Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

My Grandma's Garden-themed Queen-size Quilt Top

quiltingfox
11 years ago

With my favorite S-I-L's help this weekend I was able to complete the border on my Grandma's queen-size quilt top and pin all 3 layers of the quilt together. So now I am ready to start hand-quilting it. About 1/2 the blocks in the quilt were from Seeds-N-Stitches swaps in 2011 and are garden-themed. So thank you to all my S-N-S friends who helped make blocks for Grandma's quilt. The most beautiful blocks though is the center block and it was made by quiltpartner - when I showed my Grandma the blocks for the quilt earlier this year the one Cindy made was her favorite, so that's why it is the center block - thank you Cindy!!! :-) This quilt measures about 99" x 99".

Best to you,

Sandra

Comments (24)

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of the white blocks throughout the quilt. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sandra, that's so pretty! I know your grandma will love it!

Donna

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Very pretty and I really love the quilting in the white squares. I'm always impressed by hand quilting.

• calliope
    11 years ago

If you just sandwiched it, then it must be embroidery and not quilting? If so, how will you quilt on those squares? BTW, it's a lovely design.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Lovely!! Well done with the layout and colors.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. The heart design on the white blocks is embroidery. I have not decided yet how I will be hand-quilting as each block is different. Hope to put it on my hoop tomorrow and begin hand quilting it. I know it will have a lot of structural quilt stitching when sandwiching the layers together. Right now am just excited that the quilt top is completed.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Congratulations on finishing putting your top together. That is the hard part. Now on to the fun part of hand quilting. Grandma will be so pleased with your efforts. Good work. TFS

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Very lovely, Sandra.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

You did a great job putting it together. How many of the blocks came from the exchanges? I'm assuming you made the green/yellow and green/blocks yourself, since you have multiples of those.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

It's charming. Can't wait to see it finished.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Very pretty quilt. Good use of the blocks and garden theme. She will love it!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all bunches. :-) 8 of the blocks were from S-N-S swaps. The 9-patch blocks in the corners pink(burgundy)/green and yellow/green I made as well as the 4 12-inch white blocks (with applique) in the center of the quilt and the baby's bud in the bottom left-hand corner. And I made all the pink strips and small white blocks with pink embroidery on them, granted the 4 small WOW corner blocks for the quilt were not embroidered. Cindy made 4 of the center group of 12-inch blocks. Then the outer rows' center 12-inch blocks on the edges of the quilt were made by Linda and Dan. I do have 1 block left from the swaps that I did not use as it did not fit well into the color-scheme of the quilt, have no idea what I am using that block for as of yet.

Nanajayne what does TFS stand for?

I hope to have this quilt finished to give to my Grandma at Christmas. Once I get the layers hand-quilted, I want to do a Leah Day binding on the quilt - will probably get my S-I-L to help with that as she has used that method before and this will be my first time to use it. So I am excited about that. :-)

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

You've put the blocks together beautifully, Sandra and it's a quilt your Grandma will treasure.

SharonG/FL-IN

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I sure hope she loves it Sharon! I am so excited, have been hand-quilting it for 2 hours so far today. I am just doing structural stitches right now. Trying to decide if I want to do structural stitching on the whole quilt and then if I have time before Christmas go back and do decorative stitching, or whether just to do decorative stitching as I go as I go right now. Decisions, decisions. :-) I haven't hand-quilted a queen-size quilt in several years so am excited about doing this one and I am getting to use my gold-plated quilting needles that I got at Joann's last summer in Dallas. Well back to work on Grandma's quilt. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

Sandra,

Beautiful quilt!
    You have done an amazing job designing this! Sometimes it can be a real challenge using blocks from an exchange. I know your Grandmother will love it so! I'm humbled she liked the center block - that one was so much fun to make - an applique of love to be sure:)

You have inspired me to get out my Amish Trip Around the World that I started to hand quilt (not going to tell how long ago ;) Maybe if you keep after me & hold me accountable??
    ~Cindy

• day2day
    11 years ago

Lovely!
    Great quilting in the white blocks.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Cindy! I am so glad you like the quilt! I phoned my Grandma earlier this week and told her I had started hand-quilting it and she was glad to hear that. So hoping I can have it finished by Christmas. I am going to do all the structural seams first and then if I have time before Christmas I will go back and add decorative stitching. I am glad I inspired you Cindy, that warms my heart, I will try to remember and remind you about your Amish quilt in future emails. :-)

Thank you Geraldine. What does TFS stand for?

This quilt block is the beautiful hand-appliqued block that Cindy made and is in the center of my Grandma's quilt. Thank you Cindy for the wonderful quilt blocks you made for her quilt! :-)

Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you can see in the block above my pink strips around it don't totally match up, I was in a hurry and did not make templates for them, but thankfully when you stand back from the quilt to look at it luckily it is not super noticeable. Grandma's quilt won't be perfect, but it is made with love! I like everything to be exact though, so for future quilts I am ordering custom made acrylic rotary rulers so that all my strips for 12" finished blocks will be accurately measured. So am ordering from a lady on the Quilting Haven (4.5" x 12.5") and (6.5" x 12.5") sized gridded rulers that way I can use them for strips in between blocks and for cutting borders for quilts. I had her make me an 18" x 22" fabric quarter rotary ruler several months back and am very happy with her work.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

That's a nice quilt Sandra, and your grandmother is going to love it!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dan, I positioned your bird applique block at the foot of the quilt, so every morning when my Grandma gets up and goes about her day she will get to look at it as she walks past. I figured seeing that pretty bird block would be a cheerful way to start her day. :-) Thank you for making that beautiful block Dan! :-)

Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Sandra,
    TFS, thanks for sharing!!

I can see why the gorgeous bird and dragonfly are her fav. I love them all!

I am looking forward to seeing this beauty after you quilt it.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you loisf for emailing me earlier and Rosa for posting here and letting me know what TFS stands for. :-) And thank you Rosa, glad you like the quilt so far. I have not decided on what color(s) of fabric to use for the binding yet, may have to do a post on QF to get some input on what to use. Well back to hand-quilting it. :-)

Sandra

• annikasmommykate
    11 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you like it annikasmommykate. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Best to you,
    Sandra