Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

bargello quilts

vacuumfreak
9 years ago

I've recently fallen in love with Bargello quilts and I was wondering what you all thought about them? Have you ever tried to make one? It seems easy in theory, but then again, so many things do!

Comments (9)

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I never have tried one, but I've sure seen some beauties. I think it would be fun to try. You can choose your favorite colors and get creative with the pattern.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I made one several years ago. The pattern I used was done with the seams matching, but I've seen many where the seams are offset, which I think would be a lot easier. :)

Give it a try!

Donna

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, all my seems are offset anyway, whether I intend for them to be or not :o)

Thanks... I will try it at some point...

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Here's the one I made. It was part of an art project at church depicting the Prayer of St. Francis. The lines from the prayer were put in a box and each artist (and me LOL) drew one, then created something to represent that line. Mine was the line "Grant that I may not so much seek...To be loved as to love." The heart is the earth and the yellow and gold are God's love surrounding it.

The pattern started out with strip sets (I think most do), but I had to adjust them to get the colors where I wanted them.

Donna

• bozogardener
    9 years ago

I did one to try a method that I saw on Simply Quilts (the old show on HGTV). The quilt isn't that special (I don't like the colors I used) but it was fun trying a different method.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

OK ladies. All I can say is Wowww! Guess that's another class,I need to look for.
    LindaB/CA

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

I love bargello quilts. I've made several, and always make them with the seams offset - that is so much easier than trying to match a zillion seams. Here's a queen-sized one I made a number of years ago.

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

Lovely quilts! I was interested in making one several years ago and I couldn't find enough fabrics and we started planning our retirement.

I have a book and it uses strip sets and you sew, cut, and layout your design and sew back together.

'Course that's the really easy version! Some I have seen on the Net have been very intricate.

Looking forward to seeing yours Bobby!!
    Rosa

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They all look lovely... I've seen the elaborate ones too, but if I'm brave enough to make online, it will be simple.... maybe two staggered horizontal waves and that will be it!

Thanks for sharing!