Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

My 4th of July weekend project

K8Orlando
10 years ago

It wasn't quilting but it did require fitting pieces together and cutting pieces to the right size. DH Jim and I put in this wood floor in our guest room. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. We've used bamboo in the rest of the house but decided on this gray laminate in this room. I'll be using the same flooring in my sewing room next. I can hardly wait to get rid of that ancient carpet! It must be hiding a thousand inches of thread and probably a hundred pins.

Comments (18)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Kate! It looks like a beach house. :)

We put laminate in the main part of our house about 10 years ago. It still looks good! Ours is some kind of birch...light in color.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Sure does look nice!! Well done!

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Ooooo....I didn't know they made laminate floors in gray and I guess other colors too? That looks really good. I think gray is a very serene and neutral color - rather than black any day.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Very nice. I would like that in my sewing room!! A job worth doing and just right for that room.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Really beautiful, Kate.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Looks good. Very soothing.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Looks really nice, Kate. I like our laminate floors, too. Did you move the bed?

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Sharon, I'm sure she moved the bed to put the new floor down. Would have been weird to leave the part under the bed undone!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Very pretty floor! Back breaking and knee pain work! Easier to sew! great job - you will love it in your sewing room!

• day2day
    10 years ago

Looks great. Never thought of grey as a laminate color but it sure looks nice on your floor.
    I have a light-colored laminate in my sewing room. Put it in about 8 years ago and it still looks new. Easy to clean too.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, we moved everything out of the room about 2 weeks ago then pulled up the carpet, baseboards, dust bunnies, dog & cat hair, etc. and scrubbed the room clean. I've had everything from that room stacked up in the dining room for two weeks. It was a mess, but that's just part of the process. Now I'll start the same process on the sewing room, but taking everything out of there is much more daunting! It really does look like an episode of Hoarders in there because it's my sewing and crafting stuff, leftover stuff from when my mother lived with us, a couple hundred books, and the catch-all for everything non-Florida people would put in their basement. It's scary but it needs to be done.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

la la la la la, Jennifer! ....she had some awesome things in that room and it appears, if I remember correctly, that the bed is facing a different direction than it was. She also has some awesome things in her sewing room!

I feel your pain on no basement, Kate.

SharonG/FL

• User
    10 years ago

I like your flooring Kate. I have a wood laminate floor in my sewing space and I love it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Sharon! Really, I just had Jim hold it up in the air while I put the flooring down. We are such a TEAM!!!

You are right, the bed IS facing a different direction. It left more room for the exercise equipment that we haven't put back in the room yet.

I have three things in there I love: my mom's sewing machine table (the plain one on the right with the TV on it), my SIL's grandmother's treadle machine and table (the bedside table), and a small Oriental rug we bought in Morocco many years ago. They all make me happy.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Well, Kate, of course you did! Poor Jim!!! LOL I wasn't there long enough to get a good look at the machines, and to be truthful, only remember seeing one. I was more interested in your sewing room. Now that's going to be a good before and after picture. :-)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL! (I would say "Rolling on the floor, laughing out loud", but we both know there's NO ROOM ON THE FLOOR FOR ROLLING!)

I'm not sure I dare post a 'before' for the sewing room. Too scary...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

You're a good sport, Kate!! I'm pretty sure most of us can relate. At least you'll be able to have an 'after' picture! lol

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh how beautiful. My living room floor is a very light laminate too. Looks like one of those "oasis" they liked to talk about on HGTV