Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Open for discussion

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

I would like to open a topic of discussion regarding a future Retreat...

I know many of you are followers of Bonnie Hunter (quiltville.com). She is a guru of scrap quilting. If you follow her blog (I don't, but Sharon told me about it), she has recently purchase a cabin in the N. Carolina mountains. It turns out that it is almost with spitting distance to Camp Cheerio (depending on how the wind blows)...would take her maybe 1 hour to drive from her cabin to retreat.

Here are the questions:
#1: would you be interested in having her do a workshop at a retreat? could either be 1/2 day or full day And/or a trunk show?

#2: would you be willing to pay extra fees to pay for her to do a workshop at a retreat?

#3: would you be willing to schedule a retreat at a different time of year if it meant getting her to come do a workshop?

#4: would you give up one day of your own sewing in order to participate in a workshop? [I think it would have to be an all hands on deck deal, with everyone participating; it would be hard to have some participate (pay extra) and not others given our sewing space.]

#5: would you be able to semi-commit to coming to a workshop at retreat if it were scheduled years down the road? [Her calendar is completely booked for 2014 & 2015; there may be a chance for 2016 depending, 2017 is partially open, 2018 is totally open] I find it hard to think 3 years in advance for something like this, but we could always schedule and then cancel down the road...

I do not know at this point what a workshop would cost. I would pursue that information if there were serious interest in retreaters. I would also have to coordinate with Camp Cheerio to see if/what other weekends/seasons they'd have us, and then try to coordinate both.

So, that's a lot of food for thought. Thoughts?

Comments (18)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I follow her blog (mostly) and I have had the pleasure of attending one of her workshops and a separate trunk show and a lecture. She is a knowledgeable, practical quilter and a very delightful person. For me, her lecture was fun, and I learned alot.
    I don't think her fees will be any less because she is close by- except we will have less in travel expenses to pay.
    All that said.......
    I can't commit to anything 3 years in the future :)
    I do not want to share my Retreat sewing time with a structured workshop.
    I do not want the added expense of a workshop or professional quilter at the Retreat. I admit, I have workshops and lectures available thru my Guild - which the Guild subsidizes the costs of these Professionals.

Bonnie Hunter has Retreats and trips that any or all of us could go to. It would be fun to coordinate with GW friends to go on one of these Retreats. I watch her QuiltCam - and pick up many tips & techniques actually watching her sew. I also have learned more about the old machines from her - she doesn't teach this in her workshops.
    I also think she plans on using her cabin for Retreats at some in the future.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Yes to all questions!

I attended her trunk show at the Jacksonville FL quilt show a couple years ago and highly recommend it. I was new to her techniques then so I would love to hear her speak again, now that I'm even more familiar with her work.

Just a thought: she does often speak at shows and it may be possible to arrange a day with her before or after a show. That way, we could hit the show & buy a little fabric, maybe spend a day or two sewing, and get a workshop with her - all in one package.

Kate

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have mixed feelings about it. I would love to go to one of her workshops, but I also love the way our retreat is set up and I am not sure if I would want to lose a day of it for a workshop. I do follow her blog and have all of her books. I am currently working on one of her quilts. That being said, I guess I would go with the flow though if the majority wanted to have her at our retreat.

Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Kate, the problem with coordinating around/at a show is that Camp Cheerio is no where near ANYTHING! lol not even a fabric shop!

Anyone is free to look at her calendar on her website...it's quite full, and many of her shows are waay out of state. Though I did see she's coming to my neck of the woods again.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Oh of course! Sorry.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Maybe we could add an additional day to Retreat..........
    I've added a link to her page - all about fees, workshops, trunk shows, etc. so people could get a better idea what it involves.
    I know our Guild books speakers and workshops 3 to 4 years in advance.

She does lecture and teach classes at different shows around the country. What is great about these classes, they provide the machines!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie Hunter workshops, etc

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Since this is going to take years to set up, another way to look at this is maybe go to her cabin when she has it set up for a day or half-day workshop the day after or day before our retreat. That way, our retreat would remain the same and Bonnie could stay home. If it was done mid-day the day before or day of, we could get to retreat for supper! You know we don't want to miss out on their food!

Jennifer, Maybe get Bonnie's thoughts on how she would handle something like this, if at all! Or, if there are options we aren't aware of.

I just thought it was something to consider......(I'm dangerous when not at the machine so much!)

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Sharon, you are wise! I will be at every retreat if I can possibly make it, so count me in. Before, during or after the retreat, I would love a workshop.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I first was ready to say "yes!" to all the possibilities, but there is one thing to think about - is the cost of her workshop or class to be divided up among those attending? What if now in 2013 we get 20 members to commit to attending her workshop at our retreat, then in 2017, half of those committed fall through and back out? It's one thing for a guild of 150 members to schedule a well known teacher and have the treasury funds to pay for that teacher. It's another thing for our retreat campers to pay for for such a workshop.

Just something to think about.....

Teresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I know of Bonnie Hunter, but can't say I'm an avid follower.
    #1: Yes - 1/2 day
    #2: Yes
    #3: Yes
    #4: Yes - 1/2 day
    #5 Yes
    The idea of a half day workshop before the retreat is appealing. I beleive Sharon has a good idea to inquire w/ Bonnie on how she might consider approaching this and Teresea brings up good points to consider.
    It's a challenge to think 3-4 years ahead, but if my crystal ball is clear ...I'd be willing for a half day before or during the retreat.
    Thanks a heap for thinking of us Jennifer!
    V.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I really like how the retreat is set up now. But, I would entertain the idea of coming early for a 1/2 day workshop.

Robbi

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

If the cost was reasonable I'd be up for a half-day workshop on Wednesday or Thursday of our retreat time, if the camp is willing for us to come early.

Teresa

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I don't know that I'd want to alter the existing plan that works so well. And flying back for two dates probably would be hard for me. But, coming early or leaving later to get in a class could be arranged.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll think about all of it and see what we might do in the future. This year will of course remain the same.

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

I kind of like the idea of seeing if she has anything going on at 'her' place around the time we are there that those that wanted to, could attend. I know some of us 'flyers' can get cheaper tickets flying different days so going in a day early might actually be a saving. However, 3 years is waaay to long to plan something that detailed. I think its a great possibility to keep on the radar, for sure.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Cheerio may be willing to let us come early and use the rooms, but not eat there. That would make coming a day early or staying later possible.

beverly

• Kristene Smith
    10 years ago

I like the idea of planning ahead and perhaps that coulde be the year I return to Camp Cheerio!
    Kristene

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

I'm not interested in doing this in conjunction with retreat. I guess I just like it the way it is. However, if most people want to try this, it's fine. I can't commit to coming far in advance though so that doesn't sound like it would allow for plans to be made. Maybe I could be on a "back up" list in case someone found out they couldn't come after they signed up. I've had the opportunity to see Bonnie's work so it's not something new to me. She used to be a member of my local quilt guild.
    (Not very helpful... was I?)
    Jeanne