Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Official 2013 Quilt Retreat SignUps

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

Quilt Retreat at Camp Cheerio, NC is a GO!!

It will be the weekend of Sept. 5-8, 2013. We will gather Thursday afternoon, and have our first meal at dinnertime. We will have open sewing time all weekend until Sunday. (We may still have mini-workshops or tutorials periodically) Our last meal will be a bag lunch on Sunday, or you can take it with you if you need to hit the road early. That's 9 meals!

We will again sleep in the Millis Lodge with hotel style rooms, and private baths. Some rooms have twin beds, some have queen beds, some bunk beds, some have both and all have bathrooms. Bed linens and towels are provided.

We will have the 2nd floor of Sloan Center again for our sewing space. Last year's setup seemed to work very well, so I'll go for that same layout. There will be a maximum of 21 spaces for sewing. Husbands are also welcome, but we don't count them in our sewing space allowances.

Cost for 9 meals, sleeping accommodations in the lodge for 3 nights, and sewing space comes to $230 this year. A non-refundable deposit of $40 per person is due ASAP to hold your spot (and to allow me to pay the required group deposit to the camp). Balance is due at the conclusion of camp Sunday morning.

We are scheduled earlier in the Fall this year due to camp schedules, so there will be no Fall foliage to view, and I doubt we'll need sweaters/coats. But from what I've seen on their Facebook page, the weather should be beautiful!! I'm truly looking forward to getting away from my rat race and decompressing for a few days!

Spots are first open to any quilter who has already come to any retreats in the past. After August 6th, I will open remaining spots on a first-come-first-served basis.

Please sign up, and if you have any questions, past participants can help answer, you can search here for past Retreat threads that are likely to have more details, and I am happy to help in any way!!

1. Jennifer_in_VA/ Jennifer

Comments (56)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

2. Magothyrivergirl
    3. teresa_nc7/Teresa
    4. Lafonda ranch/Robbi
    5. Grammyp/beverly (don't know about Tim yet)
    6. littlehelen/Valarie
    7. k8orlando/Kate
    8.jackier123/Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2. Magothyrivergirl
    3. teresa_nc7/Teresa
    4. Lafonda ranch/Robbi
    6. littlehelen/Valarie
    7. k8orlando/Kate
    8. Jackier123/Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2. Magothyrivergirl
    3. teresa_nc7/Teresa
    4. Lafonda ranch/Robbi
    6. littlehelen/Valarie
    7. k8orlando/Kate
    8. Jackier123/Jackie
    9. justamomofsix/Katherine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I'm not sure where I'm standing on this......eye Dr appt Aug 6.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, so you can tell me on Aug 7th then, huh? Let your doctor know you have a trip planned so that he can give you a pass so you can go!!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I can't make it this year. My mother has some surgeries with rehab for a few weeks after (hopefully only a few!) so I'm staying close to home.

Last year was so much fun! The camp is so scenic, staff is friendly, good food, and excellent companions!

Have a lot of fun everyone and please post lots of pics for this of us left behind.
    Rosa

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

faytay - Wendy Faye :)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2. Magothyrivergirl
    3. teresa_nc7/Teresa
    4. Lafonda ranch/Robbi
    6. littlehelen/Valarie
    7. k8orlando/Kate
    8. Jackier123/Jackie

1. faytay - Wendy Faye
    2. toolgranny/Linda (She's on vacation this week but I think she already has her plane ticket!)
  • wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Is anyone driving to Atlanta after camp? Or in that direction for aways?

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Sorry to be taking myself off the list but the doctor says I have to have my rotator cuff fixed in my shoulder the week before. I'll be too spaced out on drugs to drive or enjoy our get together. But, I'll see you next year.

Jennifer_in_VA/ Jennifer
    2. Magothyrivergirl
    3. teresa_nc7/Teresa
    4. Lafonda ranch/Robbi
    6. littlehelen/Valarie
    7. k8orlando/Kate
    8. Jackier123/Jackie

1. faytay - Wendy Faye
  • sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

For medical reasons I can't attend this year, but I'll make it a top priority for next year. I will miss everyone and look forward to the pictures.
    Jeanne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Even though my eye is progressing nicely and I now have no restrictions (woohoo), I'm still blind in one eye and can't see out of the other! Doc wants to see me one more time but has released me to go back and see the dr who did the cataract surgery and see about getting glasses. I am so sorry, but I cannot be counted on for this year.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've received deposits from Valarie, Kate, Katherine, Robbi, and Jackie

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I am very excited about this year!!! I have a timer set on my phone. Only 25 days left!!!

Robbi

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Robbi...Will dear jane be with you this year? or perhaps the baltimore album quilt? I remember both, thought both were spectacular and am curious how you have progressed.
    V.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Alas, for the second year, I will not be able to attend.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Jen, the check's in the mail! LOL

(no really...... it is)

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL I'll keep my eyes open for it!

Most details will not have changed for this year. There will still be a quilt show, so bring what you can/wish to share.

We have the Quilt Challenge to vote for, of course!

Retreat gifties...if you wish to do so.

If anyone wants to share a tutorial idea, just pull together instructions or any required preparations. I can email it to the group if you wish. (I don't have anything in mind this year, so it may be a free-sew weekend if no one else has anything!)

We will do "Two Minute Tips". This can be any sewing tip, storage tip, pressing tip or quick technique that might be new to the others. Feel free to bring 1 or 2 "two minute tips" to share!!

Left-Right-Center game: I'm open to any shape/size...someone make a suggestion!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I suggest 5" squares (in case there is another Nickel Quilt in my future).

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Are we going to do the Chinese Gift Exchange thing again?

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let's do 5" charms in any colors...totally scrappy.

Has anyone already made ready for the Chinese Exchange?

watch for 2013 retreat packing lists, coming soon to a camper like you!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

The one yard fabric exchange might be fun and easy.

I'm good with sewing all weekend.

Like the idea of sharing Tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Yard fabric exchange

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I have gifties completed, but no Chinese Exchange made or thought even about :~)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have made something for the Chinese exchange, but it is something that I would be glad to keep for myself. LOL So I can go either way.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

5" scrappy charms - good idea!
    Gifties - not done, but I have a plan.
    Chinese exchange - i have something but can go either way on this.
    Yard exchange - i could do that.

Whatever we plan, I'm just excited it's almost time for the trip!

Kate

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

You'll have to fill me in on the Chinese exchange if its something we are going to do. I missed last year (booooo) so I don't know what you mean.

How many 5" charms should I bring?

note to self..... get that challenge done.....

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

5" scrappy charms - sounds fine to me-How many??

gifties are made...good with that

chinese gift exchange...have no idea,but will think on it..

yard exchange...how does that work?

I spent too much time fretting over the challenge...my own issue, so I'm happy with sewing all weekend...lots of projects on my list!

V.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Valarie,

I have all but 20 blocks done of the dear jane. I was hoping to have them all done so I could finish assembling it at the retreat. I do have all but 3 rows and the borders assembled The baltimore album hasn't had much done. Of the 3 blocks I need to do, I am just about finished with one. I hope to have a second one in progress to work on at the retreat, too.

I can't believe we have only 3 weeks til the retreat and I don't have any gifts or a Chinese exchange ready.

How many gifts do I need to make?

Robbi

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so executive decision time!

5" charms - in any color - bring 20

gifties - at this point 10 people coming, so you'd want to have 9

Chinese Exchange - >NOFabric Exchange - This could be fun. So, bring 1 yard of a jewel tone fabric. Could be batik or tone-on-tone. Make it something you love because you'll be taking home a large chunk of it. (This is fun! but I will be cringing while we do it!)

Don't forget a fall fabric for your tree's leaf! We'll add to the camp quilt.

that's all for now.
    from your cruise director, jen

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have received all deposits. Thanks!

18 days left!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Still t0 campers in total?

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup! 10 campers this year.... Bring lots of projects to work on...we'll have lots of space to spread out!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup! 10 campers this year.... Bring lots of projects to work on...we'll have lots of space to spread out!

• gininmn
    10 years ago

Two weeks ago when I saw slots weren't all filled, I seriously started considering coming, even went and found flights to Charlotte and looked into car rental and figured my budget. When I unexpectedly got a new baby. Well not a human baby (well past that here) but became the mamma for a 8 week old puppy. So home I'll stay but will watch for lots of sharing here by those of you at Camp Cheerio. Know you'll have a great time at retreat. How about some videos of the games?

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ginnie,

Oh, I wish you'd come! But maybe we'll let you off the hook if you share a picture of the new baby with us.... just maybe...Congrats!

• gininmn
    10 years ago

Jennifer, et al, Guess I forgot how to do the photo thing here. Hope this works this time. If not I'll just try again. (Hoping) here are a couple pictures of my new puppy and my old one. New one was 8 wks when I got her, now 9 wks. I named her Adeline Darryl Rose. Old one is named Phoney Peony. :) Addie isn't quite as well-behaved as Peony but she's a lot more fun, if not a bit tiring. It's tough being a new mommy at 65.

• gininmn
    10 years ago

Maybe works this time

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now isn't she precious!

Okay, so I'll forgive you for not coming to retreat, though you could have waited until after retreat ;)

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

Hope you all have a wonderful time at Retreat this year. Wish I could be with you again - maybe next year!
    Kristene

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

Hope you all have a wonderful time at Retreat this year. Wish I could be with you again - maybe next year!
    Kristene

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Ginny, she is so cute! Maybe you could sneak her on the plane. We won't tell.

beverly

• buteau3rd
    10 years ago

Sorry the retreat is too early this year for our annual return to FL......I know that everyone will enjoy the weekend, and I will be regretting not joining y'all. I think Rip will miss it too.....all those goodies!

• gininmn
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words about my puppy. She's a sweetie and a good girl, most of the time.

Really do wish I could come. Maybe next year. But I have heard a story that the place is just infested with mice. This picture was posted on Facebook recently.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

EEeeeek!! Yikes! Who'd want to come to retreat with those around?!?

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Love to eat dem mousies, mousies what I love to eat. Bite their little heads off, nibble on they tiny feets.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Adorable puppy! I have a new 8 week old baby too. Mine's a tabby kitten named Boo.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Boo is adorable! Do you think he would enjoy a mouse as much as Bev ???

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I will make a mouse for, Boo.

beverly

• gininmn
    10 years ago

Boo is adorable and I'm sure she'd love it that you're going to make her her very own mouse. As far as eating the mice, I think you all should be required to sing the ditty Bev posted above before gobbling them down. When I posted that photo on FB, my niece asked if there were any blind mice. What I've learned from studying animal behavior is that the wounded and certain types of animals are often disproportionately susceptible to predators and that's why she didn't see any blind ones or any chocolate brown ones.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Boo would love a mouse!