Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnesd_gw

Help!! First Landscape Quilt

agnesd
12 years ago

This is my first landscape quilt. It's the view from my cousins house in Chile. I have most of the picture figured out but was wondering about the snow capped volcano's upper portion. It will be off white but should I use separate fabric for the shading? Was thinking of thread painting but I have never attempted that technique. Any advice about anything in the photo would be a help. I am using batiks.

Comments (7)

• agnesd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I think that I would like to see a batik with shading used if you could find one with the correct coloring. Another option would be to use the shading markers that are available now. I have seen them used by "Nancy Z" when she demonstrated landscape quilting.

• bonica
    12 years ago

I would try paper piecing the mountain using the same fabric, just different areas of it. Maybe this would give you a subtle shading effect. I might even try it with putting the snowy top and dark bottom fabrics together before hand and doing the whole mountain in one pp section.
    This may give you a nice effect especially if you're piecing that cloudy sky with soft curves. I dunno. It's just a thot.
    As for thread painting, IMHO, it's not as easy as you'd think it should be and ripping out THOSE threads is truly annoying!
    I've done a lot of shading with markers on floral pieces and it works very well and looks great. Start with light strokes and keep going over the same area until you have it right. Do not let you pens linger on the fabric as they will bleed.
    Good Luck!
    Don't forget show and tell!
    Bon
    :)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

The featured speaker at the last Guild meeting was a local artist who talked about a variety of techniques - her favorite was cutting out pieces of the perfect shading from misc objects in different fabrics to achieve the look she wanted in landscape and picture quilts. You have to dissect other prints and solids to get the correct shading & texture. She then used needle turned applique when constructing. (Clear as mud, right?)
    It is a beautiful picture. Good luck.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

A beautiful picture and a challenging project!

I haven't done a landscape so probably can't help at all, but I have seen and admired them. I especially like the Landscape Row Robins, where a picture is cut into 5 vertical strips and each member of the robin does one of the strips.

I like the idea of using batiks because the shading can be so subtle and would seem to compliment this picture. A little thread painting (after some practice on scraps!) would be perfect for the snow and sky details.

Please keep us informed! I want to see how this turns out.

Kate

• equilter
    12 years ago

I have taken a couple of classes where tulle is used to shade. Tulle comes in many colors and there are some smokey shades of it, too, that could probably add a subtle shading. Good luck! Eileen

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I was just going to recommend tulle as well. You could experiment with cutting out the desired shape and appliqueing it over the white.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County