Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynative

HELP! Consew Rotary vinage machine in cabinet

wynative
10 years ago

I have the opportunity to purchase a Consew Rotary machine in a BEAUTIFUL hand carved cabinet. I was unable to find any information about them so I called the company in NJ and spoke to a guy there that said yes they are still in business but only for industrial work and have not sold home machines in over 75 years. Due to space & storage shortage, the company got rid of or destroyed all info concerning them and in their opinion - the home machines have no value.

Does anyone have one of these? or know anything about them? The lady has agreed to sell it to me for what she paid and I think it is a great deal but I would really like to know more about it.
Thanks in advance!
Marie

Comments (13)

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

I searched the images for the machine. It looks like a good sturdy machine. The fact that the company is still in business shows the commitment to quality. Bonnie Hunter on Quilville has many vintage machines she adopts and uses, but I have never heard the Consew mentioned. Also, the lady who is the original owner and sewer willing to part with it after all this time is interesting. If you have the room for it, go for it...after testing it and looking it over carefully. The cabinet sounds beautiful.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: Consew Rotary sewing machine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Is it a sewing machine or a rotary cutting machine? I'm confused......

SharonG/FL

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

There is a Vintage Sewing Machine group on facebook that is very active and helpful and a few of the members are in the business of servicing and selling vintage machines....a wealth of information. There are also lots of other forums dedicated to vintage machines.

Maryv

• calliope
    10 years ago

Rotary refers to the bobbin action on sewing machines. Some of my antique machines have oscillating or vibrating shuttles, rotary shuttles are your round bobbin machines.

• wynative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info ladies : ) I will be checking out the Vintage Sewing Machine group for sure.

SharonG - I believe it is a sewing machine but it does have rotary written on the name plaque.

I will post pictures after I pick it up : )
    Marie

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, I wish I'd seen this a few days ago!

I have a Consew industrial machine, and it is a fabulous workhorse!

I haven't ever seen one of the home machines, but I'd snatch one up in an instant. Being a completely mechanical machine, it shouldn't be impossible to find replacement parts that will work, if necessary.

Gwen's site shows only the industrial models.

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Oops, I deleted part of my own message, LOL!

I was going to say, I can probably figure out threading paths and such by comparing your vintage machine to mine. Consew is pretty consistent in their manufacturing and design.

• wynative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mary - thanks for replying : ) I plan to pick up my new machine on Friday and will post pics then. Thanks for the offer to help.
    Yes - the site Gwen posted is for the industrial models but maybe I will be able to get some things for it, if they are interchangeable. If not, maybe my singer stuff will work as I have 3 more of those. These older machines are becoming an obsession LOL
    Marie

• wynative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My new Consew : )

• wynative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up of the machine.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

She is beautiful!!
    Yahoo groups have a vintage group - lots of help & knowledgeable people. Once there, search for a Consew group.
    Search for the right products to clean her before you touch her with anything stronger then a damp soft cloth. Her decals look great and you can damage them easily if you use our modern day products on them.
    Have fun and get this baby sewing!

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

What a beauty! May you enjoy many special sewing times together!

Gwen

• wynative
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Magothyrivergirl - thanks! I have never used Yahoo groups - but I am game to try and find it : ) Thanks for the cleaning tips also - she is pretty dusty and it looks like someone oiled her at one time and was quite generous with it...

Gwen - I haven't sewed on one like this since I was a child - my Grandmothers. I will need to get needles, the strap and figure out how to thread it after cleaning before I even attempt but I am pretty excited about it : )

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource