Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - September 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

NOTE: I'm posting this one early because I think you might want to work on it at the same time you're working on the August blocks. Both can be scrappy so it might save some cutting time.

The block this month is very pretty and makes great secondary patterns when put together in a quilt. In the linked pattern, they used a light background and only 4 colors (green, red, gold, blue), but we'll do this one scrappy; use as many or as few prints as you like. You can make the background scrappy too, if you want but I would stick with light to medium beige(s) so there's enough contrast to see the pattern of the block.

Quilter's Tip: If you don't have much stash and only want to use one or two fabrics, consider using a larger print so all your cut pieces have more variation.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

September 2012

For September, our block is Roberta's Jewels. It has smaller pieces than we've been dealing with but straight seams and not many HSTs. It's not hard but may take a bit more pinning to get seams to match up. It will be well worth the effort! Let's use scraps of any color. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

You can find Roberta's Jewel instructions here: Scroll down to the block for August at this link!

I haven't made this one yet, so I included a picture from the instructions:

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Comments (34)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I know I sent you a block for August already, but then I found some other fall like batik that...well I just had to have. So you can expect another August block and perhaps a Sept block or two as well, as soon as I get over the olympic fever.
    V.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Bump. Hoping to start my September block next week.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sandra~thanks for bring this back up & reminding me that I need to get busy! So happy you are still participating! :~)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MRG, don't forget the August block too! YOu'll like them both, I think.

I have already received a couple of these September blocks and they are really pretty. Very lively in scrappy colors with a light background. It's a great way to use a variety of small scraps!

Kate

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thank you bunches Marsha! I have a good beige/tan with white floral print for contrast, and have blue fabric, green fabric, yellow fabric & gold fabric, ... I don't have much in the way of red fabric so would it be okay if I substituted with a pretty pink or pretty purple fabric in place of the red? I know you said we could do this block kind of scrappy so would love ya'lls input on colors.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Okay. So...from a resident 'newbie'....does 'scrappy' mean pretty much whatever you can find in the way of fabrics?? LOL...you're in September and I've just now got the pattern for August printed!!! Y'all are GOOD!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Beth - I'm still in August--Scrappy is any 100% cotton (of course) - any color, any shade, but No glitter,No novelty, No themed, No juvenile - for this Lotto. I suggest keeping the neutral light for contrast so the pattern of the block shows up.

I struggle with scrappy, because I feel better with a controlled scrappy block.

Sandra, you don't have to follow the color placement of the sample, so pretty pinks & purples would be fine.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Ok that is good to know about the colors, and this way I can work from my stash, thanks Marsha and have a good weekend!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Bump. Am spending a little time cutting fabric for my block this weekend, hoping to actually sew it next week. Thankfully we are getting some rain this weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Marsha...when you say 100% cotton for scrappy...I assume and perhaps I shouldn't, that you include batiks as well?
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Yes~Quilter's Batiks are 100% cotton ---- my favorite! I have never seen a Batik I didn't like :)
    Scrappy for this Lotto is anything except the already mentioned Novelty, Glitter, Themed prints like Christmas, Juvenile, etc. Scrappy Batiks - yes!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I finished my block this afternoon. I really like this month's pattern. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Here's mine, Kate. I'll mail it this week. Lois

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

I finally have a new machine, so can join in September's lotto. I bought a Janome DC4030. It was on special and included the walking foot and 1/4" foot as part of the deal. Janome gave discounts for a trade-in, so I got rid of my broken machine too. Old or broken machines will be used for spare parts on other machines. They are planning to send as many machines as possible to East Timor as a donation to local industries.

Kristene

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I'll add my Sept. blocks here too.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

One done for Sept., may try to get another completed before Sept is over...will see.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just bumping this back to the first page, not that we're about to enter September!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Bump...

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! These are gorgeous.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got sidetracked by the Santa Face blocks (October lotto) this weekend and only completed one of these September blocks. It came out darker than I expected so I'll make my other two a bit lighter. Pictures later!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the one I did this weekend. 2 more to follow sometime this week.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry... Having trouble getting photos to link this weekend. I'll try later

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Nannykins -

I just finished my block and am wondering how you managed to get the points in the HSTs in the four corners so perfect?

Dawn

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn, if you follow the pattern the corner HSTs will have that little 'notch' but when one block is sewn to another, that disappears as the 1/4" seam allowance.

Does that make sense?

• nannykins
    11 years ago

It all depends on how you hold your tongue! LOL!
    Lots of practice! and sometimes ripping.
    It gets easier.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Kate, I mailed two blocks to you today. To be honest, I made four blocks, the first one is by now ashes, the second is posted on my bulletin board reminding me of what not to do in the future and the 3rd and 4th were acceptable and have been shipped. This was not my favorite, but I really did appreciate the challenge. Can't wait to try the Dec pp...that should be a hoot!
    love this lotto!!!
    V.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Thanks Kate and Theresa!

Yes, Kate it makes perfect sense. I just noticed that Theresa's are quite perfect.

This lotto is fun and I like getting the practice. I do hope it gets easier!

Dawn

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dawn, take two blocks and pin them together along the 1/4" line. You'll see that what looks like a notch on the unsewn blocks is a necessary offset so that the triangles' seam lines match up to a sharp point when the blocks are sewn together. So don't try too hard to make them 'perfect'!

• calliope
    11 years ago

It isn't the 'easiest' pattern in the world because of the size of the tiny pieces and getting each point to match up, but if you cut the pattern into quarters, you'll notice it is simply a buckeye beauty block. I'm on my third quilt now using Roberta's Jewel's and it makes into an awesome finished product. If I do another one, and I probably shall, I'm going to just size it up so that each little block is four or six inches, instead of the 3-1/2. That makes it much easier to get the matches spot on. The tinier the sub assemblies, the more critical that the cut and seam on each one is spot on, as any error in that is cumulative.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Thanks Kate. I will do that. I appreciate the explanation. Mine are definitely not perfect and I'm sure they won't be. :)

Calliope - That makes sense and I'm glad to know this isn't the "easiest" block!

Dawn

• lola99
    11 years ago

I sent mine yesterday

Lola

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

So many pretty ones. I'm blown away by how many of you are already completing December! Gotta get going, but at least I went out and bought the background fabric for this one. I've never got enough pale neutrals since I'm always in love with batiks or flowers or wild big patterns.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still have two more of these to make too!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Oops, I forgot to take a photo!

But I put three into the mail today.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz