Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patriotic twist top

Posted by new2quilting (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:18

This one was a lot of work! The pattern is Patriotic Twist by Simply Twisted. It is about 36" x 45".

The original pattern showed it with all the same fabrics for red, white, and blue, but mine is scrappy and I think makes it more interesting (plus it's what I had already pre-cut!) You can either see the wavy stripes or look closer and see the twisters. I used all stash except the border fabric, mostly nickels from swaps for reds and neutrals a few years back. Again the borders came out wonky from all the bias, I guess I'd need to do straight of grain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patriotic twist top

That's really neat! I like it!

o

Now there's a twist on twister...nice job on the fabric selection..looks good!

o

Nice way to do the twister pattern.
Great job.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

A twister that has a very interestig twist. Not one of my favorite patterns but this is exceptional. Good job. TFS

o

That is so neat! and timely
Theresa

o

What a delightful quilt I agree that the scrappy makes it much more interesting. Good job.

o

How cool is that?!

I saw the twisters in the stars, but didn't see them in the stripes until you pointed them out! That means a really good job using the same values!!

Is this your pattern or in a book somewhere??

o

It's Patriotic Twist by Simply Twisted designs.

Thanks for all your comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Twisted pattern

o

Gorgeous!!! I haven't tried the twister yet!!
Rosa

o

Good idea for Retreat quilt / gift to the lodge!

o

What a fun quilt! Great use of colors. Very, very nice job.

o

Very cool. I love the variety of fabrics.

o

Making it scrappy gave it a lot of motion, IMHO! I'm gonna have to download that pattern and get busy, it's just too cool not to do! Thanks for sharing!
Dan

o

This is a great pattern and the Twisters are fun to work with, but I can't get over the wasted fabric they create. Maybe if I liked dealing with small scraps I would be happier with it.

This flag is wonderful. I like the idea of doing something like this for the retreat lodge!

Kate

o

Kate, No waste when using the leftover fabric in the border. Doesn't have to be pinwheels....

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: Little twisters in the border

o

Oh that's cute! Thanks, Sharon!

Kate

o

Lovely. I think using different reds and neutrals adds movement to the pattern. I just got the twister tool and planning to try it out. It makes for such interesting patterns.
I have some of the reds you've used. Was it a nickel swap on this forum? Most of the variety in my stash is from nickel and FQ swaps on the forum.
Vasu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here