Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ever done this?

Posted by dan_the_mailman (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 21:36

So, this morning I was cutting strips to use in a quilt I'm currently working on (with Bump looking on in the role of "administration"), and I got an idea. I took a bunch of strips and wove them into a basketweave pattern, up and over each other. It looked pretty interesting, and would really be easy to sew together, just go along each side of each strip and the block would quilt itself. I'm going to have to play with this idea I think. Has anyone ever done this?
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ever done this?

I haven't done it with fabric because I'm not a raw edge fan, but I've done it with leather strips in the days when I was making leather bags. It's a beautiful effect.

o

I have a pattern for a bag that does that on a foundation. I might try it eventually but would probably use bias strips with a folded edge.

o

I have a pattern for a purse that is woven like that but you sew the strips into tubes so there are not raw edges. It might be very cool done the way you describe stitching both sides of the strips. We will, of course, need to see a picture!

o

I think I like the raw edges more than the finished ones using tubes would provide. I'll have some time this afternoon hopefully, and of course, there will be pictures...lol!
Dan

o

Here's my purse that did this... Tupper, it's a fun purse to make/have!

I like the woven effect.

o

Jennifer, that's cool!
I made my block today, using 2.5" wide strips of batiks. I like that they're printed on both sides because that allowed me to do both sides of the eventual quilt. My block turned out to be 16" square, and has a bit of a rumply look, as you can see in the picture. When I sewed the strips together, it quilted the block at the same time. I'm going to call my experiment a success for the following reasons...

1) Both the top and bottom sides are done at the same time.
2) The raw edges give it texture, which I like a lot!
3) It's super soft!
4) I won't have to quilt it when I've finished, it's already done.
5) If I leave it "as is", I'll have a reversible quilt with a raw and rough side, and a smooth side.

-Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here