Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QOTD July15th

Posted by vicky4x4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 20:43

Do you let your batting "breath" or "relax" before using it. Or do you use it straight out of the package?

I never remember to take it out early. I have tried the dryer thing but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Vicky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QOTD July15th

Mostly, I buy cotton batting by the yard, so it is rolled on a tube, but it is folded in half. I try to allow it to relax over night after I cut it, before I pin it on the frame. It seams to lay better. I have tossed it in the dryer on low, if it was at the end and had alot of creases or wrinkles.

I have limited time for quilting, so I seem to do everything divided in segments of time, so letting the batting relax is the easy part for me.

o

No.....lol.....I usually just beat that batting into submission.

o

I *used* to do that back in my early days. But now it gets put in its place quickly and pinned within an inch of its life as fast I can get 'er done.

o

Nah - not any more! I used to, and then I got in a rush one day and didn't. Lo and behold - absolutely no difference.

So, if I have to trim the batting, it might sit out overnight, as I double check the measurements in the morning, but that's all the breathing it will get.

o

mine doesn't breathe either. It's sink or swim, baby.

o

Batting relax! breathe!? I must have missed that set of instructions when I first learned to quilt....LOL or I was so focused on the top and backing that I didn't pay attention if doing something to the batting was mentioned.
Seriously, I really don't know what you are talking about. Why? How? and what is the purpose of doing it?
Obviously, I don't do it, didn't know you "should" and don't know how. I just do as calliope does and "beat it into submission". You mean there is an easier way???
thanks for any info,
Murphy

o

The brand that I use Quilters Dream) does not seem to need that extra step. This batting lays out well and there is no difference that I can see when I do let it breath a bit.

o

No one ever told me that step, either! I have used Quilters Dream on the few I've done, so maybe that's why??? Is it supposed to make it fluffier??? Humm....

Robbi

o

No, it doesn't make it fluffier - resting the batting is just to let any wrinkles and fold lines relax.

o

I get mine by the bolt, and just unroll it.

beverly

o

I had never heard of letting it breath either.

o

No. But I have to admit I have been tempted with some of the batts I'vd used recently. I did use the dryer method with one but didn't see much improvement. I have always used Hobbs rolled but tried a Quilters Dream wool that was folded and was very pleased with it. I may swithch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here