Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rene54

finished Strolling the Block

Rene54
16 years ago

Well I have just uploaded the pictures for my Strolling the Block. It is on my Flickr site and I invite you to view.

For new members I will tell you that last year some of us decided to have a challenge with a quilt from HGTV, Simply Quilts. The quilt was a set of 12 blocks of little houses, each represented a month. Each month we did a block, I am not sure how many joined in or have completed their blocks. But I have finished mine. In this year I have already made 2 quilts and a baby one too. So I knew I did not have the stemina to do another quilt,so I had to figure out a way of putting my blocks together. My blocks are a little different because I made them to represent my area, one hit by Katrina in 2005, and I made the decision to "write a book", so I invite you to view my new book. Rene

Here is a link that might be useful: Rene's Strolling the Block

Comments (15)

• redpenny
    16 years ago

I love what you did Rene I looked again at all your wonderful quilts and I love your hangbag you are the MOST TALENT WOMAN I KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE ARTIST!
    Hugs,Mary

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Rene this is awesome...I am speechless with tears...bringing back the most terrible tragic event I ever watched on TV. Your work is incredible and I think you have done a wonderful job of depicting an event in history that we never want to forget or to ever happen again. May I ask, are you back in your home?

I have viewed other pieces of your work you have posted on Flicker...have you shown any of it...it is real artwork with fabric and you are very talented.
    Jean

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Those are just awesome! And very moving because it represents your area and real life happenings. I'm very impressed!!!

• tuppermom
    16 years ago

Rene

What an incredable piece of art. I was moved to tears reading it. Hope your road home is becoming smoother as tome goes on.

Mary

• ironkit
    16 years ago

Wow. That's amazing. I can't find the words to express how neat/moving/cool the book is.

I agree with Jean - you should show your work.

~ Kit

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

They are fantastic, Rene! What an artist you are!

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

Oh my what a story.. Awesome work... A true masterpiece.. grace

• patce
    16 years ago

Words are so useless when describing an artist's work.Your book needs to be shown/seen by many more than on line. Hope you can find a place to do that.Bravo! Pat

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Great book. I think your book tells your story so much better than a quilt would have.

• createandsew
    16 years ago

Your work is truly inspiring - I can admire and be one of your audience, since I can only dream to be as skilled at your handwork and artistry. Thanks for sharing with us. What a beautiful way to record a most devastating event that shows how hope emerges in the human soul.

• maggie_sue
    16 years ago

Rene, what a great piece of history you have recorded! I hope we never have to experience that again!! Your work is inspiring!

• kathryni
    16 years ago

Rene,
    I can't begin to express how moved I am by your work. Your artistry and skill are amazing. I hope there would be some way for a wider audience to be able to see your beautiful work beyond the internet. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Kay

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Rene..thank you for sharing your book. What a remarkable way to tell your story!

• mamabear4
    16 years ago

I cannot say enough to praise what you have done. You have preserved a piece of history by making these blocks and telling the story of a very great devastation that you have lived though. This will become a Memorial. It will become a valuable and cherished item of family history. It will have value for years to come as those who did not experience this will learn how it affected you. They will be able to read and talk about what happened to this area at this particular time in history. Your brave efforts to "save" the feeling of this memory and pass it on to future generations is a gift of love. You are to be commended!
    As others have said, this should be displayed for other to see. Your idea was a one-of-a-kind keepsake that will be treasured for generations to come. Do not allow anything to happen to it, other than preservation.

June in Cincinnati

• coalaska
    16 years ago

Rene,

absolutely beautiful interpretation of the BOM. Your heart shows through in your artistic work.

Cheryl

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks