Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

What I've been doing today.

msmeow
10 years ago

I am very frustrated with trying to finish my fused applique wall hanging, so I decided to put it away for another day. Since that meant I had all day today free I decided to start another kit I've had in the box for several years.

This is a George Siciliano design/kit. If you're not familiar with him, he makes teeny tiny log cabin variations. This one is called "Treemendous".

Yes, it's on my cutting mat, and yes, it's 3-1/2" square. LOL There are 71 pieces in the block. I'm about halfway through the second one; there are 31 in the quilt. :) The whole quilt will be 19 x 23.

Of course, I could always sew them into a bullet-proof vest - that sucker is THICK!

Donna

Comments (33)

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's pretty, but it looks tedious! Have fun.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Love it Donna!!

I have one of his kits... Started in March at Quilt In, but it required more attention than I could give it that day. I can't wait to have 'quiet time' in order to get back to it.

Can't wait to see yours!!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Oh my, Donna! What a sense of accomplishment each 3 1/2" block must give you! It looks great!!! Do you plan to weigh it when the top is completed? lol

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

That is amazing! You have more patience than I do. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

You are insanely good at small blocks! I can hardly wait to see the whole project.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna,
    How do you handle all the bulk? As I worked on mine, I had a hard time finding my next sewing line due to all the bulk in back. Any hints?

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jennifer, I've been trimming the seam allowances to 1/8". Sometimes it is hard to see the next line! And the numbers are printed on the foundations in red, which is nearly impossible to see with the dark fabrics.

Donna

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Amazing! I took a class and the teacher instructed us to use a highlighter to make the sewing lines more visible.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Wow. I'm impressed! Knowing the size, it's even more incredible!

I drafted a twisted log cabin about 12 years ago. It was larger blocks than this one and it was still tedious. To date I only finished about 8...it's still waiting for me to continue, has it's own little drawer in my sewing room and everything :-(
    LindaB/CA

• grammyp
    10 years ago

WOW! Love the block, and you have more patience than I do.

beverly

• day2day
    10 years ago

I admire anyone that has the skill and patience to do this. It would drive me batty with frustration!
    Amazing work!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, LindaB - this will probably end up back in the closet, too. :) I'm surprised I got through 2 blocks in one day! But I'm sure it will get tedious before long.

The colors aren't great in my photo. It has 2 shades of red and 6 shades of green in addition to the black.

Donna

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

That's amazing. It seems like it ought to be impossible!

• lola99
    10 years ago

Wow, that's amazing. It looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing the entire quilt. I just googled George Siciliano and I love the optical illusions that he creates in his quilts.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I met him and his "quilts" at Paducah one time and was totally impressed with the size of them. I can't imagine doing one as PP is not on my list of things I enjoy doing.
    You are doing a fantastic job and I know it will be beautiful when you finish. Congratulations on your pursuance. I can hardly wait to see more. TFS.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I can't even begin to imagine sewing a block like that. It is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Kudos to you for your patience.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOOHOO! The trees are finally finished! All 31 of them!

It just needs borders, but they will have to wait - other projects need to be done first.

Right now it's 17 x 21 and has 2215 pieces of fabric. :)

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Congrats! Fabulous looking. You're amazing to finish it!

LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Applause - applause to you Donna...two thousand, two hundred and fifteen pieces...and it's looks awesome!!! I just can't imagine...
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

" Treemendous!" LOL Can you tell I looked at your 1st posting?

Beautiful work! Looks very tedious and stressful working with such small pieces. This deserves to be displayed year around.
    How do you plan to finish it? It would look nice matted & framed.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

You deserve a medal!!!
    Stunning!!
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It's beautiful! PP is my least fav thing to do, but I love the way it looks. I agree with Marsha, it would look great framed.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Donna, Nothing wrong with your fingers or eyes to be able to control those small pieces! Yes, I also agree....frame it! You should be able to win all kinds of ribbons with that one!

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Wow that is quite intricate. It turned out lovely, congrats on finishing it. TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! As we say around here, it's not perfect, but it's done! LOL

The pattern photo has just a 1" wide black border, but I think I'll do maybe a 1/2" black then a 1/4" red, then either another black or a small coordinating print for the outside border.

Maybe I will frame it instead of layering and quilting. It won't be easy to quilt - the blocks are really thick.

Donna

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Donna, did you paper piece those? I can't even imagine such intricate work, but it looks great.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Does anyone else see a 3d effect or or my eyes playing games?
    I did have them tested today and Dr. Says I am good for another year but I am wondering...
    Theresa

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobby, it's pieced on printed foundations. They feel like sew in interfacing, and you leave it in. That's part of the reason they are so thick!

Theresa, the color gradation gives the 3D effect. There are 6 shades of green and 2 of red.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Congratulations! It's really stunning. All those pieces boggle my mind!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

A great accomplishment. I admire the pattern and hard work you have put into it. The pattern gives a dimensional effect that is very interesting. I like you plan for the boarder. It needs some red I think. Congratulations, looking forward to seeing the end results.

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

Wow, that's awesome! Kudos to you for finishing it. I think I would have stopped at one!

It is beautiful, and I would frame it, too.

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Not only beautiful work, but the camera loves it too. How exquisite ! Labor of love for sure.

Gwen

• calliope
    10 years ago

Amazing!