Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Youth quilts

Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 22:38

These are larger than baby quilts, so I will call them youth quilts. I wanted them to be a bit more "mature" so they can take them to camp if they want. They are for good friends grand babies. Now to get them in the mail.

Paisley's quilt:
Paisley's quilt

Paisley's quilt back

Kelan's quilt

Kelan's quilt

Kelan's quilt back

Now to get started on the ones for the race in October.

beverly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Youth quilts

Beverly, those are great quilts. Does the block have a name. Of course it does. They are perfect for youngsters who have outgrown their baby quilts. I'll bet the kids love them. You did a wonderful job. Lois

o

Thanks Lois, the pattern is the disappearing 4 patch block. I like a quilt to last long enough to get loved to death.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Disappearing 4 patch

o

beverly, Great quilts! That is one of my favorite pattersn. So simple but always turns out great. Like your choice of backing on the first one. Perfect for that quilts. Great job. TFS

o

Love the pattern and your use of color. Lucky recipients!

o

Those are great quilts for youths.
The recipients will love them.
Nice pattern choice.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

"I like a quilt to last long enough to get loved to death."
Exactly! And these WILL be. They're great and that is a pattern I would like to use.

Kate

o

Love the kids' names :)

Also love how these quilts turned out. Great use of the contrasting fabrics.

What size blocks did you start with?

They will love them!

o

I have spent a good part of the morning looking at all the D4P sites. Getting my quilting fix and maybe some actual motivation to get at it.
Love your quilts.
Theresa

o

Great quilts, Beverly! I like the block pattern!

Donna

o

I love them!! I had forgotten about that D4P, I made 1 block to try it out and have no idea where it is. I do remeber my 4 patch in the center did not look as good as yours.

Littles ones change likes and dislikes so fast, I agree it's a good idea to make a quilt that they can use and not out grow.
Rosa

o

Great quilts, Beverly. Just waiting to be 'loved to death' by a couple of kids!

SharonG/FL-IN

o

Thanks everyone, I love this block for a quick quilt. I started with 7 inch squares on these, but next time I think I will use 6 inch so I can use my June Taylor (it will only cut 12 inch length) to cut them apart.

(I can't believe I was able to log in at work!)

beverly

o

Great quilts!

I, too, love to make quilts that can grow with the kids. Though the 'baby' quilt I'm working on now I think will be good until the age of at least 12 given how large it's growing to be.

o

Great work GrammyP, they look so fun. I particularly like your use of the black w/ them (also the white), makes them pop w/ high graphic contrast!

Love the overall quilting, is that free motion? Wonderfully swoopy.

Also, I like the 'youth size' idea. Can you tell us the overall finished size pls?

Thanks much for showing this, it reminded me I tried this block a while back & forgot about it. This prompted me to find the 3 blocks I made & 6 more I had cut & marked from some pastel squares I was given (5" I think). I'll have to combine these into something!!

Lucky, kids indeed, well done!

o

Those are great quilts! Perfect colors and design for 'youth", which those tweens and teens can be a challenge. I've got four great neices/nephews all at that age and get what you mean...they will love em! Great job..applause!
V.

o

Great quilts Beverly. I especially like the way the colors are arranged on the first one. It looks like you were able to use up a few scraps while you were at it.

o

I agree with everyone, they are perfect for young people. Or I should say they are like sooo coool!
I love the pattern and your use of black with warm colors in one and white with blues in the other. Thanks for the pattern link as well.
Vasu

o

Thanks everyone. The quilts finished 48 x 60, and I did use up lots of my scraps (not that you can tell by looking in the sewing room). I'm thinking about making me one just for the fun of it.

beverly

o

I love your youth quilts. They look really modern which the kids will love.

Best to you,
Sandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here