Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Embroidered Pillowcases

quiltingfox
10 years ago

I just finished hand embroidering this butterfly / ladybug pillowcase today, which will be a Christmas gift for my Grandma. It took about 7 weeks to complete this one, and still have a 2nd one to finish. The blue ink will disappear once I wash it. I am happy with the way it turned out.

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (22)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Lovely hand embroidery.
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

They are beautiful! DH's grandmother made lots of embroidered pillowcases for the family. Most of hers were white on white. I still have them.
    Linda OH

• day2day
    10 years ago

It's lovely. The ladybugs are soooo cute.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Very delicate and charming, Sandra. You did lovely work.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sandra, it's beautiful! I haven't hand embroidered in ages.

I have 2 pairs of pillowcases that I embroidered 30+ years ago for my hope chest. I recently noticed a lot of the thread is gone, but that iron-on design is still just as bold as day one! I could embroider them all over again.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. My family likes to make and gift pillowcases that are hand-embroidered. My Mom has made me several that I treasure. Linda OH I am glad you have family embroidered pillowcases to treasure and use. Donna I wish I would have had a hope chest when I was younger - I think every little girl should have a hope chest. The pillowcases that I am making are pre-printed with an embroidery-by-number paper instructions. These pillowcases that I am making for my Grandma are to go with the white/pink/floral/butterfly quilt that I made for her last year, which GW friends of mine helped make blocks for. I have never done a great deal of embroidery work, so when I started this project I had no idea how long it would actually take. 6 weeks into this project I realized I would not have them finished by Mother's Day. I will be working on this project in between other projects so am thinking it is a more realistic expectation to give them as a Christmas gift. I love my Grandma, she is worth all the time it takes to make these, it is truly a labor of love.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 15:57

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

It is beautiful! Having hand-embroidered pillowcases myself, I know how much work--and love--went into making that. Your Grandma will truly appreciate this gift of love!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Your hand work is just lovely!! I've done one piece of embroidery and enjoyed every moment, but that was 30 years ago. I recall how long it took to accomplish my mission...yours will be treasured!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

That's stunning! How beautiful.
    I was thinking the other day I ought to drag out some of the beautiful old pieces of heirloom linens to use in the guest room. Might as well enjoy it instead of keeping it in the drawer!
    LindaB/CA

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Lovely work! I enjoy outline stitch embroidery such as bluework and like to combine it with my quilts. Those pillowcases will be so nice with the quilt you made for your Grandma.

Teresa

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful work. Anyone would love to own these pillowcases, but especially your grandma, since you made them yourself. She will know how much time and love went into them.
    Kristene

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Oh Sandra....those are just beautiful and so very special! What a great idea! I may just make a pair for my 92 yo mother in law for Christmas! ....what do you give a 92 yo?? Would you be able to say where you purchased them? Yours are sooo pretty! ...ladybugs, dragonflies and butterflies! ...could it be any better???

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Beautiful work! She will love them. I envy your patience in all the handwork you accomplish.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches. My Grandma is in her 80's and has pretty much everything she needs so I just figured this would be something practical that she could enjoy and use. And since my Grandfather passed last year I figured this along with the quilt I made makes an empty bedroom a little more inviting. Beth I bought these 2 matching, pre-printed pillowcases at Walmart in 2012 in one package that cost $10 plus tax. I think Walmart is still selling them. I want to get some more and put back for future projects. Linda B/CA I would get some use out of them if they are not too fragile, you can't take them with you when you go, and I would think that if someone spent all that time making them that they would want them to be used and enjoyed. Granted if they are too fragile I would just treasure them.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

Thanks for that info, Sandra! The Walmart here doesn't even have a fabric department anymore, but perhaps another on close by might...and, I'll look online, too! If Walmart had them, I'm sure probably other places might, as well.....I'll be keeping my eye out.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are most welcome. Sometimes Hobby Lobby carries them as well. If you are looking online maybe this will help, this is what was on the cover of the package I bought:
    Plaid Bucilla Stamped Cross Stitch
    Butterflies in Flight
    Stamped Pillowcases
    Contents: Two 20in x 30in embroidery pillowcases (50% cotton/50% poyester) stamped in washable blue ink, with instructions. Floss not included.

And then it has in tiny letters on the package:
    PlaidOnline.com

I just looked up the site and if you type in stamped pillowcases in the search window then if you click on "results" tab then it will show you what they are selling.

Hope that helps Beth!

Best to you,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: shop.PlaidOnline.com

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

oh yes! Thanks, Sandra. Plaid is a good old crafter's friend! I'll be on a quest. LOTS of great choices...Thank you for your help! (Grandma's Christmas present!!)

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are most welcome Beth! Glad I could be of help.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

Wow, beautiful. My mother started my sis and I out with embroidery when were were quite young. Most of mine has just been outline and cross stitch, so I am very impressed with the satin stitching and have to say these are such joyful designs and your work is immaculate. It's a very loving gift and I'm sure your g'mother will enjoy them.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Calliope. My mom taught me a little about embroidery when I was a kid, but I was never as good at it as my mom and sister. I am getting a little bit better at the satin stitch, but I eventually want to learn how to do other embroidery stitches, always something new to learn. I can't wait to give these pillowcases to my Grandma for Christmas though. :-)

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Sandra they are beautiful! I love any and all hand work. I embroidered on denim jeans and jackets when I was in my teens.

I am using bluework for the 'Walking in a Winter Wonderland' snowman quilt at the moment. I don't know if I'll ever attempt one as detailed as your beautiful work.

I am the oldest of 6 girls and my mother bought me a cedar hope chest. It was considered 'old fashioned' even then, I think it is really a good idea.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bunches Rosa. I hope you post a pic of your bluework for your snowman quilt, I would love to see that. I love handwork. Rosa you were blessed and very lucky to have a hope chest. We never had a hope chest growing up, but my dad's mom who passed in 2000 she had a massive hope chest - it was awesome and had wooden trays that sat inside the top of the chest and it was big enough to hold about 6 queen-size quilts. I was blessed with a son, but if I would have had a little girl I would have gotten her an oak or pine hope chest - my hubby is allergic to cedar so I can't have that in the house, even though it is good for keeping bugs and such away from things stored in a cedar chest. I don't remember what type of wood my late Grandmother's chest was made of. I think little girls should have a hope chest and that family needle art traditions should be passed on to younger generations. I agree Rosa, I think a hope chest is a really good idea.

Best to you,
    Sandra