Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buteau3rd

disappearing hourglass

buteau3rd
9 years ago

Wondering if anyone has tried this neat "dis" hourglass. It looks like fun and easy, but that is not always true with all the cutting and rearranging. I found it on missouri quilting co.videos, and she is easier to listen to than EB.

Comments (9)

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

Do you have a link?

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Hi there Ladies!!! Nice to 'see' you both! :~)

Below is a link to a completed quilt and the tutorial on Missouri Quilts. I have squares from 1/2 a layer cake and I am thinking of using them using this method. It is pretty. I think the success of all these slice and rearrange blocks is very accurate cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alamosaquilter: Disapperaing Hour Glass

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Yes! I've been wanting to make one ever since I saw the video a couple of weeks ago, but was waiting to see a quilt and to hear if anyone had played around with sizes for the 4 HST. Will now probably wait until I get back home.

SharonG/FL-IN-IL

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I just happened to check that site out day before yesterday for something new and watched that, thinking "maybe I'll try that". But I have a project going right now and can't do anything until I finish it. (That's just me.)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Marsha, I did a search on MSQ but without success, so Thanks a heap for posting.
    It's a nice looking block, and I can see making a few in the future, but for me, I couldn't do a whole quilt in these. I'd have blocks turned every which way! Lol
    I have used the method of sewing all four sides and then cutting for the pinwheel block. I get the bias edge issue, but I found spraying with a lite coating of starch worked. I imagine that would be needed for this block as well.
    Good luck Buteau3rd and nice to hear from you!
    V.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Hi Marge, how have you been? It is on my list, too. Here is a link to Missouri Star's video. They just sew around the outside of a 10 in square to make the HSTs.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Star Disappearing Hourglass

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really love the idea of what looks like the squares are arranged in rows as usual,not from corner to corner, because the sashing is part of the square, ( Lots of bias seams!)
    Thanks to all.....It's nice to be back. Maybe I'll try a pillow first to see if it is too bothersom for a queen size.
    I

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The missouri quilting link you all sent isn't the same as the one my granddaughter sent so I will ask her tomorrow to resend the picture. It looks like it is on point, but ...........sorry! I will send the picture of the one she wants.

• buteau3rd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wrong square! She actually wants the lattice, which is on pointe with lots of bias piecing.
    I think this other choice is easier.....and I really do like it. I think I will see if missouri quilts has a tutorial for it.
    Thank you all for responding. I will try the other anyway...looks interesting!