Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Official 2013 Forum Challenge , part 2

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 8:50

The other thread has reached its limit, so I am starting Part 2.

This weekend I worked at quilting my challenge and began to plan the binding. I decided to try out my tying stitch on my machine as I have never used it....bad decision.....! It took me a lot of time doing this stitch to hold the 3 quilt layers together - and this was just a small wall hanging! I could have FM quilted the challenge in a fourth of the time. Oh well, you live and learn.

I'm happy with the way my challenge idea turned out. I'm going to call it "Abstract Windmill" -
"Abstract: having only intrinsic form with little or no attempt at pictorial representation or narrative content"

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Official 2013 Forum Challenge , part 2

Well I finished quilting my challenge this weekend too. I still need to bind it and put the hanging sleve on it.

Jennifer, when do you need to receive the quilts? I know it's coming up soon.

o

Funny, I didn't know there was a limit on the number of posts a thread could have. learn something every day.

Lola, you may know better than anyone how long the mail takes from your neck of the woods to wherever... And it depends on who you mail it to. So you can just for yourself when you need to get it in the mail. The week of camp has as Labor Day Monday, so it should arrive to someone the week before (the last week of Aug.).

You can mail to me in VA, to Beverly in AL, or even Teresa in NC. Really, to anyone that's driving to camp. You can find names on the Retreat sign-up list.

o

Lola...If you are sending a block in for the August lotto, mail you challenge quilt along w/ the block...I'm driving to the retreat...happy to deliver!

Teresa...all i can say is :-) LOL

Putting finishing touches on my challenge quilt this week....that's all I will say on the subject..:)

V.

o

Linda's has arrived safely at my house and I will bring it to the retreat. I promise not to peek.

beverly

o

I can hardly wait to see pics of all your challenge quilts.

o

Val, thanks for the offer - the only problem is I don't think I'm going to end up with enough time in August to make a lotto block this month.

I started working on the binding of my challenge last night. It's amazing, binding makes it look better...

o

Lola...that's fine...I'm doing the August lotto block drawing at the retreat...so you've got time if you want to participate.

Seems like folks have s l o w e d down in August...not as much activity....vacations winding down and getting ready for back to school...slow month all around.

V.

o

It's ready to mail! Yahhhh! Thought I'd never make it. Had second thoughts about adding quilting (quit because of the trouble with the fusible), but the binding's on and it's going in the mail TODAY!
LindaB/CA

o

YAY!!! Can't wait to see it!

o

Re: the 'Chaaaaaalllllenge' ~~~ Dum-de-dum-dum-duuuuuum.....!

Smiley

o

LOL

o

Linda I got a squishy in the mail from you today~ I promise not to open it before retreat. ;)

o

Sewed on the hanging sleeve last night and I am done!

I'll have to say, I'm kinda loving my challenge! It's more artsy fartsy than my usual traditional stuff. Doesn't matter if I win a single vote or not......I'm well pleased with what I made. Tried a new tying stitch on my machine (well, new to me) and a new look to the background areas.

Teresa

o

Wonderful, Teresa! That's what this was all about...stretching beyond the 'comfortable' and trying something new.

Can't wait to see it!

o

Mine has taken yet another "adjustment", but it will be finished! At least it is small enough to be quilted on my Janome.

beverly

o

Thank you, Jennifer, for taking care of it for me. I agree this was a stretching exercise in my learning curve. Hope the iron on crunchy part survives the folding for mailing.

I enclosed stamps for return postage. Hope everyone has a wonderful time at the retreat.

LindaB/CA

o

"iron on crunchy part" ....man on man...I'm such a novice on this quilting stuff...
Love the artsy fartsy comment...my first design was supposed to be artsy fartsy, but it was all fartsy and no artsy... lol
Can't wait to see everyone's
V

o

I am getting anxious to see all the challenges.They all sound so interesting. Wish I could see you all at retreat but not an option.

o

I'm still trying to quilt mine! The tension is messed up on my machine that I can FM on and I'm stuck! I'm trying to get a workaround. I'm running out of time!

Robbi

o

Just to clarify... we aren't going to be looking at the backs of these, right?

o

safe to say that the back will not be part of the voting... lol

o

Wait a minute! My back is better than the front! Not fair.

o

Robbi, I feel your pain.

beverly

o

Oh no! I like the back of mine! I was counting on extra points for neatness.

Just kidding. I've NEVER gotten extra points for neatness.

o

Whew - it's in the mail. Jennifer, it should arrive at your house on Monday. I have to say, it turned out to be quite a challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pictures. I bet we have a very wide range of quilts. I wish I could see them in person.

o

I'm glad to hear we aren't looking at the back! My back has dark fabric and light on the front, so I was going to do the thread the same way, but I don't like how it looks on the top. So, light thread in the back, too. Ugh..... Still trying to quilt this thing!

Robbi

o

Sorry I'm missing retreat again this year but just have too much going on. I'll look forward to seeing the challenge quilts as well. I love challenges even though I've never even got an honorable mention in one.

o

Done! (except for the sleeve, but I need something to do on the drive down, right?)

:)

o

Done! (except for the sleeve, but I need something to do on the drive down, right?)

:)

o

not if you're doing the driving!!

o

o

o

Yes, Lola. I received it! I kept meaning to come here and post, but I kept forgetting.

o

I'm done!!! Unless I need a label. Do I need a label????

Robbi

o

If you can identify your quilt to take it home with you, then you don't need a label!! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here