Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

QOTD - mostly for frame quilters

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

I have a large quilt (90" x 108") loaded on my frame with the longest edge pinned to the leaders. It's a big quilt. I've chosen a pantograph that looks, to me, like chain mail. It has overlapping curves. I use Warm & Natural batting.

My concern is that it will make the quilt too dense if I quilt a complete all over pattern. If I take out one of the 'runs' of curves, then it loses the appeal of linked chains, and just looks like curves. The size of my pantograph is about 6" because that's all my machine can accommodate for a large quilt.

So here's my specific question, and am open to general discussion: Have you ever done an edge-to-edge pantograph, and then left an open 'row' unquilted before placing the next run of quilting? Creating 'stripes' of quilting from the top of the quilt to the bottom...

Would it look like a design element, or simply goofy and undone?

Comments (10)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Jen, I googled 'chain mail' pantos to get an idea of what it looked like and found nothing.
    I was given advice, by a shop, to study the Panto or groovey board to 'learn' the panto and do the parts freehand. My experience is different than yours - I was so unhappy with my only attempt using a Panto that I do just that - I study and practice a design, or partial design (sharpie on newspaper) until I am happy and feel confident to be able to freehand it - fast - from the front of the machine. I mostly use Warm & Natural or White, and a really close or overlapping I also eliminate parts of the stencil or Panto to achieve the density and look you want from the design, in this case a more open quilting Panto within Bottom line - I think eliminating 1 row may look like a goof. But - I suck at Pantos and I am good at freehand. :) I like the control and I can get in the zone.......

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of the pantograph...

Unless I do meandering, I need to follow a pantograph. I'm not proficient at free handing a uniform pattern. Unfortunately, the pantograph can't be stretched any bigger due to machine throat size.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jen,I don't have any panto experience, but what if you spread the two lines out so they were just touching instead of overlapping? That might keep it from being too dense.

Donna

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I don't think that is all that dense.

I wouldn't leave a row out but you could easily just do single rows and space each one 1/2" below the upper one staggering the loop.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Is each row of curves 6 inches? If not you can enlarge the pattern and still have the look and less dense quilting. I agree it would lose it's appeal if you left out rows.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev, this picture of the double lines is 6". Unfortunately, at this point I don't have time to have Mike enlarge and re-print the pattern for me...I really need to quilt it this weekend.

There are registration marks (along the top edge) that you can just barely see where the next line will line up...I could just do every other row, but then they wouldn't overlap. That would work, just not give me the look I'm going for.

Still dwelling...must decide by tonight

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Here is a free Raindrops Panto I like alot. Sorta like the one you have, but less dense and not in straight lines.
    I don't think the one you have looks all that dense either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panto

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Marsha! I like that one and have saved it.

Well, there are two votes for "this one isn't that dense" so maybe I'll just suck it up and go with the original plan. What happens happens...

I'll know better for next time I use this panto.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Jennifer, I've had limited experience with pantographs but I think you would be sorry if you skipped every other row. It's designed to work the way it's made. I also agree with Linda. I don't think it's that dense.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I'm not a frame quilter and have no experience with pantos yet, but I like the pattern and think it would look odd with a row missing. I don't think it would be too dense, especially on a big quilt with sufficient weight to keep it drapey.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner