charity auction...that was in March. I still consider my self a real novice at quilting,but I said sure,I'll do it...what was I thinking. Anyway, with the help of many of you on the forum for advice, (Marsha, the pattern choice worked great!) and fabric.com for wine fabrics, it's finally finished. It's a tad busy for my tastes, but hey, with a glass of red wine in hand, a little spillage will never be noticed!

This is my first FMQ quilt ... my learnings from this quilt:

-FMQ is not scary

-The BSR is my friend

-Volunteering when you aren't ready is foolish

-Seek out and follow the advice on the forum.

Now on to the next project (for me :-)!

V.

Comments (22)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

You did a wonderful job. I love Marsha's pattern. I don't think it is too busy at all and your choice of fabrics and border is perfect. You deserve a blue ribbon.

Be careful. When they see this they might ask for more.

• mnbobbi
    11 years ago

What a beautiful quilt!- the fabric choices and placement seem just perfect!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Yes, yes, yes! The 9-Patch Pizzazz was an excellent choice! You did a great job on putting it together!!

SharonG/FL-IN

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Super job!!!
    Theresa

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Looks great!

And here is an example where a light binding works great!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Applause! Applause for the quilt and for your bravery!

I hope you took some close- up pictues of the quilting. You'll want to look at them a year from now to mark your developing skill.

I'm so glad you joined the forum! Its a great place to learn and to share our successes.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I love it!!!! Your fussy cutting is perfect and appealing; the 9 patches force the eye to flow easily.....and your FMQing looks very good. This should bring high $ bids.
    I found the 9PP to be very addicting! perfect for a 'Theme Quilt' and the Wine Motifs just shine. Initially, I also thought the technique had a busy look, but after visiting 2 of my wine quilts - they were gifts -and hanging them in our Guild's quilt show, the busy-ness added to the wow factor!
    You should be very excited and above all else....very proud!
    You are making a label for the quilt right??????
    I love your fabric!!!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Jen's right about the light color binding - it is perfect!!!

I agree with Kate-you need to take close-up pics of your quilting, front and back in different places for the future.

We are so lucky, as quilters, to have instant , digital pictures to help us along the way.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words, it's encouraging!
    Yes, I'll do a label or just write it on the backing w/the appropriate pen I read others have used, which sounds easy to me. I like the 9PP, and will do another in the future!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

The quilt is beautiful. The theme, colors and overall coordination of binding, borders, etc. are perfect. Lucky winner who gets the basket. Even though red wine stains wouldn't be too bad, I'll bet they don't stain it, it's too pretty.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I think it turned out beautifully! And I love the border on your quilt and the way you did the binding on it. Awesome job! I have never done FMQ on the sewing machine, but hopefully will learn that at some point in the future. What type of batting did you use on this wine quilt that you did the FMQ on? What does BSR stand for? Congrats on getting another quilt finished!

Best to you and TFS!,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Brava! It's a beautiful quilt. I don't think you're a novice any longer. Congratulations on a job well done.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone!!!! Perfect pattern for the fabric and the border and binding add tons of eye appeal!

You are definitely pass the 'novice' stage!
    Rosa

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Very nice! Love to see what quilters do with the 9PP design. I've been giving that some thought as a future project.

Yes, what does BSR stand for?

Teresa

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

That's amazing! I love the placement of the fabrics, and the binding is a great choice. You don't look like a novice to me!

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BSR: Balance stitch regulator - part of an upgrade when I traded in and up on a bernina. It kept the stitches even while I stumbled through my first FMQ. It was intimaditing at first...but I've started a quilted tote today w/ another design. I took a quick photo of the back. LOL this is just too addicting...I've got to get the laundry done, the dogs want to go out..% *#!! :-)
    Sandra, I'm not sure of batting,standard cotton I think...it was on sale at the little quilt shop where I've been taking lessons.
    V.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

That is terrific. I think I need to make one for me.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• vicky4x4
    11 years ago

It's great!

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Love It! You did a great job!
    Darlene

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Excellent work! Really like the color choices and pattern.
    Murphy

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Littlehelen,

Great job...adding my Congratulations to all the above comments....!

So glad you posted...especially all the things you learned!
    Gwen