Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaceysgranny

Help with points on triangles

jaceysgranny
11 years ago

Can someone please help me to understand why my points come out completely to the edge and leave no room for seams on the flying goose patch? I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,

Nancy

Comments (7)

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

What method are you using to make the FG?
    My quess, you are stitching the line a bit too close to the outer edges. Move it a less than 1/8" in toward the center- on both sides. Make sure to press extremely well to get a flat seam (a good habit for all blocks). You should have 1/4" beyond the intersection.

When you sew the blocks together, sew one thread to the OUTSIDE of the intersection of the point --just one thread width-this room allows the pressed seam not to eat up your point.

It is very, very important to start with crisp(starch), pressed fabric, cut accurately.

Hope this helps.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Nancy, it would help to know what method you are currently using. What size are you cutting your pieces? Are you sewing diagonally point to point, or are you off-setting your sewing line by 1/4" inch from the point to point diagonal? Are you using a rotary cutter and mat, or are you cutting by scissors?

If you are using instructions from a website, let us know which one and that could help us diagnose the problem too.

I'm sure we can get you sewing pretty points in no time at all!

Kate

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

This is often caused by not sewing a true quarter inch seam. Try samples of this seam and measure. If still does it, move in a thread or two and measure again.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I think this tutorial on Connecting Threads is good and shows several ways to make FG - from one at a time to 4 at a time.

It also gives a formula to cut the small squares (sky) and the rectangle (geese).

When I first started making them I also had a problem getting them accurate. I started with the basic method and starch to keep them from shifting until I was happy with the way they looked. I don't trim until I press and make sure my seams are where I want them.

Determine the height of your unfinished Flying Geese block. This is the shorter side of the block. We wanted ours to be 3" high, unfinished. Cut the two smaller squares 3" x 3" of your "sky" or background fabric.
    To calculate the rectangle (goose), add the measurement of your two smaller squares together and subtract 1/2":
    Formula: 3" + 3" - 1/2" = 5 1/2"

Here is a link that might be useful: FlyingGeeseTutorial

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

If you are making them for the August Lotto, you'll want the rectangle (goose) to be cut at 3 1/2 x 6 1/2. The easiest way, but maybe not the fastest, is to cut two squares of the sky fabric 3 1/2 x 3 1/2. Lay one over one end of the rectangle and sew point to point on a diagonal. Press it open, making sure it lines up nicely with the rectangle, then trim off the excess 1/4" from the seam. Note: to make a bonus triangle, sew 1/2" from the seam before you cut off the excess, then cut between your sewn lines. Voila: free half square triangle!

Then, when the first sky corner is done, lay the second one on top of the rectangle and sew that one from point to point, press and trim. You should have a goose point, ending 1/4" from the edge.

Let us know if any of this helps!

• jaceysgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your help. I am doing the 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 rectangle and two 3 1/2 squares. I have been pressing as I go but will try pressing and trimming after the 1st sq. Before putting on the 2nd sq. Nancy

• jaceysgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to thank you all again for your help. I hope I finally got the hang of it. Whew! I did a LOT of ripping out. I've made pinwheels and bow-ties and snowballs and even a few appliques among others so I don't understand what my deal was here. lol Anyway, it's fun being a part of your group and I'll be sending this in. I don't know if I'll be making more or not right now but at least I learned a new pattern. Thanks!
    Nancy