Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

This is the first...

ritaweeda
9 years ago

Well I've done a lot of dumb things while quilting, but this is the first. While I was merrily FMQing this morning near the edge I suddenly noticed that a large section of extra batting was flipped under and being quilted to the bottom of the backing. Thankfully, the batting and the backing are the same unbleached muslin color, can you believe that?? So instead of picking out the stitches I just very carefully clipped the batting in between the stitching lines and pulled it out, there are still some fuzzies left right under the stitching but they aren't very noticeable. Please don't tell the quilt police.

Comments (14)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, RIta! I'm guessing the remaining fuzzies will come out in the wash, don't you think?

It would have been so much worse if you'd accidentally cut something! :)

Donna

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

This is the closest we get to the Quilt Police at my house:

Sounds like you fixed it. I'll take creativity over The Rules anyday!

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I'm sure a lot of us have done something similar (but I won't say who they were!) You found a quite acceptable way of handling it. Good job!

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

Done that too lol! But I had to take out all of the stitches, glad yours worked out better.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I feel your pain. I will be frog stitching today myself.

beverly

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I just did the same thing the other day with my practice quilt square. Somehow it "attached" itself to the quilt I was FMQing. Thankfully, I noticed it after one block had been quilted, but I had to take out all the stitches. Argh!

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

"frog stitching"? Is that like rip-it, rip-it?!? LOL!!!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

I'm frog stitching...but I did it to myself.... I decided to be creative and use a contrasting thread for FMQ.....yuuukkkkyyyy! A touch would have been fine and some will stay, but not for the whole quilt...ohmeohmy. The whole quilt was not completed, but at least a third. So a frog stitching I have chosen to go!
    If you have nothing better to do with your free time, all rippers are welcome to Hampstead Md.. 24/7 ! :-)
    V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

gotta love those 'saves' !!!! (lucky for me, tho...the Quilt Police don't have my number. Yet.) ........i'll hide!

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I've done another dumb thing, now I've gotta do some "frog-stitching" - (too funny!). I was making a pillowcase and was doing a French seam, I was supposed to sew it the first time on the right side with a 1/4 inch seam and I did it with a 1/2 inch seam. I've been needing some plain white pillowcases and I priced them and just about fell out they were so expensive. So I'm making them from white muslin. I'm using the pattern at All People Quilt to make them with the roll-up method. I'm also doing a white-on-white machine embroidery decorative stitching on the hem part to fancy it up.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I told this before but it is so much like Rita's story.
    I do most of my sewing on the kitchen table next to a bright window . I don 't always take off the tablecloth and yes, you guessed it. Caught under and sewn to the quilt. Lots of laughing at myself but I still leave the cloth on.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Great stories, but I especially love Kate's quilt police cat!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Great stories, but I especially love Kate's quilt police cat!
    LindaB/CA

• wendyfaye
    9 years ago

Haha! Love the cop! :)