Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

winter ufo is now fo

calliope
10 years ago

Tubby and I share the daybed as our 'crash' site to flop and lounge, so he felt it totally appropriate to christen the newest quilt I finally finished off this morning before starting my daily chores. This is the Depression Block pattern and I fell in love with the tessellation and made it in the traditional 1930s manner with recycled scrap material for the most part. It was my late winter sewing project, but I've had little time or desire to work on it during gardening season but tired of it laying about in my sewing room. No more quilts in progress now and giving it a rest until I get inspired, prolly in the dog days of August when only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun.

Comments (15)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It's perfect! May you and Tubby (he's adorable) enjoy this for many years to come!
    lovely quilt...enjoy!
    V.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very nice! Congrats on getting motivated to finish it.

Donna

• bev2009
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. I can't wait to make mine from the Lotto blocks. Enjoy your quilting rest and gardening!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

It's a lovely quilt. The more subdued colors suit that pattern very well. Nice work.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Very nice. Isn't it amazing that such a simple pattern can turn out to be so dramatic.
    Theresa

• day2day
    10 years ago

It's lovely. Hope you and Tubby enjoy it for many years to come.
    TFS.

Scrappies are my favorites!
    I like to use this pattern with scraps. I have made at least 3 of them over the past few years.

~Geraldine

• calliope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev..........mine started out as three lotto blocks I missed the deadline for sending in. Decided I'd like a quilt in this pattern and the rest is history. Yes, the more subdued work on this one if you decide to do it totally scrappy instead of against a solid background. I used 6 colour groups......burgundies, greens, browns, purples, pinks, blues and matched the two parts of each HST with a lighter against darker of the same colour. As DH came in to see the progress he expressed concerned about how busy the pattern was, but after it was all put together says he likes it. I used the $2 brand newy quilt batting I found at Goodwill and the seven yards of brown cotton to back and bind it in a. Also from somebody's quilting stash donated to GW and spent one dollar on. So, this quilt cost me three dollars and some of the thread out of pocket. The rest was stash-busting. Thanks for the kind words.......it was fun, but glad it's done. And I'm a poet and didn't know it. (My Daddy used to say that)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Perfect-O!!! It looks like it belongs, right along with Tubby!! You did good!

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Looks great on the daybed and Tabby sure is enjoying your efforts....Love scrappy and the block. I have some to put together sometime, another UFO to think about. TFS

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Lovely. I love that pattern; I'm sure you will enjoy it. It looks perfect there.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Perfect quilt for the daybed. You both will enjoy this quilt.
    I applaud your perseverance in completing this quilt.
    I've always liked this block, but I'm afraid the boredom of making those HSTs would drive me crazy. So proud of you!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I love your Depression Block quilt. Congrats on finishing it!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Oh, and the quilt too ;-) I love the subtlety of the color scheme.

LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Tubby is adorable and the quilt is gorgeous. I love love love this pattern and it looks great scrappy. Good job!

Kate

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Great job, the scrappiness (is that a word?) is particularly charming. I too like these more subdued shades.

Yours looks so perfect on that daybed, like it & Tubby have been friends there for years!

I recently cut my own blocks of this pattern, is a GREAT pattern & I learned of it here. Maybe once my air conditioner is installed, I'll think about working on it again.