Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Guess what happened at joanns today!

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

I have tomorrow off from work, and want to work some more on my woven quilt, so I went to joann fabrics for more batiks today. I chose 16 different types, and needed 1 foot of each. While they were being cut, one of the workers I've gotten to know came up and asked what I'm working on now. I hauled out my woven block (pictured here) and explained how I was first weaving the fabrics, then sewing them together, creating both the top and bottom of my quilt at the same time. While I was explaining it to her, some of the ladies behind me in line were apparently listening in, because they started asking questions and wanted me to show them what I had done. Lo and behold, here I was, teaching a quilting class at joanns! They were writing down the directions, amount of fabric I used, the width and length of my pieces, everything you could think of. Lol, I loved it! I also told them about our forum here and invited them to stop by. I paid for my fabrics, and walked out of the store with a huge grin on my face. It was totally impromptu, but it was a grand ol' time!

Who knows what's next, eh? When I finish this quilt, I'm going to submit it to a few magazines. Wouldn't it be cool if I found my way into a quilting magazine?

-Dan

Comments (15)

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Fantastic! Hope to see you published soon.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Try and get the process copyrighted I heard a poormans copy w is to write it out mail it to yourself but never open the envelope there fore you have it dated.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Way ahead of you Minnie. And you are right, that is the fastest way to get yourself a copyright. I work as a rural carrier and see it happen from time to time. If you have an idea, write it down and use as many details as possible, then mail it to yourself. That cancellation date is what makes it official, and has proven many cases in court. The thing to remember is, it can't be opened until you are in front of a judge.
    Copyrighting my idea though would be like trying to get a copyright for making a 9-patch block, in my opinion. I've always been taught, and I feel the same way, that ideas and tips about sewing and gardening are to be freely shared, not bought and sold. That would take the fun out of it all, and I'm definitely having a ball with this! I wouldn't care if McCall's Quilting paid me, but it would be absolutely fantastic to receive my monthly issue and see me and my quilt within the pages...lol!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Dan, check out this site Must be that great minds think alike.
    Theresa

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/02/woven-jelly-roll-rug.html

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

WOW Dan and Minnie I never heard of that - great idea!!

Mr. Dan, IMO men have an edge over us girls 'cause us girls are the majority in quilting and we are so very excited to have the males join in.

I met a very nice man in my rural neck of the woods and he has just been quilting about a year. He has his quilts for sale hanging out on the shady clothes line and he has sold 3.

I gave him our site address and invited him to join, hopefully he will find the time.

Submitt the pattern to everyone and keep us posted!! I have seen some members self publish and sell their patterns.
    Rosa

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Theresa, I checked out that site, and our directions are pretty similar. I like it! Thanks for sharing!

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

In my papers somewhere I still have a children's story I wrote about 40 years ago in a sealed postage cancelled envelope !!
    "I wouldn't care if McCall's Quilting paid me, but it would be absolutely fantastic to receive my monthly issue and see me and my quilt within the pages...lol!" I agree Dan

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Dan I meant to thank you for the info on the copyright.
    I often wondered if it was true

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Interesting topic, it reminded me of this article put out by Leah Day, who so readily shares her tutorials for free on her website and invites everyone to use them freely in their work. I'm kind of in the middle on this, since I'm not a professional, I don't worry about others using anything I come up with, but if I were to start making a living off of it, I might feel differently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copyright Terrorism

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

That is so exciting!! I love it when I can talk quilts with someone. I don't have anyone around here that I can do that with (unless I go to the LQS). Good luck with your new design. I love batiks, so I love what you're doing :-)

Robbi

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

It really is fun to get involved with other people in fabric shops. I recently helped a lady pick a backing and binding for the wonderful quilt she had made for her granddaughter, that was very fun and rewarding.

If you Google "woven quilts" you'll find a really cool book detailing technique, it's called "Simply Stunning Woven Quilts". I used her method to make a small mug rug, I wanted a tablecloth effect and it worked really well.

Thanks to your photo and the other link posted, I now feel like weaving something else!

Here is a link that might be useful: The book-

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

FlamingO - your mug rug quilt is adorable!!! I love the polka dot border to pick up the color from the bird. The woven tablecloth is really well done!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Dan, that's great that you introduced some people to another technique! It's always fun to teach someone who is so interested.

• colleenny
    11 years ago

Dan, maybe you should volunteer to teach a class at Joanns. Colleen

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Dan, maybe you should volunteer to teach a class at Joanns. Colleen

I was thinking the sme thing and with a man teaching the class !!! the class will be full!!