Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

FMQ thread

littlehelen_gw
11 years ago

Hi, New to FMQ and almost finished my first one...I say almost because I FMQ the majority of the top, but the border of this lap size quilt is mostly black fabric. I'm not that confident that I want the nuetral thread I used through the center of the quilt to be displayed on the black border. I have some Mono Poly -clear very fine polyester thread...could I use this for my border FMQ or should I get some black thread for the border? thanks for your help...

V.

Comments (10)

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I personally hate the Mono, even though I have used it, and on black fabric-I would not use the clear, I would chose the charcoal mono. The clear will be shiny on the black. That said, I recommend using Black thread. I change colors within a quilt often.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have been known to change as well, but sometimes base that decision on what I use for the backing fabric and how pleasing it will make the results. I detest monofilament threads too, and remember back in the sixties and seventies when it first came onto the sewing market and how if it ended up in a seam, it irritated places like necklines and waists and was really bothersome. The thought of putting in a bed quilt (if it were one I did not take off at night and fold, and most of them I don't and just launder often) makes me itch. LOL.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I use the Sulky invisible for FMQ when the quilt has so many colors within it. It works great for me. But, I don't care for it on black for the reasons Marsha states. I'd use black thread.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I would use black too!

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so glad I checked w/ everyone, out w/the mono-poly! I'll stop by my quilting shop for an alternative.. Sulky invisible...like that idea.
    The backing is muslin, so if I don't fine the invisible, I think a black border on the back will be ok.
    Thank you all!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I agreed with the black thread also. And be sure to post a picture when you're finished. We'd love to see your quilt. Lois

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Val - did you get the black border quilted yet? Bleached or non bleached muslin for the backing?
    If it is tan - reg muslin - and the tension on your new machine is good --- use a khaki color in the bobbin and black on the top. If the tension is good (as it should be) you will get perfect color on both the top and back - no worries. Test it first.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Have any of you tried Isacord for fm quilting? It was recommended in a class I took recently and I love it! It's heavier than I normally use and has a pretty sheen without being 'slippery' like Sulky can be.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm prepared for the invisible or the black thread, but like the idea of the black on top and the tan / muslim color in the bobbin - thanks Marsha. I'm taking Friday off from work and will finish the top over the weekend, and I hope to wrap up another project as well.
    loisf: Will post when complete...
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I'm excited to finish up this little project.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Here's a book you have to check out!

Free Motion Quilting with Angela Walters.

The FM quilting designs are beautiful and the instructions are very clear.

She has a class on Craftsy too, but I haven't signed up for it (yet).

Here is a link that might be useful: Angela Walter's Website & Blog