Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

I hate it when ...

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

... a project falls apart!

Last week I bought a pretty floral border print as a jumping off point for this baby quilt. I bought fabric from the entire line in order to pull it all together.

All along the way, I told myself I needed to plan & cut carefully since I bought this in Lancaster, PA while up for a wedding. I couldn't just run out for more if I messed up.

I planned well...only something went wrong. Tonight's goal was to get the borders on. Got them all mitred and ready, set them to pin, and 3 of the 4 are too short! UGGGHHH This really stinks!(okay, actually I really want to use a different adjective, but figured I can't here)

My tired mind thinks I'll use these wrong border cuts pieced together for a center on the back with scraps of the other fabrics to fill in. But my tired mind can't wrap around the measurements...guess it'll be tomorrow's goal, also.

Comments (12)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Sorry. I am sure you will think of something special when the pain disappears.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Can you use corner squares in a different fabric instead of mitering the corners? Maybe even add a square of the other fabric in the middle of each side? That might add enough extra length so you can still use this border on the front as you intended.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Were we in the same room? LOL . I did something similar on Saturday...put the borders on a quilt, mitre up the corners...an hour later I remembered I wasn't going to mitre the corners,but do something totally different for the border. Well, no ripping for me, it will be as is. You've got some choices ... a day's rest from it and all will be well!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Quilt math is Hard, harder than regular math. And measure twice, cut once doesn't always work either. I am sure you will come up with a creative way to make it all work. Good luck.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Jennifer, I was going to say the same thing Kate did. Either that or use straight borders instead of mitered.

Donna

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I agree, see if you can use corner squares, or perhaps just a contrast fabric on opposite corners.

beverly

• calliope
    11 years ago

Kate's idea sound very workable and if it makes you feel any better, I'll bet all of us have 'been there and done that'. Usually when I fall short on a fabric, it's going to be a teensy, tiny bit......fraction of inch. Yes, it stinks.

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Ha. Knowing you (as we do), this will turn out better than planned. It will seem better in the morning, I'm sure.

Breathe... :)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, Faye. Yes, I 'breathed' and all is good. Catastrophy has been averted!

I was able to use the mitred borders on the front, add a flange instead of a sashing, and the top is complete! Victory!

Tomorrow I get fabric for the back and maybe I can get it quilted in the next day or two. Pictures to follow when complete.

Thanks for the support system! Worked like a charm!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Isn't wonderful when mistakes turn into blessings??\

• gininmn
    11 years ago

Glad it worked out Jennifer. What's a flange?

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A flange is like piping without the cording inside. A piece of fabric folded wrong sides together and sewn into a seam with the fabric sticking out on the right side of the fabrics. (Think 3-D)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz