Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
today's accomplishments

Posted by dan_the_mailman (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 19:05

This afternoon was a busy one, enjoying the a/c while sewing and sewing and sewing some more. Not only did I finish 3 crazy-quilted blocks for the current seeds-n-stitches swap, I combined weaving and sewing into one new-to-me method for sewing. This is the 1st CQ block I made...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: today's accomplishments

here's the 2nd CQ block...

o
3rd one

here's the 3rd CQ block...

o
Bump

His Majesty got tired of watching...

o
Stella

as did Her Royal Highness...

o
pinned

I persevered and made my woven block out of batiks, then pinned it all in place (64 pins!). The block is 16" square.

o
and sewn...

Here's my experiment, all sewn up and hanging on my display wall. There are project directions and samples hanging behind it.
I like the rumples and sewing quirks in it. As my grandmother used to tell me, "Those aren't mistakes, that's it's personality shining through."

Good night!
Dan

o

Dan,you wore them out! I like your crazy blocks, and the weaving looks great!

Donna

o

Looks like you took your creativity pill this morning, Dan! I think that weaving technique might be good for denim throws?

Teresa

o

Teresa, I think denim anything would work with this technique. Another thing I thought of while weaving it this morning was that, instead of using batiks, a folded strip of fabric would work too. I cut my batik strips in half, giving me about 18-20 inches of fabric to work with. So, if one were to cut out 40-inch strips and fold them in half before doing the weaving, you'd still be making the top and bottom at the same time, and would just need to do the quilting to make it all come together. I was planning on going to the beach tomorrow, but now I'm thinking about staying home and doing some more experimentation with this technique. If anyone else wants to give it a try, let me know how it goes, will you?

Here's to more creativity pills! Lol!
Dan

o

WOW! You make me feel so lazy.
You really got a lot done.
I like your experiments with the weaving technique.
Like your furry helpers too.

~Geraldine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here