Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Question: School supplies....

Just got back from our little mall and school supplies are all over the place....on sale. What are some of the school supplies that double as sewing and quilting supplies for you?

I like the clear pencil boxes with attached snap lids. There are other things, but that's what I bought today. ::-))

SharonG/FL

Comments (12)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

In another quilt forum, I happened upon last week, all the women were extolling the virtues of Elmer's Washable school glue. They seem to use it in place of basting spray.
    Have you all heard of this or used it? If it works, I might buy a bottle and test it out.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I think Rosa uses it for bindings. Not sure how it would work for basting spray as, wouldn't your needle get gummed up while quilting through it? Not having used it for basting spray, I really don't know any pro's or con's, but someone else will know.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon I need to get some plastic pencil boxes, just added that to my shopping list. I like to by Fiskar small scissors with dull points for my hand quilting, embroidering, and for my crocheting - I always have several of these on hand. This year I got the small Fiskar scissors with the black metal, non-stick coating and they seem to cut much better than the regular ones, they do cost a $1 or $2 more, but they are so worth it - I just stocked up on them. I used to use small, sharp pointed scissors for hand work and then after being tired one night sewing I accidentally let the scissors slide too much when cutting thread and ended up putting a whole in one of my quilt tops, so after that for hand work I use the small round ended Fiskar school scissors that do not have a sharp point.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• day2day
    10 years ago

I usually buy pencil sharpeners, lead pencils and sometimes the pencil cases, mechanical pencils, markers, graph paper and also glue. I stocked up on glue at Staples a few weeks ago...it was cheap.

I have used the clear WASHABLE Elmer's school glue for basting. It didn't gum up my needle and I use it now for all my basting...no more pins!

If you hand-stitch the binding to the back, you have to be careful not to get it too near the quilt edges. Another lesson I learned is to dribble the glue on from a height. If you hold it too near the fabric the glue may cause small blobs. Holding it up lets the glue dribble out in a stream.
    I usually have the backing on the floor but I guess it would also work using a table. I put on the glue in lines from top to bottom. Then I smooth on the batting and let the glue dry. Then put glue on the batting and smooth on the top and let the glue dry.

My friend finds it difficult bend over so she puts the backing on the wall and puts the glue on and continues from there. She says it works for her. You may get glue on your floor but it's not problem for me......it washes off my laminated floor with a damp mop.

I tried the Elmers school glue in stick form but it doesn't go far, and in my opinion, it is harder to put on. If any is left over, I found it dried up within a few days.

The glue comes out of the quilt with the first washing.

~Geraldine

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I use the washable school glue to put bindings on, the Sharon Schamber way. I buy small spiral notebooks as well. They are more plentiful this time of year and I like to keep one in my purse for notes.

• janice__indiana5
    10 years ago

3 ring binders, plastic page protectors, and copy paper!!! I belong to a group of girls that have worked on like projects at the same time. We use 3 ring binders to keep track of finished blocks. We print off sheets of paper that have the block numbers with their page #'s printed on each sheet. The sheets are placed in plastic page protector and the finished block is added when done. We also add a graph of the quilt and mark off blocks as they are finished. We always want to look at the blocks people have finished since the last time we were together. This system helps keep our blocks clean, helps keep seam allowances from raveling, and helps to keep us organized!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Yes to the plastic pencil boxes, the small spiral notebooks, the Fiskar Student scissors, lead pencils, etc. Sometimes the plastic storage containers are on sale for college dorm use. I use these for WIP storage or special collections of fabric that go together that I don't want to put in my stash.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

All good ideas.
    I was wondering about basting with Elmer's....doesn't it make the fabric stiff in the spots where it is used when it dries???

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Janice I like to use the 3-ring binders and clear plastic page protectors to organize all my quilt patterns and plastic templates for them. Thanks for mentioning copy paper, I need to add that to my shopping list. This is a great thread. I am enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Notebooks, page protectors, pencils, pencil holders, pencil boxes, scissors, graph paper, magnetic organizer boxes, printer paper, glue, desk lamp, stack-able plastic cube organizers/containers, washable markers, colored pencils ...

beverly

• nannykins
    10 years ago

In other words, GrammyP, the whole school section. LOL.
    Good for you.
    I am thinking a trip to Walmart this afternoon is in order.
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I bought notebooks, crayons, and more glue lol!!!!

Sharon S. had the video that I watched for using Elmer's washable glue for bindings. You use a small amount, iron it dry (very fast drying), it washes out. I have never had problems with hand sewing (I also use it for applique) or with machine sewing. It has never gummed up my needles.

I have seen several posts about using it for basting. I used it on a baby size and was happy with. When I tried it on a twin size I wasn't happy with the results.

Sharon S. and some of the other sites were selling metal caps to replace the original. I found a hair dye tip fit perfectly.

If you decide to try it make sure it is the regular washable glue that the kids use. A little goes a long way and remember to use a pressing cloth.

If anyone has used it for basting, I'd like to hear their results.
    Rosa

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner