Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

QOTD - What's your favorite "go-to" pattern?

loisflan
9 years ago

I'm going to jump right in here with a QOTD. I hope others will post their questions too, or this will be a very short exercise.

When you need a quilt in a hurry, which pattern do you choose? I made a "Warm Wishes" quilt recently that went together quickly and easily. A picture of my quilt is posted under the subject line "A Quilt for my Friend." A free pattern is offered at the website listed below. I doubled the size shown, and my quilt was 50x72.

Please post a photo and/or give a URL address for your "go-to" quilt, if possible. Thanks for your participation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Wishes

Comments (25)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I don't know that I have a real go- to pattern. Most of what I do now is for cancer quilts, so I like to do something different every time, usually a simple pattern. But I really like the Double Four Patch, that one I have repeated. And I did like your Warm Wishes. It is on my list.
    Theresa
    PS thanks for starting the thread.

This post was edited by nannykins on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 17:39

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I guess I would have to say Log Cabin. First of all, I never get tired of that pattern (I've made three of them) and second of all, I can make it without hardly thinking about it, don't need to refer to a pattern or directions, it's fast, and it uses up strips from the strip stash.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Since I'm pretty new to quilting, I don't have a go-to pattern. One of the reasons I joined the monthly Lotto was to learn how to piece and to find 'the perfect' pattern. Well, now it seems that every month I end up with 'the perfect' pattern!! ....it is ALWAYS my favorite!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I've been trying to think what is my go-to pattern and I don't think I have one. If I need a quilt real quick that doesn't have to have certain colors or fabric, then I check out the tops I already have done, or the blocks that are already made and go for it! I did like the Zig-Zag Rail Fence I made awhile back and it was fast, but there really are a lot of patterns that can be made quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zig-Zag Rail Fence Pattern

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

I can't think of any go-to patterns for me either. I choose fabric from my stash and then figure out what I can make with what I have.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I have more of a "been there, made that" mentality. :) I rarely make a pattern more than once.

Last year I made one of the Turning Twenty variations from a kit. It was really fast to make - big blocks made of few pieces, no seams to match, and it doesn't matter where the fabrics are placed.

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

While I don't have a specific pattern as my "go-to" pattern, I find I use half-square triangles, 4-patch and 9-patch more often than other pieced blocks. HST are so versatile and can be used to make numerous quilt blocks and there are easy tricks to make a lot in a shorter time. Just do a Google search on "half square triangle quilt patterns" and click on "images."

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Last year, I decided my go-to pattern for quick-ish quilts was the Falling Charms by Missouri Quilt Company. I made 3 (technically completed 2 and gifted) and I have a 3rd one waiting for borders that will be a wedding gift. I'm sure I'll move on to another pattern. :~)
    My go-to Method quilts are the strip tube by Cozy Quilt Company. After making at least a dozen quilts using this method, I finally bought the ruler and just received it this week.

Lois - Thanks for starting the QofTD!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

I can't say i have a go to pattern either. I see a pattern I like, find fabric I like and eventually plug the two together.

I will say one of the quilts you posted I loved, and you were kind enough to let me know the cut size for the blocks. It turned out to be the easiest quilt I've ever made. I would say this would be my go to for a really quick quilt in the future. The one in the pic is sandwiched, but the quilting is yet to be done....maybe next month.

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

I don't have a special "go to" pattern but when I want something quick and easy I think of the disappearing 9 patch pattern. Like the easy and variations I can get with it from just using my stash.

• bozogardener
    9 years ago

Probably the disappearing 9 patch, like above. With the fabric choices, the looks can be quite different, and the little squares look like you've spent a lot of time piecing. ;)

This one has a different setting than usual, and was made with a 5" Moda square set for a donation.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Jayne, I really really like your D9P fabrics. Very nice!

Bozo, You're right about there being so many variations of layouts with the D9P. Plus, the fabric and various placement of fabric makes it all the more versatile. I like being able to use the center block as a cornerstone and the sliced blocks as sashing, too.

This one was done with the D9P method, too. The next time I do one this way, I think I'll make the slicing blocks narrower than the corner blocks as this has a lot of blank space.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful:

• polardream
    9 years ago

Jayne and Sharon,
    I think the DP9 is also one that I use if I need something quick and easy. I have made a couple for baby quilts and put specific blocks in the corners (that don't get cut) of A-Z alphabet items so it can be an "I Spy" quilt and the recipients have really liked them.
    Sue

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I am starting to make baby quilts like this 16 - 8" granny square blocks with 4 - 12" blocks in the center that I designed for Chrizty's grandbaby quilt last year. And I like this option of being able to change up the colors as needed for boy or girl baby quilt, and I like the ability to change up the center blocks and make it look like a totally different quilt. I like being able to work with different size blocks. So this is becoming my " go-to" block layout for baby quilts that I make... in the process of making blocks for a 2nd baby quilt like this only boy themed for my cousin's wife who is expecting in September.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

Disappearing nine-patch is a favorite for a quick quilt. This layout is by far my preferred:

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Great selection of teasers. I've started a sticky note on my computer of patterns to try from all the inspirations you all share.

Sandra, what lucky Mom's and babies! That's wonderful.

LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I don't have a favorite either and rarely make the same pattern twice, but I do like 9 Patch Pizzazz for a quick and interesting quilt. I've made this three times and will probably do it again. Perfect for a sofa quilt or baby quilt.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 Patch Pizzazz In A Day book

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

For something quick, I usually fall back on HSTs and what they can be turned into. Depression Block is a favorite but even just laying them out in rows produces a quick baby quilt. I also use Irish Chain a lot for gift baby quilts.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

For something quick, I usually fall back on HSTs and what they can be turned into. Depression Block is a favorite but even just laying them out in rows produces a quick baby quilt. I also use Irish Chain a lot for gift baby quilts.

• day2day
    9 years ago

I have made 3 D9P....like the different layouts.
    Lois...good QOTD.

Kate,I never made a 9-Patch Pizzazz quilt bu tevery time I saw a pic of a 9-Patch Pizzazz quilt, I wanted to get the book.
    Finally broke down...followed your link and just ordered it.
    Thanks for being an enabler...er...a motivator.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Yeah, that's me. I'm just here to help in any way I can! LOL

Really, you'll love the pattern. Here's two very different quilts, but both 9PPizzazz.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Those are both so pretty I may have to succumb.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Just bought the kindle copy. I hadn't even noticed it's author is someone I took two different classes from over the years.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I remember years ago finding this pattern and thinking I should try it when magothyrivergirl posted a picture of one she had done. It was great and seeing it encouraged me to give it a try. I have to give her full credit for this one; I see lots of patterns I like and only try a fraction of them. If I hadn't seen hers I'm not sure I would have ever gotten to it.

Thanks M!!!

Kate

• redmary
    9 years ago

Diversity is my preference. I see a pattern and then want to try it! I really like to try new approaches----so many different choices out there and that is why monthly lotto is attractive to me. Thanks to all for sharing all your quilts! Gives me fodder for the next project(s) that I can consider.
    Mary

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz