Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

QOTD - Fur Buddies to help you quilt?

K8Orlando
9 years ago

It's been a while since we talked about the little buddies that help us quilt. On fb, cats and dogs seem to be among the top 3 topics. So, do you have a staff of assistants? Feel free to post pictures! (I'll post some later when I have access to my home computer. Yes, I'm sneaking a peak at the quilt forum from work again. Please, don't tell my boss!)

I've got 2 big dogs - both smooth collies - and 3 cats. All of them love the sewing room and any fabric they can find to lay on.

Kate

Comments (22)

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Obviously, my Jasper hates quilts and anything to do with sewing:

Thank heavens that never made it into a quilt... what was I thinking?

Next? ; o)

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I love cats but they make me very ill, many years of having them and being sick all the time finally sunk in. So no more cats. But dogs don't make me sick and yes we have one and yes occasionally she creeps into the sewing room because she is scared of storms, I let her stay but she has to lay down and behave. The first time she wandered in she almost knocked my Ottlite over and I banished her. (I managed to snatch it back up right before it hit the floor.) But I don't think she cares a whit for the quilts except for any I have on the couch, she tries to dig a dog nest in it to lay down if I don't keep it hung over the back of the couch when I'm not on it. I actually made her one with some doggy prints someone gave me, just big rectangles, no batting, backed with fleece, she actually lays down on it at the other end of the couch from me, after her Daddy straightens it out for her. (She's really his dog, I just come with the package.)

• loisflan
    9 years ago

No fur buddies at our house. We did have a feral cat for a while, or rather she had us. She came by almost every day for about four years for dinner. She'd come up on our deck and wait patiently until we fed her. It took months for us to even get close enough to find out she was a she. After a couple of years, I actually touched her and then pet her. She would finally come into the house, but I couldn't close the door behind her because she would bolt for the opening the minute I got close to the door. Eventually she let me rub her and she would purr, but she was still as wild as could be. My husband cut up venison for her and she ate it raw. She absolutely loved it. Then in June 2013 she disappeared. We were sure she was run over by a car or killed by a coyote. Then one day in October, there she was - just like no time had passed at all. She hung around for a week or two, and then she disappeared again. We have not seen her since. It's amazing how attached you can become to a little creature that gives very little in return. I still look for her.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lois, that's a sweet story.

Yeah, you can tell Jasper just hates fabric!

My cats have always been attracted to the quilts but recently the dogs have taken to them too. I was laying this quilt top out a couple nights ago to cut the backing and I couldn't keeps the dogs off. Some of you have seen Scout pictures before, but Tyra Rose is new. She's an 8 year old smooth collie we just adopted 4 weeks ago. Scout is 8 as well; we adopted him when he was 5. She's friskier but he's larger and stronger, so their play time is well matched.

This is McQueen. He is my special quilting buddy, as you can see. This is not unusual; he'll often lay on whatever I'm sewing.

Jack Bauer on a quilt:

Boo the cat with Scout the collie. Best chums.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

McQueen is very handsome... and I'm sure he knows it!

Your last picture is just too sweet! So much for mortal enemies! The next thing you know, we will see Vikings and Berninas snuggled up together on the same sewing table or something!

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

McQueen is very handsome... and I'm sure he knows it!

Your last picture is just too sweet! So much for mortal enemies! The next thing you know, we will see Vikings and Berninas snuggled up together on the same sewing table or something!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Love the pet pix everyone. My dogs and cat rarely get into the upstairs sewing room, because I have to keep the door closed so it won't get too hot. I think my black dog Sadie 5 mostly likes it up there because her favorite carpet is there. The golden, China 8, hates stair climbing with his bad hips.

Gotta add pix upstairs. Haven't got them on the ipad.

LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Willow on Mom's bed (store-bought bedspread).
    And I have forgotten how to post multiples! I think Kate told me how last time and I haven't since, so lost the info.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

China, rescued at 3 yrs. from Taiwan through Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue. Now a much meatier guy.
    This pre draught park lawn is his favorite quilt because it involves lots of ball!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Sadie, rescued at age 8 weeks, golden Mom and 10 black litter mates.
    Her game is hobbling her brother when he chases the ball and streaking after hers. She's my quilt buddy upstairs, but I don't have any pix of her there.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, McQueen is very handsome and YES, he knows it!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Kate, what lovely blue eyes he has!

This is a great thread - I love seeing everyone's fur babies. :)

Neither cat helps me sew much, but they are often a nuisance when I'm knitting or crocheting! And Penny loves to wreak havoc by dragging her big fluffy tail across the computer's touch screen.

This is Penny.

Donna

• msmeow
    9 years ago

And this is George. He's always into everything!

Donna

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

I love that imperious look cats get! Wonderful pix Donna. Great bunch of quilts too.

My fur babies started their push for dinner. What's with their stomach timers? How do they know when 5 o'clock rolls around?

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

We have one very hairy husky! And even if he liked doing stairs, he'd never be allowed downstairs where my sewing room is. There is no way I could keep his dog hair off of anything in that room!

Love seeing all your friends!

• calliope
    9 years ago

This is my wild child, Wee Willie Winkie. He was a mercy adoption from a litter of three kittens found by the road by my vet's tech, motherless. He was so tiny when I got him, he wasn't even steady on his feet yet and like many kittens who are parted from their queens too early, lacked a lot of social graces. He's finally turning into a loveable fellow, but still quirky.

Yes, he likes the sewing room, but has gotten out of the habit lately since he found the rag rug in a downstairs bedroom and spends most of his cuddling time on it. Mostly when I am sewing he lays on the floor by my machine and just keeps me company, but he has an obsession for my pin cushions and tries to bite the pins out of it. Makes working a bit more tedious when I have to hide the pincushions. He's still sporting a bald spot under his tail from where he lost his manhood.

• polardream
    9 years ago

This is my fur baby, Penny. She is a 7 year old miniature Australian shepherd and loves to play ball. No matter when or what I am quilting, she brings the ball and wants to play. I am trying to sandwich this quilt ... not an easy task! When I am at my sewing machine, she usually tosses the tennis ball into my trash can next to the machine because she knows I will dig it out and throw it for her. Smart girl.

Sue

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Amazing how well trained we are by our dogs ;-)
    So many cuties.
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    9 years ago

This is Toby. He was a "drop-off" at our Church, rescued by the Music Director, who already had three cats. Our previous cat had just died so even thought I had said "no more", I caved. He is not terribly affectionate but he does like to stay close by. He is very good at helping to lay out a quilt.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Haha, Theresa, I've had that happen many, many times! It seems they just can't resist something laid out neatly on the floor. :)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love all of these pictures! Thank you for posting them!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

My fur buddies prefer snoozing on finished quilts. At one time they were hanging out with me in the sewing room; however, if I did not give them the attention they thought they deserved, one or the other left me a present to express their displeasure. Upon discovery of such, and not being sure which left their mark, they are not permitted in the sewing area unless supervised.
    We have reached a happy place again and I'm happy to say Baxter (laying) and Zoey, do visit while I'm engaged in quilting and bring me a toy so we have some play time in "mom's" play room.
    Love seeing everyone's little creatures that grab our hearts! Lots of kitties...aacchoo! Lois...great story about your visitor!
    V.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida