Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Youth quilts

grammyp
11 years ago

These are larger than baby quilts, so I will call them youth quilts. I wanted them to be a bit more "mature" so they can take them to camp if they want. They are for good friends grand babies. Now to get them in the mail.

Paisley's quilt:

Kelan's quilt

Now to get started on the ones for the race in October.

beverly

Comments (19)

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Beverly, those are great quilts. Does the block have a name. Of course it does. They are perfect for youngsters who have outgrown their baby quilts. I'll bet the kids love them. You did a wonderful job. Lois

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lois, the pattern is the disappearing 4 patch block. I like a quilt to last long enough to get loved to death.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Disappearing 4 patch

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

beverly, Great quilts! That is one of my favorite pattersn. So simple but always turns out great. Like your choice of backing on the first one. Perfect for that quilts. Great job. TFS

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love the pattern and your use of color. Lucky recipients!

• day2day
    11 years ago

Those are great quilts for youths.
    The recipients will love them.
    Nice pattern choice.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

"I like a quilt to last long enough to get loved to death."
    Exactly! And these WILL be. They're great and that is a pattern I would like to use.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Love the kids' names :)

Also love how these quilts turned out. Great use of the contrasting fabrics.

What size blocks did you start with?

They will love them!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I have spent a good part of the morning looking at all the D4P sites. Getting my quilting fix and maybe some actual motivation to get at it.
    Love your quilts.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Great quilts, Beverly! I like the block pattern!

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love them!! I had forgotten about that D4P, I made 1 block to try it out and have no idea where it is. I do remeber my 4 patch in the center did not look as good as yours.

Littles ones change likes and dislikes so fast, I agree it's a good idea to make a quilt that they can use and not out grow.
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Great quilts, Beverly. Just waiting to be 'loved to death' by a couple of kids!

SharonG/FL-IN

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I love this block for a quick quilt. I started with 7 inch squares on these, but next time I think I will use 6 inch so I can use my June Taylor (it will only cut 12 inch length) to cut them apart.

(I can't believe I was able to log in at work!)

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Great quilts!

I, too, love to make quilts that can grow with the kids. Though the 'baby' quilt I'm working on now I think will be good until the age of at least 12 given how large it's growing to be.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Great work GrammyP, they look so fun. I particularly like your use of the black w/ them (also the white), makes them pop w/ high graphic contrast!

Love the overall quilting, is that free motion? Wonderfully swoopy.

Also, I like the 'youth size' idea. Can you tell us the overall finished size pls?

Thanks much for showing this, it reminded me I tried this block a while back & forgot about it. This prompted me to find the 3 blocks I made & 6 more I had cut & marked from some pastel squares I was given (5" I think). I'll have to combine these into something!!

Lucky, kids indeed, well done!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Those are great quilts! Perfect colors and design for 'youth", which those tweens and teens can be a challenge. I've got four great neices/nephews all at that age and get what you mean...they will love em! Great job..applause!
    V.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Great quilts Beverly. I especially like the way the colors are arranged on the first one. It looks like you were able to use up a few scraps while you were at it.

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone, they are perfect for young people. Or I should say they are like sooo coool!
    I love the pattern and your use of black with warm colors in one and white with blues in the other. Thanks for the pattern link as well.
    Vasu

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. The quilts finished 48 x 60, and I did use up lots of my scraps (not that you can tell by looking in the sewing room). I'm thinking about making me one just for the fun of it.

beverly

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I love your youth quilts. They look really modern which the kids will love.

Best to you,
    Sandra