Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

QOTD July15th

vicky4x4
12 years ago

Do you let your batting "breath" or "relax" before using it. Or do you use it straight out of the package?

I never remember to take it out early. I have tried the dryer thing but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Vicky

Comments (12)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Mostly, I buy cotton batting by the yard, so it is rolled on a tube, but it is folded in half. I try to allow it to relax over night after I cut it, before I pin it on the frame. It seams to lay better. I have tossed it in the dryer on low, if it was at the end and had alot of creases or wrinkles.

I have limited time for quilting, so I seem to do everything divided in segments of time, so letting the batting relax is the easy part for me.

• calliope
    12 years ago

No.....lol.....I usually just beat that batting into submission.

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I *used* to do that back in my early days. But now it gets put in its place quickly and pinned within an inch of its life as fast I can get 'er done.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Nah - not any more! I used to, and then I got in a rush one day and didn't. Lo and behold - absolutely no difference.

So, if I have to trim the batting, it might sit out overnight, as I double check the measurements in the morning, but that's all the breathing it will get.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

mine doesn't breathe either. It's sink or swim, baby.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Batting relax! breathe!? I must have missed that set of instructions when I first learned to quilt....LOL or I was so focused on the top and backing that I didn't pay attention if doing something to the batting was mentioned.
    Seriously, I really don't know what you are talking about. Why? How? and what is the purpose of doing it?
    Obviously, I don't do it, didn't know you "should" and don't know how. I just do as calliope does and "beat it into submission". You mean there is an easier way???
    thanks for any info,
    Murphy

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

The brand that I use Quilters Dream) does not seem to need that extra step. This batting lays out well and there is no difference that I can see when I do let it breath a bit.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

No one ever told me that step, either! I have used Quilters Dream on the few I've done, so maybe that's why??? Is it supposed to make it fluffier??? Humm....

Robbi

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

No, it doesn't make it fluffier - resting the batting is just to let any wrinkles and fold lines relax.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I get mine by the bolt, and just unroll it.

beverly

• lola99
    12 years ago

I had never heard of letting it breath either.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

No. But I have to admit I have been tempted with some of the batts I'vd used recently. I did use the dryer method with one but didn't see much improvement. I have always used Hobbs rolled but tried a Quilters Dream wool that was folded and was very pleased with it. I may swithch.