Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

The quilt from heck (sp)

grammyp
12 years ago

Actually the quilt is ok, but the Voyager was not happy to be quilting. It would sew along nicely, then start putting loops on the back. The fact I had black top thread and cream bobbin thread didn't help. It took me 3 times as long to finish as I had planned because I had to un-quilt (is that even a word) parts over and over. But it is finished now. These were blocks from a star exchange I did a while back. I didn't use all the blocks, so does it count as a finished UFO?

This is the back as finished.

And these are the loops that drove me crazy. It would sew nicely, then make loops, then sew nicely again. On the right you can see the holes where I had to take it out once before. Had to disassemble the tension assembly twice to finish the quilt (and it is only a double). Gotta find a solution to this problem, quilting is supposed to be restful, not stressful.

{{!gwi}}

We will be giving it away as a door prize at the bike ride next Saturday. I love the quilt, but it stresses me to look at it.

beverly

Comments (23)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I know you are glad to finally have that done. How frustrating. The upper tension is obviously not working right so hope your machine people help you. Didn't you already "loan" it to them to fix something not long ago?

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Those bright stars against the black are stunning! I can feel all your pain about the quilting not going right though. That is no fun!
    Jeanne

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Where's this bike ride next Saturday?? If you're donating your Voyager, I want to be there!! LOL

I really like this quilt! I've had problems with quilting just like yours... It's my summer quilt usually on my bed at this time of year. Frustrating to be sure. Hopefully it won't do it on the next quilt. Then you can just chalk it up to this combination (of quilt, fabrics, threads, junk in the machine, not enough oil, whatever) and move on.

jen

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now there is a thought Jennifer. Keep the quilt and donate the machine! The ride is here in town. Our bike club is sponsoring a metric century as a fund raiser for a scholarship and to maintain the mountain bike trail.

Yup, Linda. The first machine has cracks and leaked a bit of oil, but she sewed like a dream. Sent her back for repair and they sent me this one. While she was gone, the company sold to Nolting and I didn't find out for a couple of months. When someone from Nolting got in touch with me he didn't know much about the machines but willingly tried to help me work through the problems. Part of it was the bobbin case they sent back, replaced that, part of it was the thread (only likes King Tut thread), part of it was the tension assembly was not inserted completely. Worked all that out and it has been working fairly well, but for some reason on this quilt it didn't. Back to the drawing board, and the "help line". Their closest dealer is in Savannah, GA. Fortunately the owner has family in MS and drives right past my house on his way to visit. He very kindly offers to stop by if I need any help. I must say, the Nolting people have been very nice through all this.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beverly, my first thought was the bobbin case. I read that even a slight drop or knock is enough to bend these cases - sensitive little babies - who knew? Also a speck of link in the bobbin case can cause loops intermittently. Do you have an anti - spring washer in the bobbin case? May or may not be appropiate. I have read every book I can get my hands on about learning frame quilting-I have determined that you must first correct the bobbin tension and get that right, before you balance the top tension. Backwards from our regular machines.
    I'm lucky - my Pfaff likes all thread - that's what the dealer told me also - but....I only have a 9" throat which is about 5 1/2" of quilting space & less on a large quilt at the end.
    I also urge you to join the homequiltingsystems yahoo group if you haven't already - alot of very helpful, knowledgeable people.

Your quilt is really pretty -my kinda quilt! I hope it brings alot of money for your group!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I'm sorry you had problems with it but it really is a beautiful quilt! Very striking with all the brights against the black.

Can you ID the star in the 4th row down, second from the left? It's spikey, in yellow, pink and blue. I want to make it but think I'll need a paper piecing pattern for this one.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Kate,

That's my star. It is a Carol Doak paper pieced pattern. I can look up the book name and/or send you a pattern, but it might be easier & faster to just make one up yourself.

Just figure that that block is 4 sections of the same thing.

Let me know what I can do to help you out...
    jennifer

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I feel your pain Beverly. It's so frustrating to have tension problems. The quilt is beautiful though and worth the misery it caused you.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am with Fran, I feel your pain! It is a delightful quilt that will make someone very grateful that you put so much effort into making it right, painful as it was.TFS

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think the spiky star was Jennifer's. I love it and plan to make some for a quilt. I like the blue PP one in the 3rd row, too. Gotta find that pattern.

I do check and clean the bobbin case with each bobbin change. Learned that lesson the hard way. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Soon I will be able to lift that 75 pound monster and chunk it through the window!

beverly

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks Jennifer! If it had been a Quilters Cache pattern I would have looked it up, but I'm sure I can make it up myself. If I have any problems, I'll let you know though! Thanks!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Great quilt, Beverly.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt!! I had the same problem on the back. The dealer who sold me my new Janome said the problem is with the bobbin case. I bought a bobbin case that is specifically for free-motion quilting, and now it is perfect.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wanda, no one has mentioned a special bobbin case for free motion. What is the difference? Perhaps that is my problem, I'm using a regular case. I have one for pre-wound bobbins, and one for regular thread, but have not heard of one for free motion. I did ask about the pigtail bobbin case, and the both the Nolting desk and the dealer said not to get one. I even got a TOWA gauge and they both said throw it away.

beverly

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

I really want to get a long arm but I keep reading these kinds of stories. It may just not be worth it.

I truly hope you get the problem fixed.

Vicky

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vicky, despite all the problems, I still love mine. Just be sure and use the actual machine you will be getting. My first one was a dream, quiet, smooth, beautiful stitch. I'm sure all my problems are just because I got stuck in the transition between companies. Mine has a 17 inch throat, which is all I need. Even if I get a new machine, I won't get one much bigger.

beverly

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I'm sorry it was such a bear to finish, but it sure is beautiful!! I love the bright colors on the black background. I also like your design for the quilting.

Have fun at the fund raiser.

Robbi

• calliope
    12 years ago

I had that same problem with a quilt I decided to machine instead of hand quilt. I was so frustrated I could spit. I adjusted upper and lower tensions, changed brands of thread, cleaned the bobbin chase and oiled the machine and changed needles. I hate to tell you what was causing it and I found out by accident. When I put a new spool of thread on the thread spindle, it was much like how toilet paper feeds. rofl. You know how some people want it to unwind over or under hand? When I flipped the spool over and it fed from the other side, it stopped. Come to find out, the thread was slipping down off the spool and catching under it not enough to break the thread, but to have some drag and affect the tension.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

The bobbin holder for free motion quilting is preset with a lower tension to make it easier to achieve even tension control while free motion quilting. I don't know if they are made for all brands of machines, or if the Janome one would fit other machines.

Another possibility might be bobbin washers. Here's a link with information about them. I've never tried them, but have seen good reviews from members of another quilting board.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbin Washers

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Beverly the quilt is beautiful!!! I wished my FMQing looked as good as your problems lol!!!!!
    I am going to look for the FMQ bobbin and try it in my Janome.
    Rosa

• grammyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We had the bike ride yesterday. While we were waiting for the riders to get there and sign I was chatting with some of the other ladies in the club (also sewers). I showed them the areas of the quilt I was unhappy with and they both said "that is nothing, you should see some of the thing my machine does". Then it turns out the winner was her husband (purely luck of the draw with rider numbers). She was very happy with it.

Then while chatting with some of the riders when they came back in, I found out one of them was familiar with long arms. He agreed with my assessment of my machine and just getting caught up in the transition of ownership. He said a good internal cleaning should help, but since they are coming out with a new Voyager perhaps a deal could be struck for a new one. That was encouraging.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Beverly,
    Anyone would have to be nuts not to be extremely happy with it!!!!!!
    Keeping fingers crossed and lighting candles for a great deal for a new Voyager. You so so much for others Beverly you deserve it!!!!!
    Rosa

• SuperiorThreads
    12 years ago

Beverly,
    What a beautiful quilt. I'm so sorry you had problems with the quilting. Since this is a sporadic problem make sure you are delivering the thread correctly (cone on a cone holder, spool on a horizontal spool holder). Also check to be sure the thread isn't jumping out of the tension discs. We hope this helps you.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!