Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? July 13-14

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I made 4 blocks today for a row quilt that my small quilt group is making. Then I cleaned the pool and went grocery shopping. This weekend I want to work on the Barn Quilt Along and Hello Moon blocks that need to do to catch up. When I get caught up on these blocks, I want to start a new quilt. I bought a Bali Pop and pattern at the quilt show in June and am excited to work on it.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (17)

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

I fixed a block today where I had sewn 1 piece in wrong. It was for my $10 Quilt class so had to have it done so I basted the rest of it together to take to class. When I got home I fixed it. I also cut out my new $10 Quilt block and hope to get it sewn together this weekend. We are going to Montreal on Tues for a few days to see our DD. We will be home for 10 days or so then going to Illinois for my family reunion and $10 Quilt is the day after we get home. If I don't do it now it might not get done. I also hope to get the rest of the pieces cut for Grandson #3's "Big Boy" quilt. I need to get it pieced this summer so I can quilt it on my friend's longarm in the fall and get it to New Zealand for Christmas.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I'm working over the weekend, but I went to the sit and sew tonight... I sewed binding on the rail fence quilt I started last September... I dread hand sewing so much that I've waited this long. I brought my vintage machine tonight and the ladies loved it, but I didn't use it much... just to fix a spot on the binding for about 5 seconds. We talked and ate a lot and I don't think I even got 12 inches worth of stitching done... but I met a lady who said she has some old Bernina digitizing software the she will sell me for way less than Bernina wants for the current version (they want 2000 dollars!), so that was nice...

My granny died on Tuesday after a 5 month battle with cancer and this was a nice distraction for me... she was a hand quilter so I feel like I'm carrying her legacy by continuing to quilt...

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

... So sorry to hear about your Granny....my thoughts and prayers are with you.... You honor her memory in carrying on the tradition... With sympathy, V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what this weekend will bring for me. Today I'm running kids all over creation while DH attends the funeral of a friend. I have my Challenge top ready to quilt, as well as another mini that needs simple straight line quilting. Might try to get those done.

Also got my fabric dye in the mail yesterday and may try to dye some background fabric for another quilt.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Linda, I have 9 barn blocks completed.....how do you plan to put them together?

Bobby, I'm sorry about your granny, but I'm with V in that by quilting, you honor her.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing this week-end. Maybe get some strips cut for sashing. Hope I kept the WOW fabric I was using with the blocks that are made. Might make a pillowcase for the QOV quilt and maybe a couple for her little boys.

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

In short, no I am not gonna be quilting this weekend. Last night I dug around in my stash and lay out four or five nice yardages of brown and red prints and tans to inspire me. I've collected this material over a couple years and sat it aside and the next one is likely to come from this collection. Just haven't decided on a pattern yet. They come across as oriental and I grabbed the fabrics on faith as I found them that one day it would all come together in a special quilt.

Sorry to hear of your g'mother's passing, vacuumfreak. I know you've mentioned her before.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

My condolences, Bobby. Loosing our elders is so sad. They are our link to the past.

I've been cutting up the rest of the Markmekko scraps into strips to make Chinese Coins quilts for my great nieces. I have also washed the fabric for a quilt for my aunt and uncle, which I might start. Either that, or I might start the sea turtle quilt I have had ready to go for over a year now. It's quite complicated and will take a long time, so I've been putting it off. Plus, it's just for me, and those seem to take a back seat to the quilts with intended recipients.

I hope everyone has a wonderful summer weekend, whatever you do.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother! When you've written about her it sounds like you were very close.

Jennifer, I'm sorry for the loss of your DH's friend, too.

My DH & I finished re-upholstering the chair this morning. Glad that project's done! It's not perfect, but it's about 1000 percent better than the old, old, old cover that was hanging in tatters and stuffing hanging out everywhere. :)

I just finished making a block for a comfort quilt, so I'll write my message on it and get it ready to mail.

This afternoon I'm planning to layer and quilt my wall hanging and get it done this weekend, too. If I have time left this weekend, who knows what else will inspire me? LOL I'm reading a library e-book that's due tomorrow, and I have about 600 pages left!

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear of your grandma's passing vacuumfreak, but think it is great that you are carrying on your family's needle-arts tradition.

I spent a few hours earlier this week with my favorite S-I-L designing quilt labels on her computer that she is going to embroider for me soon. That was a lot of fun. Each time we do this she tries to teach me a little more about how to do it - I still have a lot to learn. I am working this weekend on my friend Christy's grandbaby quilt, have completed the first 2 rows and am about half way done with row 3, there are 5 rows of blocks total. So hoping I get all the hand-quilting done for it by the end of July. Our RV trips earlier this summer were fun, but am glad to be home where everything I need to quilt and crochet is easily accessible and I have more time to spend on my hobbies when we aren't traveling. We need rain so bad here in central Louisiana, our grass is brown and dying. I had to water my large back yard flowerbed for the first time yesterday evening since my pink dinnerplate hibiscus was not producing viable seed pods. Hoping we get some rain soon.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss Vacuumfreak.
    This morning I made a small tumbler quilt (15X18) with tumblers cut from scraps. I made a barn block this afternoon. Sharon, I have made 8 barn blocks and don't know exactly what I am going to do with them. I want to make a few of the silo barns in other colors.
    I think I will sit on the porch and read this evening.
    Linda OH

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing Vacuumfreak. Quilting not only honors her, but as you said it's healing for you as well. I hope it keeps all the good memories of her shining in your memory.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Spent all day yesterday trying to make a house block I saw in a book. Since my internet connection is spotty I wasn't able to print an acceptable pattern until today. Guess I'll get back to it tomorrow, but had to go to Mom's group home today to meet with the in home care nurse. It took a week, but finally Kaiser agreed to come out to help her instead of having me drag her in again. Guess they don't think it's a problem to drag a 94 year old with Alzheimers and mobility issues in for wound care!
    Rant over. Love having quilting in my life and oh so glad my Mom is getting good care.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the sympathy :o)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Just finished sewing the label on to this quilt for our great-granddaughter due in Sept. I had seen the pattern in a magazine and loved it. I was able to download the pattern and then went about trying to find the fabrics. I could find most online but some were hard to find. Then one lucky day, I found the whole kit on sale at Fons and Porter. Then I only had to buy the backing. I had it LAQ last week so now it is ready to send off to Calgary.
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the pattern and the colors Theresa.
    Linda OH

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Theresa... The colors are perfect and the design is adorable! Nicely done and congrats on the GG daughter.
    V.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful baby quilt. I love the pinwheels. Congrats on your new GGD.

Best to you,
    Sandra