Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnesd_gw

Singer 401A Free motion

agnesd
16 years ago

The manual for the 1957 machine states that free motion is possible with no presser foot and feed dogs not engaged. I cannot seem to be able to quilt this way. Do I need a slantomatic free motion foot or am I doing something wrong. The machine is in good working order. I picked it up for the purpose of quilting.

Comments (7)

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

I think you'd need a presser foot to hold fabric down but just release the pressure on it. My old Singer is gone or I'd try it for you.

• anjea
    16 years ago

I have a a Singer 301A that is also supposed to usable for drop feed for FMQ. I know how to drop the dogs, but I have not been successful with it working properly. I've tried thread adjustments, tension adjustments, etc. There is a man in town that specializes in the old Singers, so I may take it to him to see if there is some "magic" technique.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Are your feed dogs lowered? They have to be manually put in the down position (or disengaged) below the throat plate for you to be able to free motion quilt.

My mom's old Singer 15-91 has a screw underneath the bed of the machine which must be turned to lower the feed dogs. I'll check a few places and see if I can find out about this for you.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I forgot to add that you can set the stitch length to "0" and leave the plate in the sewing position so that it is level with the surface and do FM that way. The feed dogs just go up and down. I do that sometimes, but have not done it on a 401. It does work best with a darning foot as the it helps to control the up and down of the fabric.

I do free motion and my machine feed dogs don't lower- here is the foot I use- costs around $5.00 - see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to darning foot

• bluebars
    16 years ago

Call Singer Customer Service: 1-800-4-SINGER
    They have been extremely helpful to me when I have had questions. Sadly, I parted with my 401A at tradein, and have regretted it ever since. They sure don't make them like they used to.
    BlueBars

• agnesd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I have called Singer and they directed me to a parts company. I ordered the presser foot. She, slso, said not to move the stitch to the fine area. Just leave it as is. They said that recently these machines are becoming quite valuable both for their sewing capabilities and because they are vintage. Guess I was lucky to buy it for $25.