Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - July 2013

toolgranny
10 years ago

Okay, I'm thinking red, white and blue for July. I'm also thinking that would make a great block to turn into a Quilts of Valor donation in honor of our veterans. What do you think?

Let's make our block plan to be a donation, to a cause or to a winner. Either way, it can make a scrappy quilt for your favorite veteran or you can contribute to a cause and the winner can just donate the blocks to their local organization. Whatever you would like to do with them, I am hoping a few of you donate a block to the cause even if you would rather keep your name out of the drawing and not be bothered.

It's our Disappearing 9 Patch:

Make a 9 patch out of 5" squares of red, white and blue. It can be in an organized fashion like the sample or just random. Cut your 9 patch apart horizontally and vertically and sew the quarters back together to form a different look.

Follow the rest of the lotto rules as previously posted:

1. with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
2. if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)
3. all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing
4. you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Blocks are mailed to Valarie who will arrange the drawing at the end of the month. If you need her address, find her littlehelen name on a previous lotto and send her (or me) a msg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilts of Valor

Comments (32)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Love your idea Toolgranny! ...I'm gonna pull my fabrics and get sewing!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

What a great idea!

SharonG/FL

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Love, Love, Love!!! Is there a website for instructions?? like quilter's cache? or am I missing the location?

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Beth, this block won't be found on QC, but the instructions are easy peasy.

1. Sew 5" squares together to make a 9-patch (1/4" seam allowance)
    2. Cut in half vertically (measure the center square) and without moving anything, cut in half horizontally the same way.
    3. Rotate the upper right square and the lower left square to get a pleasing design.
    4. Sew the 4-patch back together.

The center square of the 9-patch is what gets cut up into four little squares. The four outer squares don't get cut at all. So this is what impacts your final design.

This is a great block for beginners! You just need to know how to sew a 9-patch and a 4-patch! After your last Lotto blocks, this will be easy for you!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

ok...thanks, Jennifer. Just one quick question, and I know this is basic, but I never can remember the rule. Do I CUT the block at a 5" square and use a 1/4" seam, or cut it at 5.25?? (I'm going to write and post this answer in my sewing box!). This one looks like lots of fun...and I always love the patriotic theme...

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this one starts with 5" cut squares. The finished block is about 13-1/2". This design can easily be trimmed by the winner to be exact since it doesn't hurt the design. So, it's easy to work with.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Ready to mail.
    There is something wrong with my camera.
    Theresa

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

oh cool, Theresa! ....even with something wrong with your camera! (probably just need to change batteries!!). I LOVE the way these blocks look... cannot wait to give it a try!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Extremely easy Beth!
    I had to go to a funeral this morning but I was ready about an hour early and so this is what I did with my time, found the fabrics, cut and sewed.
    Good use of time.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Buster says...Happy July 4th!!!...Love that RWB, these blocks will make a fun quilt ...

• polardream
    10 years ago

I finished 3 so will get them in the mail this afternoon.
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Theresa, Glad you said it was your camera! I wouldn't have known the difference!!! LOLOLOL

I prepared the squares yesterday and hope to get them sewn, sliced and sewn back together today!

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I don't really use many reds and blues, but I found some blender batik scraps and made one block. It will go into the mail tomorrow.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

These were FUN!! and, I love the old Red, White, and Blue, too...... by the way...I'm in agreement with whatever you all want to do with the blocks. Once they leave my hands, as far as I'm concerned, it's no longer up to me and I'm happy with just being able to participate! (they'd be awfully hard to give away, tho!!! LOL)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sue, Your blocks arrived today...the blocks are so much prettier in person!
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Here's the July blocks received thus far...still 10 days left in July...lots of time to make and mail blocks!
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

It's amazing that you can get so many different looks from the same block! On some, I see the "8"...blue in the bottom-most block. On others I see floating squares...like the antique-y one with the flag fabric on the far left. The different illusions are fun!

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

oh gosh! totally forgot to mail....they've been done for a week or two - will post tomorrow. Three will be in the package.

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My three are on the way to you as well, Valarie.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

My three were sent out this morning, Valarie.

I think my fav layout is for the 9-patch to have red in the 1, 5, and 9 spots with blue in the 3 and 7 spot and white in the 2, 4, 6 and 8 spots and then arrange in the traditional way. (I am quickly running out of enough red!)

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Valarie, Confirmation shows the blocks I sent arrived Saturday. Did you receive them?

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Drum roll please...anyone on line who can pick the lucky number...,select a number between 1 and 10 and post....
    V.
    ps. there are more than 10 blocks, but a some folks requested not to be included in the drawing

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

#7 please

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

thanks Jen...lucky #7 is Sharon G - Congratulations to Sharon....your RWB blocks will make a fabo patriotic quilt!!!
    Enjoy and Thanks to everyone for participating in the July Lotto!!!
    I will have those blocks in the mail this week.
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Wowzers!!! Ya'll know I've been on a QOV kick lately!! Oh my, speechless here.....looks like there will be at least 19 blocks....I cannot wait to lay them out and start playing!! Thank you to all who participated!

(Now, I really do need to get off the computer and start my day....glad I stayed on to get this info though)

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Congratulations Sharon! You will make a fabulous quilt, I know.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    10 years ago

The July blocks couldn't have found a better home.
    Congratulations, Sharon. I know you will make a fantastic QOV for one of our servicemen/women. Lois

• polardream
    10 years ago

Congrats, Sharon!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hmmmmm, I've been thinking (ok, ok, ok.....stop laughing!), I have a few red/white/blue orphan blocks here and I'm thinking I should probably be able to get 2 quilts from these. Hmmmmmm........

Hee-hee.......can't wait to get them all laid out and start planning.

I love this forum and it's members!!!!!

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Sharon, congratulations! I didn't get any blocks sent in, but I just pulled some red, white and blue fabrics from my stash. When you figure out is you need anymore more blocks to finish two quilts, let me know and I'll make some and send to you.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bev. I'll let you know. I just remembered a few other 'orphans' that fit this criteria... LOL

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Valarie, Letting you know the blocks arrived today.....

.....what a great array of fabric and blocks! Will post a picture when I'm able to.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living