Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ND Flood Update

Posted by dlhealdquilter (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 19:12

Minot is beginning to recover, but we are a long way from pre-flood conditions. The river is going down slowly, but this was expected.

News conference tonight was giving some numbers. 4,100 homes have been affected by the water. 132 are slightly damaged with 0.5 to 2 feet of water; 802 are moderately damaged with 2 to 6 feet of water; 2,376 are extremely damaged with 6 to 10 feet of water; and 805 are a complete loss with 10 feet of water or more! WOW!

Tide Loads of Hope arrived today, numerous companies such as ServicePro have arrived in town, FEMA housing could be arriving soon, and major roads that have been flooded are opening.

We still have to boil our water and conserve water. Think this could continue for a bit yet.

Some folks have been allowed back to their homes between 8 am and 8 pm and have begun removing household goods that were left behind, sheet rock, insulation, etc. The street curbs are piled high with debris.

As for our quilting community; our guild meeting has been cancelled for July, the quilt display at the state fair has been cancelled, and too many of our guild members have losses. We are a strong community, however, and will come back bigger and better!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ND Flood Update

Is there anything us quilters can do to help?

o

Thanks for the update. I second toolgranny's question, what can we do to help?

o

Thanks for the update. I am so very sorry for everyone's loss. We are more than willing to help with anything we can. Please don't hesitate to ask.

beverly

o

Thank you for the update. the news people, nationally and locally, seem to have forgotten about this tragedy in our nation and I haven't seen any updates.
Again, what can we do to help?
Murphy

o

I, too, thank you for the update.

I was thinking about you last night and figured it's going to be a long time until the massive clean-up is over. I would think the first order of business is to get the houses cleaned up for occupancy. However, is there something we can do now to help other quilters to while away the down time? Maybe a kit for an easy (so it isn't stressful) quilt block that can be done by hand? We just want to do what we can to help.....

SharonG/FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here