Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - July 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

You get to be even more creative than normal this month! Gather your blue and yellow scraps and prints, then put them together in any star pattern you would like to use. Use the same star pattern for all three or mix it up. It's up to you; have fun with it!

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

July2012

For July, you can use any star block, as simple or as complicated as you like. The theme is blue and yellow, but some white mixed in is OK as long as the overall impression is "Blue and Yellow". No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Comments (54)

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Kate - please leave your name in the drawing! Your method is so completely fair with 2 others involved in the choice, that I can't imagine anyone having an issue with you winning a lotto.

No one questioned when I won the May lotto, even though I chose the winning number.

I didn't know the names on the list, and certainly didn't know the random numbers assigned to that list.

You participate, you HOST (which is a lot of work), and you should be able to compete with everyone else.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Absolutely Kate should include her name in the drawings if she wants to win! Hosting the Lotto and keeping it running is very much appreciated, and she should play --- the method of drawing the winner is so fair and unbiased---and your chances are really increased by submitting more blocks.
    So---include your name Kate - that's an order!!!!! Please. :~)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I would have felt really guilty if I had participated and won in the first 6 months but I guess it's been long enough.

What pretty blocks have already been posted! Beth, your blocks remind me of your garden - so fresh and cheerful. Val, I LOVE the starflower pattern; and it gives almost endless color combinations. We might have to add this one to next year's lotto. Where did you find the pattern? Is it the Ellison Lane one? Here's a picture from their website:

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just realized I probably shouldn't have posted that multicolor StarFlower picture! I don't mean to confuse anyone about this block. It is NOT a multicolor month!

Just to be sure we've all got it, here are the specs for July:
    blue and yellow fabrics, with some white in the prints being OK if possible, avoid extremes of color like dark navy and dark gold - we want these blocks to "play well with others"
    star pattern any star block will do but it must look like a star (in quilting, that gives you LOTS of options)

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

How funny! This is the same as I requested for my birthday block in-what? 2006? I'll post the other one too, which was a baby quilt.

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Here's the baby quilt from that same birthday block swap.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting those pictures! It shows how pretty a blue/yellow star quilt can be. I really like the sashing you used in the baby quilt!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Kate, I agree with everyone else...you definitely need to put your name in the drawing. You are the hostess...doing the mostess (sorry, couldn't resist) I've helped one time in the drawing and there's no way anyone could think you planted your name. Please participate!!
    The starflower pattern came from the Quilter's Cache. I wanted to try something new for me...but then they all seem new to me!
    Love yellow and blue together...it's a great combo as evidence by the lovely quilts posted by bozogardener!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

correction on my pics...On the left is Star puzzle, on the right is Star flower,both from Quilters Cache.
    V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love the choices and all in my favorite colors! Hope I can get my space up and running fast!

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I hope to get a block or two made for this month's lotto.

Bozogardener, I love your quilts....I think I made a block for you!

Mary

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

I think you did, Mary!

• jerrysgirl
    11 years ago

When do the blocks have to be mailed to participate in the July block swap?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

Send me an email and I'll send you my address. Always glad to have new participants!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I love blue and yellow together. The quilts are beautiful and this months blocks are gonna rock!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Sign me up for 3 Kate! They (and the August blocks) will go in the mail Friday.

Mary

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

I've finished 1 block for July and 1 for August. Will be posting them tomorrow - 16th July. I have a problem with my computer & can't load up photos at the moment.

Kristene

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Here is my block for July

Kristene

• lola99
    11 years ago

Here are my blocks. I mailed them a few days ago.

Lola

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are all beautiful! This is going to be another great quilt!

There's still time for those of you who haven't joined in this month.

Kate

• vicky4x4
    11 years ago

My birthday block quilt from ???? Do any of you remember making these blocks?
    I wished I had time to make these this month :-( I'm missing out on all the fun.
    Vicky

• calliope
    11 years ago

I've made one yellow/blue quilt already, but my daughter chose it as a birthday gift, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind having another, so I just shot off three blocks. They should reach you by month's end since I drove to the post office and got them in before the mail went out this afternoon. It would make a lovely quilt.

