Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Prairie Point Pillow Case Method

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Has anyone used this method to do prairie point pillowcases? I plan to give it a try but would love to know if it really works!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Point Pillow Case Tutorial

Comments (9)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Have never done that but it would be a neet way to make a bunch for a quilt boarder as well. TFS. Jayne

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

The method will work fine, and it will look wonderful.

Personally, I wouldn't want all those loose pointy bits on a pillowcase. They would drive me nuts during the night and I mash my pillow around quite a bit while sleeping. It is just my opinion, of course.

• lynndianne
    12 years ago

Love prarie points but wouldn't use on a pillow. As you get older the wrinkles in a pillow will show up on your face. With prarie points, I would have triangles on my face (ha ha). It's hard to get creases out of your face.

Lynn

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL - thank you for your wrinkle concerns but I have several pillows on my bed (I like to read in bed) and the pp embellishment will only go on a couple cases, not on the pillowcases we'll actually sleep on. I'll post pictures when I'm done and it will make sense!

• polardream
    12 years ago

Kate, I have made praire points using that method and it works really well. Have you seen this tutorial on sausage roll pillowcases? I think she does a really good job showing how to make them so you end up with NO unfinished seems. Lynn, my face ends up with all the wrinkles too - would also have triangles!
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Sausage roll pillowcase

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a good demo, Sue. I did mine with all finished seams too. I ended up with 2 standard size cases and two king cases today. I used the same fabric for the body of the cases and white for the end pieces. The prairie points are on the kings. I have two more kings to make and think I'll do those in white with the end pieces done in a piano key pattern of the 1930s leftover pieces.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Picture time!

4 pillowcases:

The casing on the standard size pillowcases is much wider than the one on the prairie pointed kings. That's because it was all the ducks with umbrellas fabric I had, but I like the effect. Because it's so nice and wide, I may use the bunny applique there. The quilt is already so 1950's extreme that I might as well take the pillowcases just as far! Really, I love it all, but the whole thing is almost ridiculous; in a very sweet way, of course!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

those are darling, Kate. It's amazing what you can get done when down with a healing knee. You inspire us!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was my Recovery Quilt! I will always look at it and remember this time in my life. Don't be impressed though... I spent the first 4 weeks after surgery just staring at the TV. It wasn't until the 5th week that I started sewing at all.