Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickie1_gw

Question?

chickie1
9 years ago

I am getting ready to appliqu� a sea life baby quilt. On a recent shop hop, an owner of a shop said she used a blanket stitch for all her appliqu�. Is this what you do or do you have a favorite go to stitch for machine stitching appliqu�?
Darlene

Comments (7)

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I also use a blanket stitch for Machine applique. Test on a scrap to get the stitch just right. The straight stitches should be right next to the applique, but stitched on the background and the 'bite' of the blanket stitch is into the applique. Your thread choice can be decorative and heavier or thinner and disappear.
    I use fusible on the edges to prevent fraying.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

When I want the applique stitch to disappear from view while doing its job of holding the applique on the background, I use a very small zig-zag stitch.

Here is an example in these circles, all different sizes with different colors of zig-zag stitching around each circle:

This post was edited by teresa_nc7 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:01

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

For a baby quilt that will get lots of washing, I think a blanket stitch is perfect: it's sturdy and attractive. I like seeing it done with heavier thread so the stitching really shows up.

But, I don't do machine applique so my opinion really only has to do with how the stitches look!

Kate

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

I used to do a lot of machine applique and used the sm. blanket stitch as my favorite. I have also used a satin stitch and blind hem stitch. I think the blanket stitch offers more options with the changing of width and length of stitch used.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I also use the blanket stitch, and Magothyrivergal (Marsha) described the technique perfectly. My machine gives me the option of a double straight stitch and a single "bite" stitch, which is my preferred stitch.

I would also caution against using fabric that has a loose weave. Even though I used fusible, the fabric in a baby quilt that I made (which got a lot of washing) pulled out of the blanket stitch in a couple of places. In my opinion, batiks or fabrics with a high thread count are the best choice for applique.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

I've really fallen in love with appliqueing (especially after discovering heat and bond lite! I guess steam a seam isn't being made for now because of quality issues and I never got to try that)... and I love the blanket stitch! I use the default stitch length and width on both of my machines that have the feature (my Bernina doesn't do a very good blanket stitch... it sometimes doesn't form completely/properly, but the Brother's is perfect every time)... I much prefer it to zig zag or satin stitch... I think it looks better and is easier to get consistent results with than a zig zag or satin... I have done straight stitching as well for raw edge applique and I really like that too!

• chickie1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advise. I'm using batiks with fusible to hold the sea creatures in place while I stitch them in place. I've used the satin stitch before and sometimes have some puckering. I plan to try a small blanket stitch this time. I'll post a picture when I get it done. Thanks Ladies
    Darlene