Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Donna's Caribbean Dreams

loisflan
10 years ago

Back in the 90's, by friend Donna and I had some wonderful adventures sailing on her 44 foot sailboat in the Virgin Islands. I wanted to make her a quilt with a Caribbean theme. Her favorite colors are turquoise and purple, the color of the water and of the islands at sunset. My friend Jill did the quilting with a panto named, appropriately, Ocean Froth. The Minky backing? Well, this is Minnesota, even if it's 90 today.

Comments (18)

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

That is lovely! Nice job! I know Donna will love it.

Teresa

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Beautiful colors~looks like water, and will remind her of all the sailing and adventures you shared. Very pretty gift.

• day2day
    10 years ago

It is lovely....great 'ocean' colors.
    I'm sure she will treasure this wonderful gift.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Just lovely...sure to bring back happy memories!
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Oooooh, just love it! Just my colors!!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Very nice. I like your use of the fabric choices, simple but effective. Perfect reminder of good time. She will love it. TFS

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Lois, it's beautiful and everything about it fits the story of your adventures with your friend Donna. She is sure to love it!

kate

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Love the great ocean colors. I'm sure she will love it.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Perfect in every way, Lois. She'll love it!

SharonG/FL

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

It's lovely, and I bow before the Minky. That stuff is just murder.

• chickie1
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love the colors. Reminds me of sunsets and warm oceans. I know she will love it.
    Darlene

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

Beautiful colors. I'm sure Donna will love it.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it's beautiful! Love the color combination. Congrats on finishing it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. I really love those colors.
    LindaB/CA

• lola99
    10 years ago

Very nice color combinations. Donna will love it.

Did you or your friend Jill have any problem quilting with the minky? Did you use extra pins/basting? I ask because I have only used minky for backing once and I did it on a rag quilt so it was really easy to use. I'd like to use it more as a full backing like you did, but I was unsure about how it would act. (i.e. would it stretch, slip, or pucker)

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lola, my LAQ Jill said Minky is no problem for her. She has done about 6 or 7 Minky-backed quilts for me. She doesn't charge more for them, and each one is perfect - no puckers, stretching, etc. They all had batting, if that makes a difference.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. Donna gets her quilt tonight. I'm excited.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She absolutely loved it. She was like a little kid, jumping up and down and wrapping up in it. It made me so happy to see her appreciate it so much.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Oh no, I don't see that she loves that quilt at all! LOL
    Lois, you have made your friend very happy and the colors are perfect for her. It appears nobody will be able to take it from her either....like a kid, "It's mine!!! Don't touch it!!!" lol

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz