Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

What do you think of as a quilt?

grammyp
10 years ago

Growing up our quilts were always "blankets" used on the beds as cover and draped a few inches over the edge of the mattress. There would be a bedspread on top of the bed that was folded down (or removed at night) to reveal a brightly colored/patterned quilt underneath. But the quilts I am seeing displayed on websites now have the quilt going all the way to the floor. That would make a queen quilt large and king size quilt HUGE (especially with our big thick mattresses these days).

Which do you think of when you hear the word "quilt"?

beverly

Comments (9)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Growing up my quilts were like yours and we had a bedspread too. But I don't like the feel of a spread nor do I like a comforter. so on our bed we have a topsheet and a quilt. It falls about 8 inches down the side of the bed on each side.

Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

My bed quilts are made to drop to the wooden bed frame. I wouldn't be able to quilt a quilt that drops to the floor. I also make them long enough to tuck in at the bottom.

The one I made DSS was for a king bed with huge mattresses, and that one about kicked my butt.

I didn't have quilts growing up, so I have no point of reference to the past, only what I do now.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I didn't have quilts growing up and you know there are zillions of interpretations of what a quilt is. A bed quilt can be any size the person wants. If I call it a quilt, my family will call it a quilt. lol

SharonG/FL (not much help, sorry)

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I think of a quilt as a bed covering to keep me warm but I realize there are many different sizes and interpretations. I prefer my bed quilts to drop to the bottom of the mattress as I like to use a dust ruffle and have it show. Most quilts are too interesting to cover up with a bed spread.
    As I have made many smaller wall hangings that are quilted with 3 layers I guess they classifies as quilts as well.
    I

• calliope
    10 years ago

It generally brings to mind a bedcloth at least large enough to cover the top of a mattress, regardless of the size of the bed. If I use one not large enough to come to a dust ruffle, then I often just make the bed up with a plain spread, and then lay a quilt, folded in half at the bottom of the bed, so that one can pull it up during the night if needed. Growing up, my mother always made us remove and fold up bedspreads when we retired. Those were the days of the heavy chenille or satin spread and they were for decoration only and not to soil so as needing laundered often. We never had quilts........

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

No quilts growing up, so I have no frame of reference. I've made a number of quilts in my last two years, but all except one, were lap size or for a wall hanging, non for a bed except one twin size for a small child. I think I tend towards what everyone else is saying, lay over the bed top and drape to the bed frame; then it is on show and useable for warmth as needed, dust ruffle optional.
    V.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ask this because a friend asked me to make her grandson a twin quilt and I have a pattern that will make one to be used as a cover. But is seems she assumed it would go to the floor an be used as a bedspread. Well, that makes a difference in fabric required. Think I will see if we can compromise.

beverly

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I'm also sad to say, I didn't have any quilts growing up. We had bedspreads that were more of a decoration for the bed and removed or folded down at night. Sheets and blankets were what we slept under.

The working on a second quilt for my sons bed because he is complaining that the one I already made doesn't go down the bed far enough. And that's not because he makes his bed in the morning!!

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Interesting question! One of the common ideas here is a quilt just as a cover to fit the top of a mattress but I had never heard of that or even considered it. We didn't have bedspeads that got taken off the bed either. I swear, I was not raised by wolves but I guess we weren't very fancy at home.

My aunt made quilts and they were all large enough to drop to the bed frame. My mother didn't use dust ruffles but the quilt didn't drop to the floor. As I recall, that space was just open.