Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Sewing room remodel

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I know I'm lucky to have a room I can use almost exclusively for sewing/crafting/etc. I only have to share it with some storage, lots of books (that's a good thing) and the occasional guest when the guest room overflows with company. So I'm not complaining. But I do have to share that this remodeling of the room is hitting one bump after another. First we both got sick the weekend we planned to start. Then we found water damage when we pulled up the carpet - still waiting on a plumber to let us know how expensive and how much drywall they have to cut up. Tonight I couldn't wait any longer to try the bright paint I'm going to use just on the bookshelf wall. The rest of the room will be gray with lots of white trim. I was hoping the yellow would cover in one coat and bought the expensive stuff because in their commercials it covers everything! But as you can see, it's not even close to covering the bare strips where the shelves were. Tomorrow night I planned to start painting in earnest but now I think I need a coat of Kilz first. One more delay...

Comments (19)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Kate, With most of that yellow covered up with books and using gray on the other walls, it won't be bright at all . But, until the books are up, you might need to wear sunglasses. lol Just kidding..... Thanks for sharing...

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I tried that 'one coat' paint too! Mine was a pale pink and it didn't cover in one coat either. Never believe a commercial!! If it sounds too good to be true, then I guess it is.

That is definitely a bright yellow! But, I agree that once things are back on those shelves, it won't seem that bright.

• lola99
    10 years ago

Shoot, I'm sorry to hear that things are going slower than you anticipated.

I love that yellow! Are you putting the shelves and books back up? If you are, then will it matter if you use 1 or 2 coats of paint?

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Kate,
    I'm with the rest of the crew...the yellow will peak out after the books and other assorted items are placed on the shelves....one coat may be sufficient. Great color btw...
    I know it's a pain now not making as much progress as aniticipated, but it will be fabulous once all is done! Hang in there!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried a little Kilz on a couple spots late last night and think I may need to use that as a primer for the whole wall. It's another set back but like Val says, when it's done it will be fabulous! I may want to put the shelves back in more randomly than they were initially done, so it's important to me for the paint to look even. It will be worth the effort and the extra time.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, the Kilz should help in case there are any lasting effects of the water, too...you don't want to spend all the time and money redoing the room only to get mildew a year down the road!

I can't wait to see your room. I wish mine was big enough to have built-in bookshelves, but I do have a good-sized closet full of shelves Mark put up for me. Also three tables he built, a shelf on the wall over one of the tables, a pegboard, and 2 fluorescent lights he put up, too.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

It will be worth all the trouble. Love the yellow and gray combination. You will be able to breathe and think clearly when it is all finished~and be Inspired just sitting in Your Quilt-Cave!

I caution you NOT to replace the books (or any other objects) until the paint has completely hardened and cured. Also follow the required drying time between the coats -- do not rush it -- especially on the book cases & horizontal surfaces. Read the paint and Kilz labels very carefully.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Kilz is a great idea...I've only used it one time...insure you have plenty of air flow as I recall it was quite odiferous!

MRG: Quilt - Cave... great descriptor...I may put a sign up for mine, along with "enter at your own risk", for the DH of course....

V.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Kate I know you are anxious to get your quilting/sewing room remodeled, but while you are waiting on the plumbers you have that much more time to design and redesign your space. So have fun in the planning and it will happen eventually at which point it will look great. Please post pics when you have your room finished. DH promised me I would have my own quilt room in next house we live in, granted that will be a few years from now, but I do find it inspiring to see what you do with your sewing/quilting room.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Sounds like many wonderful hours of quilting await....hope that sustains through the frustrating process of repainting.

Sorry you got sick and glad you're still able to do this kind of remodel! My shoulder gave up painting a few years back, so most painting waits years to get done now.

LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After the knee surgery I had trouble with ladders but that's much better now, so I can do all the painting myself. I know I'll pay the price the next day, but I can do it. Still can't kneel but I can reach the lower parts of the wall with a longer handled brush. I can make this work!
    And I am thankful every day that I can do the things I can do.

I have the room planned out, using a free layout program I found on-line. I'm sure it won't look as neat and pretty in real life as it does on paper, but it will be very usable and efficient, I think. It's the storage I have to get under control. I even have a plan to keep the cats away from the sewing table and thread by giving them something more fun to play with.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea! Good plumbing news! The plumber declared that we have no leaks. the water damage is from the previous problem and we just didn't see it until we pulled the carpet in this room. We have some drywall to repair where he had to cut a section out, but it was good news and no charge. Now, on to the next step!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you have no leaks. Can't wait to see your room once it is finished! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Good news from the plumber! Now it will be done quickly and you will be Queen of the Room!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, that's great news!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see the finished project. It will be wonderful!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Sounds like you're good to go! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Mine is currently buried in clutter.
    LindaB/CA

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

just saw this post, Kate...I'm behind the times! a word to the wise, tho. After 30 years of being in the painting/wallpapering business, my conclusion is that if you really want stain (esp water, crayon, ink) to cover and not bleed back through..regardless of the color you are using for topcoat, don't ever even bother with the Kilz water-based stuff. It will NOT hold over time. The other stinky nasty youhavetothrowawaythetools kind does work just dandy, however. Yes...ventilation is your best friend! ...and have your clean up stuff handy at all times! Another fab product is by Zinsser...it's BIN, a shellac based sealer. Oh, I'm so glad I'm retired! :) Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories...the bright yellow with grey and white sounds wonderful!!! ^5

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Beth! I should have thought to ask you first but I always heard Kilz was the stuff to use. Now I know!
    In this case, I ended up using the Zinsser because that's what they had at the store: lucky for me, right?

Progress has been slow this week for all the reasons previously listed and because of a big work presentation I'll be doing this afternoon. But once that's done, I am free, free, free for the weekend to work on this project! So excited to get back to this room! Already told DH he's in charge of all cooking for the weekend because I'll be painting.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County