• polardream
    11 years ago

I wish I had time to participate but this month just keeps getting more and more hectic. Whoever wins this lotto is one lucky quilter! Love the color combo.
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone gets credit for blocks mailed, even if I don't receive them by the 1st. There's still time and if you mail them in the last couple days of the month, just let me know.

Once again, I thank you ALL for your participation and interest. I'm enjoying the lotto so much and love to see what you all create.

The next couple months will be fall colors and scrappy, so be saving all your bits of fabric! I think you'll really like both patterns.

Kate

• calliope
    11 years ago

Well, that is an understatement. I already did the Dutchman's Puzzle and Roberta's Jewel blocks and both were so fun and so neat, the blocks ended up in quilts. Now, I have to do them over for the lotto. The up side is I have the techniques down pat by now. LOL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calliope! That HAS to be the best advertisement for the lotto EVER: I liked them so much I kept them!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Whew...just in the nick of time! My sister was here for a few days, so we went to work making the lotto blocks! It's more fun to have a sewing buddy, I think!! I'll mail tomorrow, Kate. 3 blocks.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Kate,
    I changed my mind and found time to get 3 blocks finished! I will mail them in the morning - hopefully they will arrive quickly. WOOHOO. I just love yellow and blue together.

Sue

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Wow, Sue..I LOVE those! Kate...just back from the post office and mailed three. They said you should have them by tomorrow.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Wow, Sue..I LOVE those! Kate...just back from the post office and mailed three. They said you should have them by tomorrow.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received a couple more squishies today! When I get home from work tomorrow and I'll check the mailbox then get ready for the drawing. If anyone else is on-line tomorrow evening around 7pm eastern time, maybe we can do it then, before the evening Olympic coverage starts!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone on line to help with the drawing?

Our lovely blue and yellow blocks are ready to find their new home. We have 26 blocks! With a little sashing, that will make a great quilt.

Here are the participants:
    3 Polardream
    3 Beth7happy
    3 K8Orlando
    4 Nannykins (thanks for the extra one, Theresa!)
    2 SunnyCentralFlorida
    2 LittleHelen
    3 Calliope
    2 Lola99
    3 Mary_C
    1 TinyTeena

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Going to eat dinner... I'll be back a little later!

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'm back online now, Kate. I had flapjacks and sausage, per hubby's request. You? ;-)

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I'm here too, if you need two.

Stroganoff over basil noodles with a salad.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had a spicy Thai soup! Yum!

OK, emailing the list to Calliope.

• calliope
    11 years ago

If I did it right, the list is back to you. I think I got outcooked by both of you. However, I did cook Tubby the dog his own little pancake.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that was fast! I've got the list back, so if Mary_C will pick a number from 1 to 19 (inclusive) we'll have a winner!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I hope you kept your name in the drawing, Kate!

Via the random number generator - it's lucky number 7!!

Congratulations to whomever!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sunnycentralflorida!

Congrats, Gwen!!!

• calliope
    11 years ago

Woot..........woot.........congrats on a beautiful haul!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Woo..woot, indeed!! Congrats Gwen!

Such fun to win a lotto!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

oooo nice win, Gwen!! Congrats!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Go Gwen (my retreat game buddy)!!!!! Great looking blocks.....pics of all of them when you get them please.

SharonG/FL-IN

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

sunny central florida..congrats...the colors seem perfect for florida...bright sun yellow and blue skies
    have fun!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

This is going to be perfect for a Florida quilt - Congrats Gwen!

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

THX so much! My how pretty...all of the blocks posted are beautiful! Y'all out did yourselves I'll say! What yummy colors! Also, THX for all the "Congrats".

Kate, thanks for the email...I'm glad I checked it "one more time" before going to bed.

Gwen

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Congrats to the lucky winner. Beautiful blocks in great colors!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Blue and yellow is a favourite combo. Your blocks will make a beauty of a quilt. Congratulations!
    Theresa

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Met Kate tonight at our Guild meeting...I was a little anxious!

Dear Friends, wow, the blocks are spectacular in person! I hope I can do them justice.

Thanks for all your talented hard work...Gwen

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA