Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

'Bunny, Duck & Cover'

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Finally! Here it is: Bunny, Duck and Cover; a tribute to a happy childhood in the 1950's. The fabrics are 1930's repros but they remind me of the 1950's when I was a child in the Midwest. Lots of ducks and bunnies, of course. The finished size is 108"x98".

Two year's worth of birthday blocks, several more added to make it king size, lovely quilting by Mary Beth our local professional longarmer, 4 pillowcases, and finally, 2 days to do the binding. We had it on the bed last night and it's lightweight enough to be comfortable for summer use. I can't begin to describe how happy I am with it!

Kate

Comments (26)

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Awesome, Kate! I love the panto she used - it's great on the quilt.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mary! I wasn't sure what to use for the quilting, but wanted something that fit the style. I think she really found a good one.

• jackier123
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Gorgeous quilt! Isn't it wonderful to sleep under your very own quilt? :)

Rebecca

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, You did a wonderful job of getting it put together! I can imagine your pleasure in it. I always sleep better with a quilt....either covered with it or hugging it. I'm just like a kid! lol

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Love it!

Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

This is beyond terrific!! You did a fantastic job. You clearly had the vision to make these 2 years of blocks work.
    The quilting is perfect - so is the binding. I love your pillowcases. You should be so proud.
    Did you sleep well? LOL

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

It's wonderful, Kate. I love it!
    Great idea about the pillow cases and the quilting is beautiful.
    Jeanne

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

That's just wonderful, Kate. That combination of colors is great with the white background on each. I must keep that pattern in mind. Good job.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the comments!

Yes, i did sleep great under it last night! Like a little girl with no worries or aches. Quilts are magic.

The block in the center is the oh-so-easy Buckeye Beauty. You could make dozens of quilts with this block, in different color combinations and block settings, and they would all look different. I think it's my favorite block; I learned about it here on this forum a few years ago.
    The border block is the not-so-easy London Square. It doesn't look difficult but it's a bit tricky to put together if you aren't comfy with triangles and diagonals. Worth the trouble though!

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Just beautiful!!! Love the pillowcases too!
    Isn't it wonderful to sleep under something YOU made?????

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I love this quilt!! And what a special use of the birthday blocks. I just started a "grandmother's flower garden" quilt and I have a lot of 30's fabrics already cut for it, so I think I will continue with that. I love the colors, very relaxing, perfect for a bed.

Robbi

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, it is fabulous! I love the colors and Mary Beth's quilting is beautiful! Love your pillow cases, too.

Maybe you'll inspire me to finish my king size in progress so I can have a new bedspread!

Donna

• bonica
    12 years ago

That is awesome!!! Do you now have the urge to redecorate your whole bedroom??
    I think that the best part is that you get to keep this one for yourself. You're gonna love looking at that every day!
    Bon
    :)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

"Quilts are magic"...........and especially magical when quilty friends contribute to that magic! That's exactly the way I feel with my blocks made from Lotto block winnings. Your description is perfect!

I really like the inner border treatments - I remember you saying you receive many blue Buckeye Beauty squares. It is beautiful.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

That is charming. You and your quilter did a great job. Sweet dreams.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

What a lovely quilt and successful BD block exchange!

Gwen

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Fabulous, K8! Love it, love the colors, love the borders, love the quilting, love it all! 'Course, I'm partial to the 1930's prints.

My longarm quilter used almost the same design when she quilted my Sunny Lanes quilt made from the 30's fabrics.

You will even enjoy making up the bed in the morning with your own quilt on the bed! I betcha!
    Teresa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I keep coming back to look at this quilt. This is my kind of "eye candy". Love it. love it. love it! I did do this pattern once but in jewel tones, this is much more appealing to me. Maybe I will do it again.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish Bill still visited this forum! It was his 1930's birthday block choice several years ago that got me started on the reproduction fabrics. I would never have considered them before that but it only took one block for me to be charmed. I would love to show him what his influence created!

Kate

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

That turned out lovily. Love what you did with the pillow cases. They fit will with the quilt and fabric.
    I think I am may be a part of that quilt as I remember doing those blocks. The patters work so well together. TFS.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The birthday groups were Carolina Lilies in 2010 and Piece of Cake in 2011. Hugs to all!

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

Beautiful and I really like the matching pillow cases :-)

Vicky

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It is beautiful!!!! I have yet to make a quilt for my bed, I don't know why.
    I love the matching pillow cases too.
    Rosa

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

the overall pattern idea with the accessories is really neat. Great choice in colors/pattern.

Barbara

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

Fantastic overall look! Great that the blocks from 2 years fitted so well together and then you were able to add the borders. A really beautiful quilt Kate.

Kristene