Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

What is your basic keep on hand fabric?

The main fabric I try to make sure I always have is Kona Cotton White. And, I don't like buying it anywhere except Hancock's of Paducah. If I don't have it, I feel like I'm out of bread and milk!

I really like WOW but anymore, I can't tell one side from the other so plan to only use solid for awhile if starting something new, unless it's a scrappy.

What's your favorite?

SharonG/FL

Comments (16)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I keep white on white. If I have a 50% off Joann's coupon I buy a whole bolt at a time.

Jackie

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I keep white but also keep black. I keep solid black plus black batik. They are my mainstays. I also have a tub with off-whites.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have recently refolded all of my fabrics. I have determined that I am sorely lacking whites, off whites, blacks and greys. I have tons of greens and blues, and the pinks/purples aren't too bad either.

So to answer the question, I guess I don't really have any one thing that I must have on hand. I guess that comes from buying for the project for so many years. I don't just work from the stash...

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

I like to keep neutral TOTs I use them a lot for backgrounds. Have everything from WOW to dark tans

Maryv

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I try to keep lots of WOW and beige/cream TOT on hand. And, I make sure I buy more whenever I go to Lancaster. Scrappy is my middle name, and I even like the backgrounds to be scrappy!

Teresa

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I have a need to keep black on hand as well as WOW or creams. My stash is such a jumble that it is difficult to pick any one color that dominates but I like lots of greens available.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I keep Kona black and white and blenders is a variety of colors. I love to use blenders instead of solids with other fabrics because it adds some movement, but still reads neutral. I gotta have my Kona white and black as my basic solids.

beverly

• calliope
    10 years ago

Unbleached muslin or osnaberg in a heavier weight and they sure as hey don't make that like they used to.

• day2day
    10 years ago

I have been making a lot of baby quilts this year. I have a lot of go-with-anything baby fabrics and keep watching for more.
    One I have is an allover print of small, brightly -colored circles. Another is a multicolored small stripe and a third is a print of baby objects(rattles, teddies etc.). I have lots of yardage of these fabrics. Because they are allover prints in bright colors I use them as backgrounds for baby quilts. I always keep an eye out for more of these types of fabrics.

I also have lots of whites and blacks. I keep mottled fabrics in various colors on hand to use as blenders.

~Geraldine

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I like to keep white and off white fabric on hand for background. I usually have to buy more if I am making a large quilt because I never seem to have quite enough.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Kona black, Kona snow, and lots of WOW. For the past few years I've been stuck on WOW backgrounds and almost never use beige. I don't dislike beige but everything looks better with white or the slightly, slightly off-white of the Kona snow.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Kona solids is so modern - you are progressive Sharon!

I start to panic when I run low on Kona very black.
    I also like to keep Kona white on hand - I was using some Kona from Joann's that I label 'Fake Kona', but I doubt that I will buy it anymore. I would like never to buy fabric there anymore - that's my goal!
    I have decided I really like Andover dimples - wish I could buy every color. I bought a bolt of the white.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I need a better WOW or some Kona Snow; I have a paisley WOW which I love the print, but not crazy about the quality...from Joann's. Nice blacks I have and recently picked up a Moda gray as my new neutral, I find colors seem to pop off of soft gray. I'm also a fan of a neutral batik that I picked up recently.
    V.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Kona Snow is the only thing I have bought as a whole bolt, so I guess that's my only must have.

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

I seem to use a lot of solid black for piping on quilts, and TOT neutrals for backgrounds. I like the TOT better than solids... gives it a little more softness.

• karpet
    10 years ago

I try to buy large yardages (5+) when I see them at thrift stores to have for backings. This means that my backings can be kind of interesting! I came across two pieces last week, but did not buy them because they did not appeal to me for quilt tops, and after I got home, I kicked myself because they would have worked for backings. I have to keep reminding myself that 5+ yds is not easy to come by, so if it is not awful - buy it for a backing.
    Karlene